Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Smartycam reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have said this a few times Paul, SmartyCam will log GPS and Acceleromerter data. It will not log any other data from external sources. I am not even sure it has the ability, processing power, to do it. I have asked for this feature but it is the opinion that there are more valuable and useful tools for improving, including a display.

Don't get me started on why a 3 or 4 camera system is silly...
Old 06-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
Don't get me started on why a 3 or 4 camera system is silly...
Oh? So multiple cameras are silly to you? A camera on the feet or the hands or the head or the suspension or aero deflections is silly?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Cause I'm getting there but still confused.

Signed up for the AIM newsletter.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Oh? So multiple cameras are silly to you? A camera on the feet or the hands or the head or the suspension or aero deflections is silly?
Ok I will comment on this one only...

A camera on the feet is useless unless you are having trouble opperating the pedals or are looking for an obstruction in the footwell. A brake pressure sensor and a throttle possition sensor would be more valuable. Other wise the camera is there for entertainment purposses.

You can catch the head and hands with one camera mounted behind the driver. I see the use for seeing the hands to see if the driver is "busy at the wheel". I see no reson to look at the head.

Suspension is an area a camera may be mounted to look for problems. Mostly binding or rubbing. But again, this is for diagnistics or the "hey look at this cool video of my front suspension" not for improving as a driver.

Aero, yes cameras have been used to look at wing deflection. But if you are at this stage of the game you already have a full MoTeC or Magnetti Marrelli data system in the car with shock pots, tire pyrometers, steering angle sensor, full engine data etc.. And what are you as the driver going to do with this video, adjust the wing? All you can see is the wing deflecting you would need to look at the data and see if this is the cause of the problem you are trying to fix.

I would think that 99.99% of the people on this forum are not aerodynamicists. Most are track day guys and club racers.

I can see useing 2 cameras on facing forward and one facing the rear for scrutineering. Or for entertainment. But if we are focusing on a learning and improvement tool, I see no need for 3 or 4 cameras.

Also, have you ever tried to watch 4 streams at once? And the quality of each stream is not full 720X480, it is reduced.

Quick Reply: Smartycam reviews