Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

carbon fiber roof teaser pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 AM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber roof teaser pics

excuse the poor quality camera phone pictures., I will take some better ones and post when the project is completed..
Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

looking good, I hope you have some pics of the project, I'd be curious to see how it is done
can you see the carbon fiber from the interior ? or is it just a cover on top of the OEM roof?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
looking good, I hope you have some pics of the project, I'd be curious to see how it is done
can you see the carbon fiber from the interior ? or is it just a cover on top of the OEM roof?
From the close-up, this CF panel is replacing the metal roof of a 997.1 (sunroof) GT3, which I seem to recall was going to become Estoril Blue, but I just searched and I can't find any more information on it. In any case, I think a sunroof delete thread for 997.1 GT3 owners is interesting. I hope this includes at least a half cage to compensate for the reduction in roll-over strength.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

I have been thinking of doing a similar project with a 1 piece OEM (steel or aluminum, I don't know what metal it is) roof but since the car has so many options and unnecessary weight it makes no sense at all.

I guess my next car will be a no option with just A/C and radio
Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
I will post all the pics after the whole project is done..

You can see the naked carbon fiber from the interior right now, but it will soon be hidden behind some alcantara..

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
From the close-up, this CF panel is replacing the metal roof of a 997.1 (sunroof) GT3, which I seem to recall was going to become Estoril Blue, but I just searched and I can't find any more information on it. In any case, I think a sunroof delete thread for 997.1 GT3 owners is interesting. I hope this includes at least a half cage to compensate for the reduction in roll-over strength.
correct, the carbon roof is replacing a sunroof.. car is actually blue turquoise. The car used to have a full roll cage, but I had it removed (no space for the dog) I don't plan on taking the car to a track. In any case, I don't believe there is any reduction in roll over strength..

The mold for the carbon fiber roof was made by purchasing a new OEM roof skin (for sale if anyone wants it) and it really is unbelievable how flimsy and delicate it is.., almost to a point where you have to hold it from both sides, because if you hold it from only one, it will break..

I think all the roll over strength in these cars is from the pillars..

Originally Posted by sin911
I have been thinking of doing a similar project with a 1 piece OEM (steel or aluminum, I don't know what metal it is) roof but since the car has so many options and unnecessary weight it makes no sense at all.

I guess my next car will be a no option with just A/C and radio
I don't know about the weight of all the options, but I can tell you the heavy items in this car.. the roll cage was a behemoth, it is crazy how heavy that thing was., next was the roof and sunroof, followed by the seats, and then the exhaust.. I could be wrong, maybe the stock exhaust is heavier than the seats..

And I can tell you for sure all the weight saving goes out the window when my fat 220 lbs *** gets in the car..
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

It's more like this: Seats, exhaust, battery, sunroof

-The seats weigh around 55 lbs each
-Exhaust system is 80 something lbs
-Battery is 42 lbs
-Sunroof delete, I don't know this one but guessing around 25-30 lbs

Quick Reply: carbon fiber roof teaser pics