Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

over-rev with durametric

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default over-rev with durametric

Hey guys - just bought the enthusiast version of the durametric tool. Works pretty good. I would have to say VAG-COM for VW/Audi is much more robust, but this will have to do for under $300

I bought it to clear an EVAP code that was triggering a CEL. While I was in there I took a look at the over-revs.

Number of ignitions range 1: 75 / 512 hours
Operating hours counter: 614

Some range 1's nothing else. I would say this was a good buy for a 4 owner car with 16k on the clock - no?

One other thing - there's an Airbag fault in there, but no light in the cluster. Is this something to be concerned about? If the airbags were malfunctioning in any way wouldn't they trigger a light on the dash?

Back to hunkering down in Massachusetts.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
louwill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help you but glad to read about the tool. I have a B7 avant and a prior B5 S4 owner so nice to see a comparison with the VAG tool. I will likely pick one up as it is probably nice to have.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewgt3
Hey guys - just bought the enthusiast version of the durametric tool. Works pretty good. I would have to say VAG-COM for VW/Audi is much more robust, but this will have to do for under $300

I bought it to clear an EVAP code that was triggering a CEL. While I was in there I took a look at the over-revs.

Some range 1's nothing else. I would say this was a good buy for a 4 owner car with 16k on the clock - no?

One other thing - there's an Airbag fault in there, but no light in the cluster. Is this something to be concerned about? If the airbags were malfunctioning in any way wouldn't they trigger a light on the dash?

Back to hunkering down in Massachusetts.
There's more to evaluating a car than just ensuring the overrevs aren't scary.

Much more.

Regarding the airbag warning light... Does the airbag warning light come on when you first turn the ignition key to the engine on (not start) position?

The airbag light should come on then go out pretty quickly though the airbag system checkout can take a few more seconds so the light may come on then go out, then come back on if the airbag (or the safety restraint system) controller detected a problem anywhere in the system.

If the airbag warning light is burnt out or missing be sure none of the other warning lights are burnt out or missing too.

Can you read the number of air bag deployments with that tool?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

upon startup the airbag light comes on and goes out like normal.

I understand there's more to these cars health than over-revs, but I was pleasantly suprised to find no range 2's.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewgt3
That's very low occurance for range #1. Most recent happened right about 102 hours ago. I am sure you understand there are 6 over-rev ranges for the late model Porsches.

Quick Reply: over-rev with durametric