Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels question

I have a 08 GT3 with stock GT3 rims painted black. Unfortunately, I clipped a low curb in my parking garage and now have about a 1" by 3" paint chip on the right rear wheel.

I am wondering what is the best thing to do. Here are the options I am considering:
  1. Do nothing, leave it as a reminder that this is just a car. It is my DD, so this is not a completely unreasonable thing to do.
  2. Get some touch up paint, and do a quicky repair myself. The main advantage is that you probably would not see the repair from 20 feet away. Up close, it would still look like crap
  3. Get the wheel repaired. The dealer recommends sending it out for powder coating. I am concerned that this won't exactly match the other wheels. The other problem is that this may take 2 weeks, and like I said, this is a daily driver
  4. Get new wheels, and trade these in. I think wheel enhancement does this. I know I want black wheels, but I am unsure whether it makes sense to go stock painted, stock powdercoated, or aftermarket.
If I went aftermarket, how do I tell what a good wheel is? The car is mainly a street car, so track oriented lightweight wheels might not be the best thing (i.e. there are generally no pot holes on track, but they certainly are on the street) Do aftermarket wheels impact the resale value of the car? I have heard that HRE and BBS make good wheels, are there others to consider?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

David
Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a body shop can use the paint code and respray the affected wheel - should not take too long... you could rent/borrow a car for a day or two
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

don't leave it or fix it your self ... it will only bug you ... if it's a minor scratch on the rim you can find someone to fix it in a day ... if you are in the bay area contact LUIS @ lmcartouchup.com he can come to you and fix it in a day for around $150.

wheel enhancement an do it too ... but it will take a few days ...

why is your dealer suggesting powder coating if your wheels are painted ... what prescription medication are they taking too much or too little of?

Quick Reply: Wheels question