Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trailering newbie- suggestions for my first trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you use the open-ended hooks (as above) just be very careful about tension on the strap ... if the car bumps up and down even an inch, the hook can get out of the hole in the jack point.

A simple trick is to put a bungee cord (elastic strap) on each tow strap to keep tension on the tow strap hooks. In general, use a design with a safety "trap" that keeps the hook closed around the attachment point.

Also be careful about load ratings on straps -- some display breaking strain, some show working or static load.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spare Tires

If your luck is anything like mine wrt blowing trailer tires, I'd bring a few extras. After blowing many tires over the years, I just replace then every two years without exception. Keep them covered when not in use to cut down on UV when sitting outside. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
So you use those vs the twisted snap hooks with rennline tow hooks? I was thinking those might be better. The twisted snap hooks are so chunky for the relatively smaller tow hooks.

Are you the original owner of mobonic's featherlite?
3rd owner.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you use the open-ended hooks (as above) just be very careful about tension on the strap ... if the car bumps up and down even an inch, the hook can get out of the hole in the jack point.

A simple trick is to put a bungee cord (elastic strap) on each tow strap to keep tension on the tow strap hooks. In general, use a design with a safety "trap" that keeps the hook closed around the attachment point.

Also be careful about load ratings on straps -- some display breaking strain, some show working or static load.
Not with those hooks. You will need a 2 feet (24") jump and I haven't seen such jump in a car strapped at four corners.

More than 20,000 towed happy miles with that setup. Used it with 996 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, Cayman, Fiat across country. Straps have to be really loose for them to fall.

MAC custom straps sells quality straps rated at 10,000 lbs each.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
If your luck is anything like mine wrt blowing trailer tires, I'd bring a few extras. After blowing many tires over the years, I just replace then every two years without exception. Keep them covered when not in use to cut down on UV when sitting outside. Good luck.
good year marathon and replace them every 10,000 miles or 2 years whichever comes sooner.

I had 3 blow-outs in one trip, and zero since I switched to Marathon.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
good year marathon and replace them every 10,000 miles or 2 years whichever comes sooner.

I had 3 blow-outs in one trip, and zero since I switched to Marathon.
amen.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't cross my straps. If one fails the rear end of the car won't be loose.

Goodyear Marathon are good tires. A lot of the import stuff is crap. Maxxis are pretty good too though.

Race Ramp will make you a custom transition set as well should you need them.

Replace or reweb your straps if they are cut or frayed. Don't let them dry in the sun if they get wet. They don't like UV light.

NHTSA Trailer Towing Guide: http://www.primotrailersales.com/Towing_Tips.pdf

Tire Safety: http://www.primotrailersales.com/Tire_Safety.pdf

Dexter Axle Trip Checklist: http://www.primotrailersales.com/ima...0Checklist.pdf

Dexter Axle Maintenance Schedule: http://www.primotrailersales.com/Mai...edule_2-08.pdf
Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

OK, you guys have sufficiently scared me - new tires going on today or tomorrow morning. They look old and cracked, and may well be original tires on that trailer (?)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the thread, but no one says why they would suggest NOT going through the wheels to strap get down. Is there a reason? So far I'm happy with this method.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
OK, you guys have sufficiently scared me - new tires going on today or tomorrow morning. They look old and cracked, and may well be original tires on that trailer (?)
Most likely they are. Get the stronger 225 D rated tires not the C loads. They're only a few bucks more and carry a higher load capacity = safety....
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brim
I've read the thread, but no one says why they would suggest NOT going through the wheels to strap get down. Is there a reason? So far I'm happy with this method.
I go thru the wheels in the rear and it's important where you place the straps. You want to angle them towards the floor D-ring not at the bottom of the wheel. This will keep the wheels from rotating which they will tend to do if they're not facing the attachment point....
Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 393 Posts

I use Raceramp TR5 and store them under the car

I cross the straps in front but not in back partially because there is more clearance from the spoiler.

I would prefer to tie to the wheels but in front the spoiler is in the way and there is a concern about damage to the wheel finish(even w/ the wheel pads) so I use the oem chassis tiedown holes, and added Rennline tiedowns to the rear.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by brim
I use the wheel tie down method and have also used the tire bonnet strap. The car chassis rides freely on its suspension that way. The tire bonnet strap requires properly located anchor points on the trailer two per tire strap.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When cinching down the straps, you want 2-3 full wraps of strap material around the mandrel of the ratchet. My Mac straps wrap 1/3 of a rotation with each full ratchet movement so I aim for 6-9 full ratchet cranks to be sure there is enough material wrapped around the mandrel.

If you don't do this then the straps could come loose. I had that happen once before I learned about this.

Cheers,
Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

On the cayenne u mite get the dreaded "check trailer lite" even though lites work. Also when u hook up the trailer plug to pepper. If the lites don't work it could be a blown fuse. Happened to me. Pepper has 3 fuseboxes!!! The tow fuses are on the passenger side(if u open door the side of dash use a screwdriver and pry panel off. No 1 fuse blew on me(15 A)(check manual for fuse designation on passenger side- I remember there are 3 fuses for tow). Cayenne tows great. Never had a problem with open trailers. No problem with surge brakes going in reverse. I went cheap I just used 4 ft plank of wood and placed it underneath ramp. Mike

Quick Reply: Trailering newbie- suggestions for my first trip