Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Pete u also don't like your cupcables- sell me for $100 : ). Mike
Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Asking for your guys' opinion on what a second -main but additional- good track car would be. Overall Goal: Lots of track days with cost-effective maintenance and a little less worry about potential damage.
Situation:
Bought a new '11 GT3 3 months ago -for the track, not DD- after having had a 997.1 C2S and still owning an '86 Cab. Tracked the GT3 a few times since and enjoyed the car tremendously. (Started to track 9 months ago with 15 total track days to date in C2S, 1.8T Jetta and GT3).
As I'm getting (feeling) better on the track every time I go, I start "wanting" all the stuff many of you put on your toys (better seats, roll cage, suspension bits etc.). At the same time, I want to keep the mileage under 10K for next 3 years until decision to trade for 991 or to keep is made. I also would like to manage wear and tear since I'm not that handy, not that I could not learn... Lastly, risking $125K, or more in terms of liability, every time I go to the track, makes me a little nervous. (Yes, I know there's insurance but it's very expensive).
So to keep the GT3 for a while with occasional tracking but to get another (cheaper!) car for main track use, what would be a good compromise?
Higher mileage 997.1? Lower mileage 993? A 996? (I'm afraid not -sorry 996 drivers- but I can't stand the headlights and swore a long time ago not to ever buy a "not round headlights" 911). How about a front-driver? S4, R32 etc.?
Requirements for second -main- track car:
1. Purchase Costs under $50K (hopefully closer to $35K)
2. Should be European-made, Audi or VW okay, no BMW
3. MX-friendly so I can learn some of that stuff (DO NOT want to learn CL's... but changing brakes etc. could be fun)
4. Mod and safety equipment-friendly (readily available, cost-effective)
4. Fun to drive with good steering but more power than a Miata...
5. I could (but prefer not to) trailer it if I "went all out" on mods...
Summary: I want to make a decision soon whether to
1) Keep the GT3 somewhat "pristine" to retain its value better but still enjoy some track days AND get something else to mess around with OR
2) Don't worry about the mileage so much (how much will it really matter?), put some stuff on it and face the risk it getting "bent" some sooner or later on the track. OR
3) Something in "between", I've missed to (re)consider?
Tx for your thoughts, Horstair.

How about this one ?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...de-street.html
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I've got a friend here in NorCal (Los Altos) who is going to be selling his 944T. It has race seats and cage in it, some useful suspension mods, R888s, etc. The owner is a P-car mechanic. Shoot me a PM if you want to get in touch with him. He's an older guy who has done maybe three track days in the car the last four years. I can't quote an exact price, but under $15k so a lot of car for the money.

Gary
Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tdf360
Hey, I've got a friend here in NorCal (Los Altos) who is going to be selling his 944T. It has race seats and cage in it, some useful suspension mods, R888s, etc. The owner is a P-car mechanic. Shoot me a PM if you want to get in touch with him. He's an older guy who has done maybe three track days in the car the last four years. I can't quote an exact price, but under $15k so a lot of car for the money.

Gary
Who let Gary in here? Unless he's thinking of getting a 911 (again)?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by tdf360

Gary
saw his 944T. so nice....
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm
Want a track car that runs very quick lap times, and needs nothing but gas and consumables, S2000. For < 20K you can run 1:31 @ big willow, sub 2:00 @ BW CW13, 1:23 @ Streets....

Want to run very very quick lap times for a bit more $$$, C5 Z06.

right on. and i have just such a car for sale. one owner and cherry.

Quick Reply: What's a good "second" track car?