Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
I double clutch on downshifts, and I also like going down to each gear for timing. Skipping just feels strange to me. Let me share something I teach my students learning heel toe and proper downshifting called the rule of halves. I'll suggest Road Atlanta 10a for example. If you begin your braking at 200' in 5th gear, set up your 4th gear downshift at 100' marker (halfway), then time your 3rd gear downshift at 50' (halfway from your last downshift to turn in), and again 2nd at 25'. Since your rate of speed is decreasing, you have adequate time to make these shifts at the proper revs without a risk of over rev letting the clutch out with each shift. This works consistently in threshold braking situations with multiple downshifts.
I really like this idea. Will try it out for sure. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
The .2 RS has a shorter final drive ratio. 5th gear comes up on most tracks where a non RS from 996 GT3 and up have pretty tall gears thus very rarely requiring 5th gear. At least with most drivers like us. I know guys getting into 5th with tall gears in places I can only dream of. Most of them are paid real money to drive cars fast.
Ahh, that makes sense!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
I double clutch on downshifts, and I also like going down to each gear for timing. Skipping just feels strange to me. Let me share something I teach my students learning heel toe and proper downshifting called the rule of halves. I'll suggest Road Atlanta 10a for example. If you begin your braking at 200' in 5th gear, set up your 4th gear downshift at 100' marker (halfway), then time your 3rd gear downshift at 50' (halfway from your last downshift to turn in), and again 2nd at 25'. Since your rate of speed is decreasing, you have adequate time to make these shifts at the proper revs without a risk of over rev letting the clutch out with each shift. This works consistently in threshold braking situations with multiple downshifts.
Nice plan.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlips
Haha, I agree about not looking at the speedo...that makes sense, I am not very brave in T11 and am only tracking out at about 95 mph.....I just can't seem to get over the wall looming up....
I hate that wall. And I have seen it reach out and grab a car.

Quick Reply: Downshifting