Porsche School PSDS at Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche School PSDS at Le Mans

Rather goes without saying, but this would be a great experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dMnqUItOcI
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tricky little mini-part of the main course I've done enough laps on in a sim. But for the bucks they charge, wouldn't someone rather arrive-n-drive a real race car on one of the Euro legacy full circuits? Cuz I'm sure the 300 Euro difference between driving yours and theirs doesn't get you a whole lot of seat time, or even seat time at speed.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Tricky little mini-part of the main course I've done enough laps on in a sim. But for the bucks they charge, wouldn't someone rather arrive-n-drive a real race car on one of the Euro legacy full circuits? Cuz I'm sure the 300 Euro difference between driving yours and theirs doesn't get you a whole lot of seat time, or even seat time at speed.
I'm sure there's better bang for the buck, but I think the video presenter finds the gist of it: if you're in a position to burn $500 to $800 Euros on a one-time experience, it's a great thing to have a feel for driving even the truncated "Bugatti" segments of Le Mans and one of those "bucket list" things to store with your McQueen memories.

As for PSDS, they run things with no limiters and no restraints beyond safety measures (drive on the line and you can throw the car around like a rag doll, just don't lose control or get off line or they'll shut you down.) I've exchanged first-hand experiences by email with folks who've done PSDS driving schools in Europe, Australia, Canada and the USA -- everyone of us, no matter how jaundiced by the "dude ranch" type driving "schools" (Bondurant, Skippie, Russell, etc.) still come away ear-to-ear grins all round from getting a day (or three) beating the crap out of a new 911 at PSDS with somebody else doing the sweat and grunt work -- if you're already beating up your own GT3 car at the track, the real, actual costs for a day at the track are $500-1000 anyway, so to do a PSDS for about $1000-1500/day is a reasonable value, in my humble. Ice driving in Finland or Canada, tracks in Europe and Australia. Great "experiences" but not to be compared solely by the dollars to the -- in my case, penny-pinching -- matter of keeping a "track budget" for 10 or 20 days at local tracks in California.

Quick Reply: Porsche School PSDS at Le Mans