Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

where is best place to buy R6's and PCCB pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default where is best place to buy R6's and PCCB pads?

Where is the best place to buy R6's and PCCB pads?

2010 GT3 with PCCB and 18" BBS wheels

I am going through my R6's about every 3 to 5 track days and my same for my brake pads (stock PCCBs). This is getting expensive. Where is cheapest place to buy these tires and pads? I am located in Arlington, VA. Somewhere local or mail order? Ideas, please?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the wear and heat pattern like on the R6's. Shoulder wear and nything less than five days suggests camber or inflation mistakes.

For tires, I suggest finding a local Hoosier distributor sponsoring local teams. www.hoosiertire.com otherwise, tirerack.com is very good and usually has stock on hand in 19's.

For pads, suncoast or any of the Rennlist sponsors will save a few bucks -- only use the factory fitment stock pads on PCCBs.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

I get excellent wear out of the R6's. No shoulder wear. I have a track setup on the car. I rotate the wheels after 2, 3 or 4 sessions (depending on how enthusiastic I feel about it that day). I could probably could go 20+ sessions (maybe even more) but the heat cycles kill the grip much sooner than the rubber wears away.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It's about time you switched to steel. You'll get much better pad wear. I just changed my front pads, Pagid RS19, which I put on in March and got roughly 14 days. When I ran the PCCB's with stock pads I couldn't get two events out of them.....4-5 days max.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I get excellent wear out of the R6's. No shoulder wear. I have a track setup on the car. I rotate the wheels after 2, 3 or 4 sessions (depending on how enthusiastic I feel about it that day). I could probably could go 20+ sessions (maybe even more) but the heat cycles kill the grip much sooner than the rubber wears away.
You might try getting a second set of wheels and then doing a heat cycle break-in and letting the R6's cure.

I also suspect that the heat of understeer and oversteer do harm (and prevent the tire from peak grip) so you might consider any tracks where there are sweepers and take hot pit tire temps without a cool down.

I think it's reasonable to see the peak grip drop off after 20 cycles (!) so unless you've got the budget or the need to strive for personal best times every session, there's ample fun driving to be had on an R6 as it falls off its best.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bman
It's about time you switched to steel. You'll get much better pad wear. I just changed my front pads, Pagid RS19, which I put on in March and got roughly 14 days. When I ran the PCCB's with stock pads I couldn't get two events out of them.....4-5 days max.
Do those days really count if you are sidelined with flat tires and broken turbine thingys?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bman
which parts did you use? brand/model, etc., for the switch to steel? what was the cost of the parts, please?
thanks BMAN, now go get a real GT -- 3 not 2!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Clarke - call Paul at Radial Tire (Silver Spring).
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah... What Ryan said!

-KJ
Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

which parts did you use? brand/model, etc., for the switch to steel? what was the cost of the parts, please?
thanks BMAN, now go get a real GT -- 3 not 2!
PM sent!

Originally Posted by rmag
Clarke - call Paul at Radial Tire (Silver Spring).
Originally Posted by KJinDC
Yeah... What Ryan said!

-KJ
X3 - Paul's a supporter of PCA, a racer and knows his ****e. He took a close look at the flat I had, took the wheel apart and repaired it. It only cost me the price of new HO's.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suncoast pricing on PCCB pads is nearly impossible to beat. Their UPS prices however are exorbitant so be sure to look at final total pricing when shopping.

Tirerack offer heat cycling which @ $15 a tire is a heck of a value. I toured their warehouse in Sparks NV last week and saw how they did it. Actually mount the tires to wheels and run in on an electric motor drive roller device until tire comes to temp. Then, in the 48 hours or so it takes for the tire to transport to you, voila'!, it is properly heat cycled. For those who don't Hoosier advises one week is the optimal rest time for the first (approx 20 minute!) HC.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

so what does this heat cycle then wait a week (or the tirerack version) do for the tires? how does this help?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

I ordered full set of pads from Suncoast, even with regular UPS shipping $21, saved over $200 from local cost on same set
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

so what does this heat cycle then wait a week (or the tirerack version) do for the tires? how does this help?
Per Hoosier themselves: http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/tctR6_A6.pdf

The first laps for the tire are critical for setting up the durability and competitive life. The first session should consist of no more than 10-15 minutes of running. The early part of the session should be run at an easy pace, with the speed gradually increased until the end of the session. The final lap should be run at the fastest possible speed. The intent is to achieve maximum tire temp on the last lap. At this point the car should be brought in and the tires allowed to cool at a normal rate.
During the initial run-in process, the inflation pressure should be 3-5 psi higher than you would normally use. The best progression would have the driver taking 4-7 laps to accomplish this break-in. Each lap should be approximately 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the previous lap. The goal is to have the tire temp as high as pos- sible on the last lap without “shocking” the tire during the warm up laps. In essence, no wheelspin, late braking, or sliding. The last lap should be at, or very close, the maximum possible.

After completing the initial run phase, the length of time the tire is allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not “the next day”). Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would allow a week before using the tire again.
And also Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=66&

The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Dredging up an old thread....

I would be curious to see how many heat cycles (or approximately how many track days) folks are getting out of their R6s.

OP:
1) 3-5 days on stock pads seems crazy! I would expect more than than, and have personally seen than that (although with probably more conservative braking than you). How much thickness remains when you change them?
2) sorry again about my ceramics!

Last edited by drl; 01-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: where is best place to buy R6's and PCCB pads?