Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

24 hours of Nurburging

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPID
Just like a normal Sunday afternoon "Touristenfahrten!....
Doh - good point! although sometimes the "slower" cars are "faster" than the "faster" cars during TF laps!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, I believe those Scirocco's were running CNG as their choice of fuel. Throw in some rally legends and Jacky Ickx's daughter and you have a class winning team.

Sad that all the 'roided up Golf's ala GOLF24 did not do well at all.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking RL GT3 forum road trip to the 24 next year!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Ohhhh, would they have enough beer to cover such an invasion??
Maybe we get to stalk Chris Harris some more....
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Ohhhh, would they have enough beer to cover such an invasion??
Maybe we get to stalk Chris Harris some more....
Actually one of our number actually drove in the race ... and if I had been smart and taken the cash I have lost in the market over the last month ... I would have driven it too ... when will I learn???

it was pretty crazy; there were people actually arriving and camping for the VLN while I was there last week in the rain!

I have been reliably informed that you should not camp unless you like listening to drunken germans listening to German "shout music" for 24hrs ...

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I've been liquid for 6 weeks now..

But I'll stick to running the RS during touristfahren.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Anyone have any idea of they Manthey entered two cars with the same driver lineup? Was the thinking that by doing so they could avoid last years non-finishers? Seems that after some point they let one of the two cars go to the wayside and roll the dice fully on the overall winning car.

My thinking correct or what gives?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Anyone have any idea of they Manthey entered two cars with the same driver lineup? Was the thinking that by doing so they could avoid last years non-finishers? Seems that after some point they let one of the two cars go to the wayside and roll the dice fully on the overall winning car.

My thinking correct or what gives?
sounds plausible! - interesting strategy!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I have been reliably informed that you should not camp unless you like listening to drunken germans listening to German "shout music" for 24hrs ...

Uhhh...this holds true to any festival/outdoor event in Germany of which I experienced multiple times during my years in Germany. Not fun at all anymore
Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've been liquid for 6 weeks now..

But I'll stick to running the RS during touristfahren.
only liquids I have been associated with are tears and alcohol...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Uhhh...this holds true to any festival/outdoor event in Germany of which I experienced multiple times during my years in Germany. Not fun at all anymore

I'm too old to sleep on the ground anyway ... I want a steak on a stone, a big beer and a comfortable bed!

here's to next year!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

only liquids I have been associated with are tears and alcohol...
Is there other liquid then alcohol..
Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Anybody campling at the 'ring is well advised to go with a like minded bunch and to do some preplanning to organise their own lager, if they feel threatened by 'happy' heavy metallers in lederhosen.

One way is to enter a car and have a really comfortable race truck, big TVs, espresso machine, leather, marble floors are all quite standard.

There are villages only a few minutes away that have accommodation and charmingly delivered service and quiet. The place I go for F1 is only 8 minutes drive and is in another world, not many stars but a warm welcome.

Huge German crowds are surprisingly well behaved. I recall sitting in a large and popular biergarten in Munich with a bunch of friends from all over the world. As we looked over a crowd of thousands all we heard was a happy buzz, rather like a hive of bees. No fights, shouting or security louts. Anglophones and Scandics agreed it wouldn't happen in their homelands. Remarkable.

as far as non alcoholic drink goes, excellent apfelschorle, Spezi, and citron-based drinks are always available. Some of the mineral waters have very distinctive and pleasant flavours.

Finally, if spending time at the 'ring and you have the need for something special in the accommodation line there are flash joints in Bonn (Kameha Grand) and Cologne (Hotel im Wasserturm) or a little closer my personal choice - the best 'restaurant with rooms' in Germany, but its not to be wasted on those who aren't serious about food.

R+C
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 AM
GuyR
Racer

Agree with the above.

I've always stayed in the local guesthouse/hotels I use for TF, either very near the 'ring or in Cochem on the River Mosel (very pretty town about 30mins away).

It's great soaking up the atmosphere at the track, with the 200+cars, crazy outdoor sound systems and friendly fans, but it also very nice to get a decent nights sleep and decent breakfast.

We usually do the grid-walk, watch the start, then visit a few different track locations during the afternoon. Then head back to the Hotel/Restaurant for a nice dinner/drinks, then come back to the track for about 11pm to watch a few hours of night-racing. Sleep, quiet breakfast than back to the track for 2nd day.

My best memories of being there are at about 2am standing trackside, with fires going, music playing everywhere, beer in hand and 200+ cars going round with brakes glowing and crazy lighting/lasers on the cars. (They've cut back on the lasers since I first started going though).

Brilliant place, great people. I don't go to Le Mans because it's so full of English louts and I'm English.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p15ll...eature=related

Quick Reply: 24 hours of Nurburging