Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rockin' the Featherlite, thanks to fellow Rennlister

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Rockin' the Featherlite, thanks to fellow Rennlister

Thanks to mobonic - great deal on a great trailer!

I am new to car trailers, and he actually came to my house and spent a few hours on a Friday evening helping me set up the rig and load/unload the car for the first time. BIG thanks!

I'm pretty new around here but love this forum so far.
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very tidy looking rig. That black E Series is capable of raising the cabin temperature about 40 degrees over ambient!

Also, Macs Straps (http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/) recommends not using a crossover for a car on a trailer. The idea being that once all the slack is bounced out of the straps, the car will tend to move diagonally and, if a strap releases, the other three straps will tend to pull the car to one side of the trailer. Math types would think of this as resolving vectors. In short, they advise having all four wheels done the same way you've done the fronts. Sometimes this will result in the ratchet being too long, so they offer a direct hook for the ratchet:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/173/TieDowns

Also note the safety latch on the anchor hook of the left front wheel is not in place.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I know that Featherlite, those protective mats on the inner lips looks familiar.

By the way, it hurts to see such a nice car strapped by the wheels, use the 4 jack points underneath, crossed to avoid lateral moves (difficult with the 3110 due to the sand paper like floor), a big road bump can move the car, it did it to my Fiat on one trip.

Congratulations
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
By the way, it hurts to see such a nice car strapped by the wheels, use the 4 jack points underneath
Congratulations
Car is at RSS as we speak, getting the bypass, a couple other goodies, and the Rennline tow points. Many here seem to prefer the wheel tie downs, but I opted to use the jack points.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Also note the safety latch on the anchor hook of the left front wheel is not in place.
It had lost its snap. Those Mac tie downs are on loan until I determine optimal length for my own, once tow points are on.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Very tidy looking rig. That black E Series is capable of raising the cabin temperature about 40 degrees over ambient!

Also, Macs Straps (http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/) recommends not using a crossover for a car on a trailer. The idea being that once all the slack is bounced out of the straps, the car will tend to move diagonally and, if a strap releases, the other three straps will tend to pull the car to one side of the trailer. Math types would think of this as resolving vectors. In short, they advise having all four wheels done the same way you've done the fronts. Sometimes this will result in the ratchet being too long, so they offer a direct hook for the ratchet:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/173/TieDowns

Gee, that's a shame. I've been towing my GT3 for 4 years on the same model Featherlite with the Mac Tiedowns. Through the wheels on the front, rears crossed with Rennline mounts on the chassis. The car has never moved side to side or front to back, even over some pretty rough bumps. Never a problem with front alignment either. Hmmmm
Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Gee, that's a shame. I've been towing my GT3 for 4 years on the same model Featherlite with the Mac Tiedowns. Through the wheels on the front, rears crossed with Rennline mounts on the chassis. The car has never moved side to side or front to back, even over some pretty rough bumps. Never a problem with front alignment either. Hmmmm
I've done the same for years. The video at the Mac site reports their testing after customers reported failures (all with cars that have more suspension travel than a 911 ... cars that will pull down several inches on the springs when on the trailer.) I think they go on to offer the option to add two more straps to cross strap if desired. Personally, I still cross strap because my trailer setup simply leaves no space (and that's something I'm changing.)

My main concern is that the vehicle must be secured for an emergency braking and that might involve a lane change off to the shoulder for example. I've had a couple of these incidents over the years and happily the 911 never broke lose. I put the 911 on the trailer engine-forward and put straight straps on the front tires (no load on the steering gear while it's bumping down the road and the strongest hold for a panic brake.

By the way, Mac also recommends having as many turns of fabric on the ratchet as possible to prevent it slipping. Apparently some of the slack one might notice after a while can be in part from the ratchet, not just the car moving.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

drl,

Sweet setup.

When is the next track day?

You going to Big Willow this weekend or Fontana next month?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Well, it just goes to show there is always room for refinement and improvement
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Big willow sunday is the plan. I was supposed to go to buttonwillow last saturday but had to bail last minute.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

I was at Button last weekend. Had just a few cars in our group including another GT3. It was fairly wide open the entire day.

I am debating Willow this weekend because of the 405 situation. Are you going to go up the night before? or, just drive up I5?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

I'll be going the night before. Actually, I will most likely have an errand in OC sometime during the day, and I'll just go from there.

The 405 may create some problems...but I don't care. Since I missed Saturday I really want to get the car on the track.

Was it pretty miserably hot on Saturday?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Actually, the heat wasn't too bad. They had the misters on so everyone stayed in the shade or in the club house.

The didn't affect the tires as much I thought they would.

This weekend should be slightly cooler at least that is what the weather forecast says.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since no one else mentioned it.... retighten the straps a few miles after you initially tighten the bleep out of them. Also retighten after it sits for hours or overnight.

I ran my cup, boxster, and current 996 many miles on my 3110 hooked to the jacking points without any movement including a few trips to Miller. I miss that trailer...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM
jp175
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I think I know that Featherlite, those protective mats on the inner lips looks familiar.

By the way, it hurts to see such a nice car strapped by the wheels, use the 4 jack points underneath, crossed to avoid lateral moves (difficult with the 3110 due to the sand paper like floor), a big road bump can move the car, it did it to my Fiat on one trip.

Congratulations
Agreed 100%, use the 4 jack points. Get some t-hooks at Northern Tools. No sense in altering your set-up as it has happened to many guys I know.

I have the same trailer......great trailer!!

Quick Reply: Rockin' the Featherlite, thanks to fellow Rennlister