Virginia City Hill Climb with my '11 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 AM
nesormj
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A nice compilation of the event, with video, courtesy of Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110639990

For those of you on the fence about doing something like this, I can't recommend it enough. I think registration is set to open pretty soon for next year's event, which will be June 15-17, 2012.

And in the article that accompanies the video, I'm not sure who told Autoweek I have an ultra-rare '2009' GT3 RS. Make that 2011 please! And of all the video clips they captured, they show me dusting the RS. Seriously?

Jeff
Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 PM
timmp
Intermediate

Default F40 insanity

I ran my modified 348 challenge at the hill climb years ago, and after my runs were complete, I got to ride along with record holder Amir rosenbaum in his HIGHLY modified ferrari f40 as he drove the hill. Now, I used to race superbikes, so extreme acceleration doesn't surprise me much, but this car was a rocket ship - accelerated off the line like my 348, hmmm, but then the turbos kicked in and my helmet popped against the roll bar - every gear change - pop. When we approached the first turn I thought, "Accept death...", but the car just turned and shot out the other side of the corner. Now Amir had crashed the year before and had torn the suspension out of the car (at great expense), so I knew anything could happen, but at that point, you're just along for the ride. On the straight away my 348 topped out at about 110 - the F40 was still accelerating at near 140 when Amir slammed on the binders. The entire ride up the hill was one long series of oh-my-gods for me (a zillion hp, slicks, hillside on your right, air on your left, oh my).

When we crossed the line, Amir laughed and told me that the run was 10 seconds slower than his record, and apologized because my extra weight and all the runs on the slicks had slowed him down. Yeah, right.

A fun event, but loaded with consequence - the year before I ran, a participant died, and another the year after - I drove the hill with plenty of margin.

Enjoy!

tim
Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nesormj
of all the video clips they captured, they show me dusting the RS. Seriously?
A journalist is duty bound to report the truth.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just returned from Virginia City, NV, where I entered the Spectre 341 Challenge. Route 341 in Virginia City is a 23 turn, 5.2 mile two-lane paved road that was closed to the public for the weekend. Cars were sent up the 1200ft vertical climb roughly every minute.

I brought my 2011 GT3 RS, with 235/325 R6's in place of the MPSC's. Otherwise it was stock. I had run the hill in previous years with the Ferrari Club with my 2004 GT3, and managed a 3:23.360 with the 996 (which had 245/315 R6's and a 4.0 R&P, greatly aiding the launch and helping fight the oxygen-deprived air). I managed to do a 3:22.273 on the second day of competition in the RS, which I was really pleased with.

There were 3 other Porsches out of the 37 entrants: A very clean 04 GT3 driven by my friend Justin Wilson, a wild 74 911 driven by Duck Fuson (2300 pounds and north of 500 turbocharged HP - http://www.motormavens.com/2011/06/r...ity-hillclimb/), and an 83 911 SC.

Forced induction is the way to beat the hill into submission, since the climb begins at roughly 5000 feet elevation, and ends at 6200. Though my GT3 RS acquitted itself extremely well, 3rd place was the best I could muster. The winning ZR1 with 750rwhp (Lou Gigliotti driven) just edged out Duck for 1st: 3:14.449 versus 3:15.225. Incidentally, the fastest-ever time up the hill is a 3:10 in an F40 on full slicks.

Rollbar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlr73KZ6WsM

Splitter video (a little rattling from the GoPro inside its plastic case, sorry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWl-zagD-kU

It was truly a blast. Hope to see some of y'all next year!

Jeff
I was addicted to hillclimbs in my 20's -- I'd drive all over the place to compete in basically an unmodified street car (no call for roll bars or even an inspection of the car in those days.) The longest runs I can remember were barely more than an autocross duration (a minute and a half would be a long-ish run) but these were "real" hill climbs (straight uphill, often gaining at 10% or even 15% grades through hairpins ... no need to brake, just barely ease a big toe off the throttle and the car would slow.) I've been tempted to get into Pike's Peak of one of these wide open format climbs.

As for technique, it seems that the same basic rules of hillclimb apply to long and short format -- do sighting runs, make mental pace notes or even talk to yourself in the video, go back over the data, look for apex speeds, note the high-risk points and the low-risk points, where to link up the turns and exploit entry speed into the longer stretches of high speed, etc.

Looking at the in-car video of your best time, given the bobble (did you have SC/TC engaged? I assume so) and the various points where even 2nd gear or earlier on the power in 3rd would have helped, getting 3rd place suggests you could well be in contention with the purpose built cars -- just a matter of preparation and experience with the course to see how close the mere 450 horses of the RS can get.

I'd be tempted to head out there before the race and get a couple of dozen "walk through" drives along the circuit to start to memorize every shoulder, every pothole (and every cliff edge ...) I'd also be looking to overlay the video of the faster cars and see where they're making the time -- I'm guessing it's a combination of acceleration out of the hole and fearless top speed carried deep into the braking zones. This is where you'd need to have mental notes on sight lines for braking zones to be willing to hold wide open throttle those precious tenths of a second longer and pray that you don't end up "fast-in/slow-out."

I'll circle the calendar for Virginia City next year. If someone adept at coordinating these things gets involved, we could end up with a hundred Rennlist GT3's and RS's from all over the country converging on this event next year.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,632 Likes on 759 Posts

I like guard rails..
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
JDUBGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up Jeff!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont think jeff was "shuffle steering". he changes his grip a bit, but very rarely does his hands deviate from 3-9 o'clock. and for some unknown reason, he's quite fast

iirc he also did 1:37 at laguna seca in his 996gt3, so i would guess he can do 1:35 or so in the 2011 RS.
Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I was addicted to hillclimbs in my 20's -- I'd drive all over the place to compete in basically an unmodified street car (no call for roll bars or even an inspection of the car in those days.) The longest runs I can remember were barely more than an autocross duration (a minute and a half would be a long-ish run) but these were "real" hill climbs (straight uphill, often gaining at 10% or even 15% grades through hairpins ... no need to brake, just barely ease a big toe off the throttle and the car would slow.) I've been tempted to get into Pike's Peak of one of these wide open format climbs.

As for technique, it seems that the same basic rules of hillclimb apply to long and short format -- do sighting runs, make mental pace notes or even talk to yourself in the video, go back over the data, look for apex speeds, note the high-risk points and the low-risk points, where to link up the turns and exploit entry speed into the longer stretches of high speed, etc.

Looking at the in-car video of your best time, given the bobble (did you have SC/TC engaged? I assume so) and the various points where even 2nd gear or earlier on the power in 3rd would have helped, getting 3rd place suggests you could well be in contention with the purpose built cars -- just a matter of preparation and experience with the course to see how close the mere 450 horses of the RS can get.

I'd be tempted to head out there before the race and get a couple of dozen "walk through" drives along the circuit to start to memorize every shoulder, every pothole (and every cliff edge ...) I'd also be looking to overlay the video of the faster cars and see where they're making the time -- I'm guessing it's a combination of acceleration out of the hole and fearless top speed carried deep into the braking zones. This is where you'd need to have mental notes on sight lines for braking zones to be willing to hold wide open throttle those precious tenths of a second longer and pray that you don't end up "fast-in/slow-out."

I'll circle the calendar for Virginia City next year. If someone adept at coordinating these things gets involved, we could end up with a hundred Rennlist GT3's and RS's from all over the country converging on this event next year.
From what I can tell TC is off.

If you're referring to the bobble just after the 3.14 mark (left hander) that's a complete slide (nice catch) and that could be tough to get that sort of activity with TC engaged not to mention TC would of engaged from the 1st corner on.

Nice vid and nice driving. I could care less if you're driving with one hand. Results are Results.

Shuffle steering is not the right term for people presetting which is actually an advanced technique to allow for optimum hand position. I suspect some folks who insist on keeping their hands at 9 and 3 would be faster with BETTER hand position because it allows for the smaller quicker/sensitive reacting muscles to engage versus say your shoulder muscles (big and slow).

In other words you are better off using the muscles you brush your teeth with than the ones used when splitting wood.

Last edited by Fritz Flynn; 10-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just returned from Virginia City, NV, where I entered the Spectre 341 Challenge. Route 341 in Virginia City is a 23 turn, 5.2 mile two-lane paved road that was closed to the public for the weekend. Cars were sent up the 1200ft vertical climb roughly every minute.

I brought my 2011 GT3 RS, with 235/325 R6's in place of the MPSC's. Otherwise it was stock. I had run the hill in previous years with the Ferrari Club with my 2004 GT3, and managed a 3:23.360 with the 996 (which had 245/315 R6's and a 4.0 R&P, greatly aiding the launch and helping fight the oxygen-deprived air). I managed to do a 3:22.273 on the second day of competition in the RS, which I was really pleased with.

There were 3 other Porsches out of the 37 entrants: A very clean 04 GT3 driven by my friend Justin Wilson, a wild 74 911 driven by Duck Fuson (2300 pounds and north of 500 turbocharged HP - http://www.motormavens.com/2011/06/r...ity-hillclimb/), and an 83 911 SC.

Forced induction is the way to beat the hill into submission, since the climb begins at roughly 5000 feet elevation, and ends at 6200. Though my GT3 RS acquitted itself extremely well, 3rd place was the best I could muster. The winning ZR1 with 750rwhp (Lou Gigliotti driven) just edged out Duck for 1st: 3:14.449 versus 3:15.225. Incidentally, the fastest-ever time up the hill is a 3:10 in an F40 on full slicks.

Rollbar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlr73KZ6WsM

Splitter video (a little rattling from the GoPro inside its plastic case, sorry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWl-zagD-kU

It was truly a blast. Hope to see some of y'all next year!

Jeff
Jeff, what an amazing scenery, freaking fast lap and great driving line.

When did you get a GT3 RS 3.8? you were too fast already in the 996 GT3.

Please, be safe, no much run-off there.

You should try to get the participants to create a fund, to build more fences on critical places. This would be ideal if more events are going to be held on those 5 miles. Constructions costs privately funded for a public road to increase safety can't be bad.

I want to run a Hill Climb so bad.

Stay safe!

Rad
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 AM
nesormj
Track Day

Rad,

Thanks for the kind words. I picked up my 2011 RS 3.8 at the end of January. I drove my GMC/TPD out to Dallas to pick it up from Park Place Porsche and tow it home. Great experience there! Since I've had it, it's seen the usual northern CA tracks in addition to the Hillclimb.

Saying there's not much runoff there is an understatement. It was mostly familiarity carrying me through. I think this was my 6th or 7th time up the Hill, which definitely was an advantage. I've already signed up for the 2012 Hillclimb next June, and honestly, I don't think there's much more in the car/me! And I don't think I want to push any harder. Plus, 450 N/A HP at 5000 feet elevation is more like 380 HP. That wild '74 turbo 911 with 550hp and Lou Gigliotti's 750+ supercharged HP really make it tough to compete. Now a GT2 RS, hmm.....

Throwing in some guard rails would definitely be a plus. Since the Spectre 341 Hillcimb's first year (2010) had a fatality, safety was paramount this year. The organizers really went above in beyond in trying to promote a safe event. I'm not sure what would be required to get the Nevada DOT to install some barriers, as the hill itself goes through two different counties. But I suspect that the attendees of this Hillclimb and the September Ferrari/Shelby Hillclimb would definitely approve.

Speaking of my 996 GT3, I miss that car! I think it's on its 3rd or 4th owner by now. I so wish I still had it. That car was good for a 3:23.36 on the same Hillclimb, so it was well set up. And I remember it was you that steered me to the 4.0 R&P in that car. What a difference, especially at higher elevations... If anyone knows about my old Speed Yellow '04 GT3, last six of the VIN 692270, drop me a line...

Oh, Fritz... TC/SC was off for the event. I'm comfortable with the car, and didn't want it impacting my runs. Plus - it would have negated my tire spinning launches!

Rad, let me know when you're back in the area!

Jeff
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Awesome run! Makes my hillclimb runs look pedestrian in comparison If you get the chance, you should come out to the Knox Mountain Hillclimb, it's fantastic, and I think you and the RS would do great there.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 PM
JDUBGT3
Instructor

I'm getting pumped for June!!! I had to check in and watch your onboard video again. I'm already getting butterflies in my stomach and it's only Feb!

See you soon Jeff!

Justin

Quick Reply: Virginia City Hill Climb with my '11 GT3 RS