Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT-Update: My son is home tragedy averted miracle walking in my house!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:10 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default OT-Update: My son is home tragedy averted miracle walking in my house!!!

For those of you who shared my tragedy of almost losing my 16 YO son due to concussion then drug overdose, I want to let you know those of you who prayed for me and my family, your prayers were answered. He is back home after 6 weeks of ICU, nuerological unit in Reno and Childrens Hospital in Los Angeles/Hollywood.
What I have seen in the last 4 weesk can not be attributed to anything else than the support I received here and from my own family.

From the Coma, to recovery, to coming home really is something I cant grasp. Considering the other tragic cases I have seen now in the children that were my son's fellow patients in both Reno and Here in Hollywood, I as a scientist can not explain what I have just witnessed.
From the Doctors in Reno telling us there is not much chance for coming out of what happened, to the recovery and the SHEER speed of his regaining his facilities, I dont know how to quantify what I have just experienced.
To have people like you all PMing me Emailing and praying for us must have been so OEVERWHELMING to God that he had no other choice but to grant your wishes.
The Neurologists told us on July the 8th after the first MRI and CAT Scan that there may not be much chance of coming out of the coma.He did later that day.
I read his hospital report from Mammoth and one page really jumps out. Its his transport order from the head Dr. in Mammoth- It reads CRITICAL-UNRESPONSIVE-CLOSE TO DEATH.
The same doctors telling us it could be months before he progress out of stage 4 of the 10 step recovery process, it took a week.
The doctors told us it could be 6-8 months before he could fully walk again if ever, and we were given a walker on the last week of his stay there before being transferred to LA Childrens. He walked out of Reno without the walker with only a slight wobble.
The Dr's told us he will be in LA Childrens for 6-10 months for completing rehab to be strong enough to go home- it was 3 weeks.
The Dr's Told us to contact our school district to put off his Junior year for Speech, occupational and Physical therapy that will be needed this year, to us taking him school shopping today at the Mall in Palmdale, he is one week ahead of school starting. Complete with new Pac Sun Clothing.

Example after example of this tragedy being lifted off our shoulders in a miraculous minimum about of time which was all against every time table the Dr.'s gave us.
Dont get me wrong he is still in a very tender state kidney wise and one alcohol or drug episode would be devastating. But you would not be able to tell him from any other teen at the mall today.
And after I saw tragic case after tragic case at both Reno and LA Childrens that werent progressing that well to contrast the lightening speed in which Sean progressed- I dont know who else to thank but those of you here who were praying for us.
Not only that but he is a perennial poor math student and for some reason he spent the 3 weeks at LA Childrens pushing to learn Alegebra!!??

Again thanks everyone I just dont know how to thank you who supported us.
Thanks to you all. You all are very special people

Paul G.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:24 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWESOME
Old 08-13-2011, 01:42 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

This is awesome news! Sounds like there's still a long way to go but very happy for your family and the miraculous turn of events so far. Made my night.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 AM
simsy
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Great to hear Paul.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:41 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

I don't personally know you or your family, but all the same I am happy for your son's fantastic recovery and wish you and him all the best.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,854 Likes on 2,395 Posts

awesome news paul
hang in there and help him fully recover!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty, since I am home alot of the time now,- I have a math minor,- I am going to do some of his
cognitive rehab at home AND teach him some math. I havent taught a class before but I have coached
all kinds of sports from little guy soccer to middle school basketball to varsity HS baseball. I should be able to teach some math.
thanks guys
Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Most excellent Paul! My wishes that all continue in the right path.

I noticed your comment - "... Considering the other tragic cases I have seen now in the children that were my son's fellow patients in both Reno and Here in Hollywood...". This is the harsh reality. Hospitals are full, every day, of people suffering and fighting for their lives. Those of us who are healthy, live oblivious to those problems but they are real and we only realize it when it touches us.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ah Tony, the Childrens hospital is a crushing blow to your hope for all. This morning when we left there was a beautiful little girl maybe 4. ALone in a chair on the floor my son was on. She almost looked middle eastern with BIG blue eyes if you can imagine and she as alone in her wheel chair crying. As happy as I was to be taking my son home, it broke my heart to see that new little girl all alone in the big hospital her parents only God knows where.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Great news!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is splendid news! your son has a strong spirit. good luck to your family.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:44 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

That is great news Paul. Thanks for sharing.
Best to your family.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 223 Likes on 107 Posts

Superb news!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Good news indeed and fingers crossed for you!