Mr Preuninger made me buy a pyrometer!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
A3)
Still trying to figure out the point of your facepalm....
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

so 1"30" is 0.517 degrees and he says car has optimal cornering traction with such camber? It is BS.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd rather have even tire wear, instead of premature cording anyday of the week. Andreas isn't paying for his tires.....
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have recommendations on a good pyrometer?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyP
Had a long chat with Andreas at the Porsche Cafe at Goodwood on Saturday. I was very keen to ask him a few questions:

Q1) Why did my car have to have it's rear ARB bushes and drop links changed at the 12,000 service (as in the service manual)?

A1) They had found that the material that the bushes were made from could 'dry' over time and could create a notchy movement of the ARB causing irratic rear axle movement under load. Changing the bushes and the droplinks at 12,000 and 24,000 miles illiminates this risk, long before it could occur.

Q2) Are the new Centre Locks the same?

A2) Yes - exactly. Just the 500Nm script removed. He faught against this but the legal people wanted it changed.

Q3) My ABS seems to activate very early compared to other cars I've driven.

A3) He asked what Geo I had. I told him 3 degs up front and 2.5 at the rear. He almost spat his dummy and asked why you track boys go so extreme on road tyres!!! He said that these figures would cause early ABS activation and upset the balance of the car. He said that the 1'30" that is in the manual has been proven by his team to offer the fastest track set up!

He did however say that the factory settings should be checked when new as he thought the accuracy of the fac setting might be a little suspect!!

So - I've bought a probe type pyro and will get some figures this weekend. I'll be torn between cooling the PCCBs down and getting the tyres in hot!!!! I feel a rather faster in lap coming on - with no brakes!!!!

Thanks Andreas!!
I'm not sure where the pyro comes into the conversation other than to prove AP wrong about the camber settings (which, as notes, have incremented for the 4.0) and anyone can plainly see that some tires "like" a lot more camber (Hoosier) than others (Sport Cups) ... I'm finding 2.5 woefully inadequate on a 3.8 RS for Hooters, so I'll go to 3.1 front and 2.5 rear -- toe out at the front, about the same toe-in rear. And drop the ride height until the lower arms are hz. I'm open to opinions on other settings. I have the bars at the factory settings, but I'm tempted to go one stiffer at the back axle -- without turning the thing into a drifter.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:31 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drdrank
Anyone have recommendations on a good pyrometer?
I use an Anritsu Pyrometer with a 1000 C max temp and recalibration capability.

There is a difference between cheap and expensive pyrometers (mainly the quality of the thermo-sensor, the length of the probe, accuracy, etc...)

A good one (like the ones used by pro-teams, etc...) will run you around $1500 or so for the unit and sensor. For inexpensive and foolproof temperature checking, rotor thermal paint is always great.

The Pyrometer is only as good as the person behind it, and the quality of the equipment. Brake temperatures need to be logged right as the car comes to a stop in "pit lane". Also, the pyrometer readouts can change on many variables (length of pit lane, car's position in pit lane, etc...)

For the average DE driver, and for a lot of pro-teams even, thermopaint is still the most trusted way of checking rotor temperatures (on steel and C-Composite disks).
Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I'd rather have even tire wear, instead of premature cording anyday of the week. Andreas isn't paying for his tires.....
I'm open to opinions on other settings.
I have re-alligned the car 8x now and think my allignment is OK.

I only use my stick it into the rubber pyrometer for tire temps only. I know when the brakes are too hot ;-)

My car is daily driver, so for that reason and better tire wear on track I go medium settings.
Hoosier rear needed -2.5. Perfect even wear, temps very close inner middle outer.
When going to Toyo, I dropped rear camber to -2.1 ->1.9 ->1.7 still wearing a bit on the inside, but left them there.

Front I don't car much because they barely wear anyway so I left them at -2.5 seems to wear even.

Lowered the car 10mm front and rear.

Zero toe front. Toe out would be a bit better but it gets annoying on the street. It works OK with bar full soft.
Rear toe; 2mm in each side, bar middle. With new tires maybe the rear bar could be full stiff, but usually rear tires are crappy, so I leave it in the middle.

CUP lip, Max wing + Gurney and CUP 38/52 LSD.

With this setup, I have to make sure the front is planted before going on the throttle on tight corners, so maybe most other drivers might hate it because it will understeer a lot if you drive understeery.

With Hoosiers the bars might have to be different.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
so 1"30" is 0.517 degrees and he says car has optimal cornering traction with such camber? It is BS.
I believe 1d30m = 1.5 degrees as there are 60 minutes in a degree.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Correct.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
...With this setup, I have to make sure the front is planted before going on the throttle on tight corners, so maybe most other drivers might hate it because it will understeer a lot if you drive understeery...
And this is the real issue I think. Lots of drivers don't get the nose down at turn in and read this as an understeering car. Not any of us driving gods on here though!!! Ha!

I'll be driving the car ar Donington this weekend. Hard. Will see how 3' and 2'30" takes it's toll on temps and make a call after.

Let you know how I get on.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
yep, right, not sure what it was with me, what i got there was 31 min deg value.

going back to topic - can anybody recommend a good DIY home set for alignment?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

I always go with an alignment which cheats toward even tire wear. Sure, the pyrometer doesn't lie, but I'd much rather go with an alignment which is fun to drive (no understeer) and gives me good wear which doesn't require tons of rotation or flipping.

You also have to remember that you gain dynamic camber on less stiffly sprung cars, so the camber needed may actually be less than on a more stiffly sprung car, depending on the driver. I love RA1's and NT01's, but with my 700#/800# springs, and big bars, they need lots of camber to wear evenly because of softer sidewalls.....and no suprise when the wear is even, that the handling is very neutral.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Very much dependent upon tire choice. And as Mvez noted- the stiffness of the car. Much angst and gnashing of teeth as one driver has one comment and another tries to make sense of it for his set-up. Wrong! And no need... only look at you own specific situation !

My 2RS is perfectly fine with stock alignment settings ("geometry" for my Euro friends ) on its Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. No need at all for deviation from suggested factory settings. It handles quite neutral out of the box. Voila' and lovely. I would not, and have not, changed a thing.

Running the Trofeo's (on my 3RS, on an adjustable coilover set-up)...well they love the camber and don't bite worth a crap unless you have -2.4 or more. As Adam mentioned, the Hoosier slicks love the camber as well.

For a stock car on stock tires, the suggested factory camber is a very good place to be for a variety of reasons. Try and fix under/oversteer with ARB's not camber. If you don't know or understand how to tune with your ARB's then you shouldn't be adjusting anything on the suspension. Invest the time and effort into learning all the ways you can tune your cars handling.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Just cause you and Andreas chat every other day and go on holidays together as best buddies does not mean you have to agree wth everything he says ;-)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Savy....for the stupid in me....what is ARB's? Anti Roll Bars?

Quick Reply: Mr Preuninger made me buy a pyrometer!!