Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HELP..GT3 Cup Lower Control Arms..Learned Something Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

997.341.341.90 is not from a street car, as this number is not listed in the latest PET for any application.
On the other hand, I can't find it in my CUP catalogues.. I looked the 2006 / 2010.

Perhaps you have a highly collectable "stamped wrong" control arm.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Guy's...I don't understand the baseball bat trick nor am I going to attempt it....I think he was joking anyway...but ya never know with some of you guys on this forum.
they weren't joking ... but I think you should plead insanity if you roll the fenders on a new car ... dont forget the twinkies!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
997.341.341.90 is not from a street car, as this number is not listed in the latest PET for any application.
On the other hand, I can't find it in my CUP catalogues.. I looked the 2006 / 2010.

Special cheater parts straight from Weissach.....let the bids start!

Actually from looking at pics on line and just googling Porsche 997 GT3 Cup Lower Control arms I see my part number does not come up but in the pics what I have does indeed seem to be Cup LCA's...but like you said different part numbers.

Heck we could start a whole new thread and see who can find out this mystry part number.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

I googled Porsche 997.341.341.90 Lower Control Arm and it came up in a few places as a Cup car racing part.

Eddie nailed it, he knows his stuff for sure....When I got these from ViperBob I swore he said to get the Cup LCA's....but I foggy on this and very green at this stuff....Maybe ViperBob forgot what he sold me when I asked him the other day and he said GT3 LCA but I know he got these brand new from Porsche Motorsports back in late 2008.

GT3 LCA looks different, metal looks more unfinished and the ridges on the arm are different
GT3 Cup LCA is what I have in the pics with rubber bushings
GT3RSR LCA looks like what I have but no rubber, all solid bushings.

I ordered solid mono-***** and I have some AWD solid thrust bushings I got from Eddie, so basically I'll have a RSR LCA. Probably overkill for me...LOL

I believe GT3 or RSS Lower Control arms would be better for my car since my fenders are not like a GT3RS or GT3 Cup or RSR!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

you have these on front or back?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
they weren't joking ... but I think you should plead insanity if you roll the fenders on a new car ... dont forget the twinkies!
I thought everyone rolled their fenders to fit extra cheater rubber in
The real bat (retired from hardball use for fender modification)

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

you have these on front or back?
Front. I get enough camber with stock rears no problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^ maybe I am insane; anyway I have learned over the years to avoid doing anything (well almost anything) to my car myself as I invariably f**k it up, then spend days lying in a darkened room listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" trying to forget my own ineptitude ... contemplating the ritual removal of the offending hand etc etc
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

^ maybe I am insane; anyway I have learned over the years to avoid doing anything (well almost anything) to my car myself as I invariably f**k it up, then spend days lying in a darkened room listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" trying to forget my own ineptitude ... contemplating the ritual removal of the offending hand etc etc
Trust me the only work I do on my car it wash, detail, wax, swap wheels, brake pads, rotors and bleed the brakes....that is it.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I googled Porsche 997.341.341.90 Lower Control Arm and it came up in a few places as a Cup car racing part.

Eddie nailed it, he knows his stuff for sure....When I got these from ViperBob I swore he said to get the Cup LCA's....but I foggy on this and very green at this stuff....Maybe ViperBob forgot what he sold me when I asked him the other day and he said GT3 LCA but I know he got these brand new from Porsche Motorsports back in late 2008.

GT3 LCA looks different, metal looks more unfinished and the ridges on the arm are different
GT3 Cup LCA is what I have in the pics with rubber bushings
GT3RSR LCA looks like what I have but no rubber, all solid bushings.

I ordered solid mono-***** and I have some AWD solid thrust bushings I got from Eddie, so basically I'll have a RSR LCA. Probably overkill for me...LOL

I believe GT3 or RSS Lower Control arms would be better for my car since my fenders are not like a GT3RS or GT3 Cup or RSR!
As I said these are definitely not a street part number. This is very easy to check against the whole database.

But they are not in the 997 Cup parts list either.
I looked at the 7 cup series files.

2008 cup cars still used the 2006 arms:

they changed them in 2010 to

Perhaps it's one of the Porsche peculiarities. For example, some brakes pads have the correct, and corresponding to the PET part number on the outside of the box, but inside the part number is different. Same thing happened with a MAF sensor I bought for a 996 turbo.

Nothing to worry about.
Measure them, and then you can compare them with the regualr GT3 arms. I am curious if they are indeed longer.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

thanks Slow for the info. If I had Gt3 arms I'd measure them but I dont. I'll go measure mine anyway...do I measure from tip to tip? With out shim's I guess???
Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Guy's...I don't understand the baseball bat trick nor am I going to attempt it....I think he was joking anyway...but ya never know with some of you guys on this forum.
I don't think he was. That's an old school trick for rolling the fenders. Basically you use the bat to gently bend the inside fender up inside the fender. Not for the faint of heart. Especially on a 100k car If not done right, you can crinkle the paint on the fenders. But it does work and adds a bunch of clearance. Tire rack rents a fender rolling too that clamps on to the hub and uses what looks like a skateboard wheel to accomplish the same thing. Then again you you got CL's so scratch that option. Yes, I'm going to keep breaking your ***** for getting the gimmicky CL's when you could have gotten 5 lug I can only hope Porsche drops them by the time the 991-3 comes out and I'm car shopping again.

I don't know anything about these suspension components. Way over my head. Do you really need to change this part? What is the advantage? I get the toe links and some of the bushings... Maybe see how this car works for you on track before changing parts?

When does your car come in? I'm really excited to see it. I don't think I've seen a GTS in person yet. Seems like its the best of both worlds with porsche's current street car lineup.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Dog, The Carrera GTS does not come with LCA's that will allow enough camber so I needan adjustable LCA. When I bought these I just called ViperBob up and told him I need more camber for the r-comps and to get me some Porsche LCA's and this is what I got...Cup car one's.

I really don't know what would actually be better for my car the GT3 LCA's that are a little shorter but still adjustable with shims or the Cup car LCA's that are a little longer and adjustable with shims. Heck I'm confused too! The Cup LCA's do give me a little wider track up front and that can't be bad but I believe it messes with my wheel offset where wheel manufacture say this will fit and look like this and actually with my wider front track the whole wheel is pushed out a little further than they realize.

Now that I understand all this a little better I can go into buying wheels and get the offset right this time.

Listen, don't be all hatin' about the CL's... Ima playa and dats what my beotch picked! ;-)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Dog, The Carrera GTS does not come with LCA's that will allow enough camber so I needan adjustable LCA. When I bought these I just called ViperBob up and told him I need more camber for the r-comps and to get me some Porsche LCA's and this is what I got...Cup car one's.

I really don't know what would actually be better for my car the GT3 LCA's that are a little shorter but still adjustable with shims or the Cup car LCA's that are a little longer and adjustable with shims. Heck I'm confused too! The Cup LCA's do give me a little wider track up front and that can't be bad but I believe it messes with my wheel offset where wheel manufacture say this will fit and look like this and actually with my wider front track the whole wheel is pushed out a little further than they realize.

Now that I understand all this a little better I can go into buying wheels and get the offset right this time.

Listen, don't be all hatin' about the CL's... Ima playa and dats what my beotch picked! ;-)
This suspension stuff is black magic. Way too confusing. I would probably take Randy's advice and call Roger at Orbit. I don't understand ANY of those parts and exactly what they do. Seems like you adjust one thing and then another is out of whack. I leave it to the pros.

Your pimp hand is weak! A true playa would have told his baby's momma he was gettin' 5 lug 19's and that would be the end of it Then again I know your wife and its easy to understand who's running that show
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Dog, yeah I've got to make up my mind on who is installing my lower control arms, and rear toes links....the dealer before delivery time, Vortex or when the car goes down to Gavin at Auto Quest for the roll bar and harness install and seat mod?....or take a day trip over to Orbit and let them install it all and drive back across FL.

Ain't gots no baby's so ain't gots no baby's mama... but I gots me a fine azz Queen Bee!

Quick Reply: HELP..GT3 Cup Lower Control Arms..Learned Something Today