Tire Rack test the Michelin PSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tire Rack test the Michelin PSS

Read the test report here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148. I think they like the PSS. I'll be mounting a set of these very shortly as a dual-use street/track tire.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

These are getting great reviews, as soon as my OEM Sport Cups are done I'm get a set of these for the GT3

They will double as my rain tires at DE events, and for the very limited street use that the GT3 sees. I had to drive home from a AX with the Sport Cup and got caught in a heavy rain storm, not much fun.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a set in one of my cars 2 weeks ago. They are fine in dry conditions, they are supposed to be great in wet conditions.

My RE-11 stick plenty better in dry conditions. It doesn't surprise me as the SCCA street tire classes are not running PSS, they would if the PSS were better than RE-11, RS-3, R1R, Z1, ADV-08.

A great street tire, for dedicated street use. For combined street/track I prefer the RE-11.

That TireRack comparison is not helpful, the competitor's tires are low grade compared to the top of the line street tires available today.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried these at the track yesterday for the first time - during Peter and Randy's Mancation stopover at Mosport. I had my young son with me in the car so I wasn't pushing anything.

My initial feedback:
- they need scrubbing to get the release agent out - no where near what I found with with R888s but needs some for sure
- cornering loads aren't Hoosier or RA1s but it has to be extremely close to the OE spec MPSC+ for cornering
- it was either release agent related, tread depth related, both, other, but I was getting into ABS under braking - I want to wait until day 2 on the tires to see if this will go away - I reduced my alignment specs to run these tires - it seems to have worked well when I look at how the tires got scrubbed - my new specs are:
Front: -2.2 with 0 toe
Rear: -1.75 with 2mm toe in

- the ABS on braking issue as I said above may be new tire / release agent related
- I run green P50 pads on the ceramics - might have been better on the stock pads - may still be better next time so I want to wait

- the corner at Mosport where you do your heaviest braking is into 5a - as you are going into an extreme uphill you can brake very, very aggressively - this is where the ABS unit didn't like my 'usual' approach - I had to back off some - I also had my son as I said earlier so I was taking it easy to begin with

- the other fast braking corner is after the long straight into #8 - no ABS issues here just less stopping Gs than Hoosiers

For the Track-light crowd (few days a year, drive to the track without trailer), order a set of these - you will be happy.

I ordered the set of 245 fronts and 305 rears for my 997 gt3.mk1. The height of the 245 is taller than stock, so for anyone that is really picking on rubbing or runs a lower than stock ride height, you probably want to stick to the 235 front as it is stock height.

I don't have a good estimate in terms of times, as I was driving with my son, but if I had to guess, at Mosport where I lap with R6s at a DE pace of 1:35 and with stock MPSCs+ at 1:39, my guess is these are 1:40 given the braking (this could change as the tires wear)
Old 07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I tried these at the track yesterday for the first time - during Peter and Randy's Mancation stopover at Mosport.
What were you running for tire pressures (hot) with the PSS? I will be trying these on the track very soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

997gt3North, how do these compare against R888's?

Thanks for the report!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
997gt3North, how do these compare against R888's?

Thanks for the report!
I can answer this one. I recently ran at Pacific Raceway outside of Seattle in my '09 C2S with both tires back to back.

The day dawned kind of wet and dreary, so I swapped out my track wheels with R888s (which I had just put on the night before) and remounted the street wheels with the Super Sports. When I got to the track, it was unexpectedly dry (it had been pouring at my house). I ran two sessions with the Super Sports, and then my wife called and offered to bring down my track wheels. My wife rocks.

Anyway, so I ran the last two sessions on the R888s.

The differences between the two tires were interesting. Lap times were only about a second faster on the R888s (though this was a brand new set and would probably pick up a little more speed after a few more heat cycles). The main difference was the Super Sports were just SLIGHTLY less planted. I didn't notice it until I switched to the R888s, which seem to grip a little more constantly and firmly than the Super Sports, but the Michelin's are pretty amazing for street tires. I was also a little more consistent with the R888s; I think that's because they were just a little more predictable and because their limits are just a bit higher I could approach their max cornering ability (or, probably more accurately, my max cornering ability....) without exceeding it and having to compensate.

Overall, I was really impressed with the Michelins. Great tires.

Last edited by Laertes; 07-15-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks Laertes...yeah your wifey does ROCK!

I'm still up in the air about want 19" tires to get for track tires for my GTS. I've been running R888's for years on my Carrera S but want to try something different. I'm looking at MPSC in N0 or N1 to try out...also can't make my mind up on what track wheels to get for the GTS either as CCW doesn't make a center lock wheel. It's down to the inexpensive OZ cast or more expensive OZ forged or the 3pc Forgelines price in the middle.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Mike, I'm running the OZ cast wheels and the MPSC N0's and find them to be far superior to the R888's. Grip, longevity, predictability of the Michelin was better for me than the R888's.

Also, my street tire is the MPSS. Have to say that I like the tire - quiet, compliant and great grip. Gonna try them at the track next time, I think.

Can't say how long the OZ's will last, but, at ~$650 a wheel, how can you go wrong. Weight was very close to the OEM wheel...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
My RE-11 stick plenty better in dry conditions...

A great street tire, for dedicated street use. For combined street/track I prefer the RE-11.
Thanks NJ-GT,... that was going to be my question: how do PSS compare to RE11's.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
What were you running for tire pressures (hot) with the PSS? I will be trying these on the track very soon.
I tried for hot temps front 32 rear 36 - this seemed to work. This is by no way the definitive setup, it is just what I decided to try. With my son in the car I wasn't really testing anything other than trying to get an overall feel for the tires versus other tires that I know (R6, OE cups, R888s). Corner 3 at Mosport allows for a very long track out that you mat the throttle at the apex and just make small corrections as you look to the exit curbs - the tires seemed balanced at both ends given my new alignment specs that i mentioned and temps above.

If I had to pick one end of the car that I liked more it would be the rear of the car under acceleration - it felt very good for a street tire.

I would appreciate feedback as to what others have tried and whether any one else experienced ABS under braking where they didn't expect it. Again, on this issue, I want to wait until day #2 with the release agent fully out. Im hoping this issue is like what I felt with new R888s - ie the first few sessions were like driving on ice.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack test the Michelin PSS