Purgatory until 991 RS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Spyder or Camyan R ...

although I am not sure you deserve either after parting with your GT3!
Tell me about it! I regret selling everyday. but it was the deal I made with my wife in order to get the Cup... so technically, I still have a GT3.. it's just not a road-going version.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Tell me about it! I regret selling everyday. but it was the deal I made with my wife in order to get the Cup... so technically, I still have a GT3.. it's just not a road-going version.
sigh ... we should never have given them the vote ... kidding!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

What is the mkt price for a 2011 Spyder with low miles and manual? low 60's?
dont think I have seen too many used, I think they spec in the 60's new, I wonder what the manual/PDK mix is like ... I am guessing that a lot of them will be PDK if the dealer had anything to do with the order ...

might not be too late to order one!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
sigh ... we should never have given them the vote ... kidding!
And there is only one place where you can post right now.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

still waiting for UPS!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm almost in the same boat. Sold my 10 GT3 and have a Cayman R on order. Should be here in the next few weeks. I too am waiting on the 991 GT3. Got a good trade on my 997 GT3. Enjoyed the hell out of it but the 991 should be a major leap forward. The word on the new 991 is that it is more "Cayman" like in handling due to new chassi/engine/transmission dynamics. For only $70K you get a lot of car. I heard there was a white Cayman R at VIR last week that was knocking down some RS's. It sounds like a phenomenal car for the price that will be an absolute blast to drive. I vote Cayman R first followed by Spyder. Good luck. You'll have fun either way.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the Spyder. It'll be a much better car for the street than the Lotus. I don't know if any improvements have been made to the Elise's interior, but the ones I've experienced were not nice places to be.

It sounds to me like your only hesitation on the Spyder is the color, which is understandable after the green. Maybe get it wrapped something more fun and call it good.

Seeing you go through this almost, almost makes me feel bad.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

Lotus Evora ... I owned a heavy modded Cayman S, but the evora just kills it.....

Super fast 458 italia like steering rack
Extremely well positioned shift **** ( high and close to the steering wheel)
Super Smooth for DD - one of the best working suspension setup....
Great for the track !!
Looks killer!
Super fun to drive and very reliable too!

You should definitely do a test drive with it!!! People find it heavy etc...
But you have to give it a try....
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Cayman R

1/2 price of a 2011 GT3, as fast or faster than Boxster Spyder without the inconvenient top. Get A/C and a nice radio with ipod link.

Randy Pobst lapped Laguna Seca in 1:42 with the 2009 Cayman S on regular street tires. The same test had the 997 GT3 at 1:39, but the GT3 has the sticky r-comp tires.

Cayman R on Sport Cups should be capable of 1:40s at Laguna Seca, that close to a 997 GT3, but cheaper, a full warranty and new car smell, plus there won't be many Cayman R on the streets.

None of the Elise/Exige can touch a Cayman Gen 2 at a track day, and they are inconvenient as daily drivers, depreciate badly, and no matter what they do, it's still a crappy engine (I have a 2003 Celica GT-S with the same engine).
All the reasons I went for Cayman R.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that most of the posters have ever driven the Elise, much less owned one. I had a 2005 Elise for 3 years and enjoyed almost every minute, except tracking it with Porsches was no fun because it just wasn't fast enough out of the corners or on long straights. But you don't need or want another track car, right? I thought the interior was fine although a little Spartan. The seats were comfortable for me (5'10"), even on long trips (like Philly to VIR.) I would avoid the sport exhaust - it's a little too loud for sustained street use. I stiffened the suspension for the track but there is no need to do so for the street. The non- sport suspension and wheel package, which is a little narrower on the front, is more enjoyable for back roads. The motor and tranny are strong and bulletproof - the only downside are they don't sound very impressive. As to general reliability, I had very few problems and all were easily and quickly handled under warranty. I would agree that the cars are fragile in the sense that if they are hit, it can be expensive, but the bonded chassis is extremely strong and roll bars are built in. I wouldn't trade my GT3 for another Elise but it would be nice to still have both.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Definately spyder. Or mint 993.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Spyder, and you won't even have to sell it when the 991 comes out, it's so different.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

spyder.

drive the elise first, and you will change your mind. they only look good on paper.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I need a toy to play with... not for track, but for fun on the streets.
I have a silver/black manual Spyder with the buckets, and all that is said is true - fantastic grip and balance, comfortable ride, smooth and linear DFI motor, Porsche build quality. However, it is less of a 'toy' than I thought it would be; it may be the lightest Porsche available, but it still feels like a grown-up car. The Elise/Exige do feel like toys in comparison, so that may be what you are after...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Laguna Dude,

My thoughts on the car: http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...s/spyder-sense

Additional follow-up after a week with a production example in British Columbia: http://www.excellence-mag.com/of-not...ill-impressive

Having driven Elises in the past, and noting your "toy" observation (which I agree with), it would still be a no-brainer for me. Spyder all the way. I'm not kidding when I say that it's my favorite new Porsche since the Carrera GT, and that it might be the best-handling factory Porsche I've ever driven. Spyder is stupid good.
Lots of comfort from your very credible recommendation. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Purgatory until 991 RS!