Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trailex trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Trailex trailer

I picked up a Trailex 80180 sports car enclosed trailer this week to replace the 8045 open Trailex trailer I sold.

Pulled the new trailer back to Texas behind my 2011 Cayenne S with no issues even through the hard rains and wind in Ohio, Ky and Tenn.

I had bought the enclosed trailer basically on a "leap of Faith" as I had never seen one. The design as described on their website and the build quality I had enjoyed with the 8045 convinced me. I am completely happy with the purchase and the folks at Trailex that got it ready for me. It is expensive, but the peace of mind of having the car, spare wheels and tires and tools safely locked and out of sight when traveling is worth it. Weighing less than 2000 lbs pulling with a vehicle like the Cayenne is a piece of cake. Now to spend some money at "Pit Pal" for cabinets, shelves etc to have a place for everything and everything in its place. If you need a trailer, open or enclosed check out Trailex. They are customer oriented professionals that do it right.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:12 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Great product, but overall overpriced. Im sure you will enjoy it. Congrats.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Great product, but overall overpriced. Im sure you will enjoy it. Congrats.
I agree it is pricey but you pay for weight savings and I wanted lightweight
Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Cool. I ordered an 80180 as well. It's just been built and will be delivered to me this week hopefully. Pricey but should be worth it. I ordered it with the taller front access doors, flush floor box, electric winch, alu wheels with spare, and tire rack.

I plan on pulling it with my '11 Treg TDI. Curious, what are you using as a brake controller, and did you utilize the Cayenne's existing pigtail wiring harness under the dash? From my understanding, the '11 peppers and eggs share the same hitch setup with wiring. I'm thinking of trying one of those wireless Prodigy RF units so I don't have to mess with the factory wiring.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by masmole
Cool. I ordered an 80180 as well. It's just been built and will be delivered to me this week hopefully. Pricey but should be worth it. I ordered it with the taller front access doors, flush floor box, electric winch, alu wheels with spare, and tire rack.

I plan on pulling it with my '11 Treg TDI. Curious, what are you using as a brake controller, and did you utilize the Cayenne's existing pigtail wiring harness under the dash? From my understanding, the '11 peppers and eggs share the same hitch setup with wiring. I'm thinking of trying one of those wireless Prodigy RF units so I don't have to mess with the factory wiring.
I used the normal prodigy and the wiring is simple. VW dealers have the pigtail and you just have to run one additional wire. MY local Porsche dealer did it is about an hour. No problem with the LED lights on the Trailex either. Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

i have seen trailex both open and closed. i dont have trailex, i have a TPD which is equally as expensive, actually 50% more. but there are trailers and there are trailers. featherligth, ATC are nice, but they are not the same caliper as trailex. trailex does have issues. for example, it's not tall enough to stand up and is not big enough to carrey 4 sets of race tires on the rack. but it is very TOP quality. and the service from carl at trailex is top notch as well. if i didn't have all the crap to haul, i would have bought a trailex.

Quick Reply: Trailex trailer