Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS Lucky SOB

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The ring has the look of the wild, wild west. The only way I would like to experience driving there is thru a club. Lack the confidence otherwise!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Carrara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The moment I saw the title I knew it'd be at Brunnchen! Based on a bunch of videos, that looks like a very tricky and unpredictable turn!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrara
The moment I saw the title I knew it'd be at Brunnchen! Based on a bunch of videos, that looks like a very tricky and unpredictable turn!
Never been there, but the landscape reminds me of T9 at Summit Point. Subtle change in elevation between apex and track out (though at SP the change is closer to the apex). The car gets light going over the rise, and must be kept straight going in and over. Need to let the car "land" and settle before inputting any additional steering or throttle.

Laps on the Ring are on my bucket list.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
CODE BROWN! CODE BROWN!! CODE BROWN!!!
LOL!!

He would have been changing his undies for sure!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to say what happened here. I don't think the driver lifted, I think that section of the track (cresting, adverse camber) induces some unweighting (I know that's not a word) of the inside rear. This driver reached the point of "save it and lose face" or "try to hold it and risk a wipe out" ... discretion is the better part of valor in this case, but it should have been a more immediate transition to "both feet in" or perhaps the driver was right on the ball and allowed the car to reverse off the track out of the way of the following traffic.

Here's a prototype GT2 RS taking the alternate reaction and applying more power, but not counter-steering so much as to risk a tank-slapper -- you'd have to know the ring and be a helluva confident driver to take this approach once the rear of a GT2 RS started to move ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlatCran.../1/gOtE_x4zJj4
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

That is a tricky section.. prays worked for me twice
Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
jenk12m
Banned

That's what you call a " close call"...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Here's a prototype GT2 RS taking the alternate reaction and applying more power, but not counter-steering so much as to risk a tank-slapper -- you'd have to know the ring and be a helluva confident driver to take this approach once the rear of a GT2 RS started to move ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlatCran.../1/gOtE_x4zJj4
No doubt the guy in that video is PAID to drive. That says something about his skill level.

Either that or he carries his ***** around in a wheelbarrow.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took another look at that video on a larger computer display and it's just a monumental fail once, fail twice -- the spin occurs on the uphill section before the crest and was middle of the track, then he drives back into oncoming traffic.

Also, it's not necessarily a GT2 RS. The wheels have black centers, but silvers outers (the factory painted wheels on a GT2 do not have the silver outer.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
And he almost got creamed by the blue cupcake. He's no novice, though... locked her down as soon as she spun and saved his bacon.
Thank god that "blue cupcake" didn't panic and went right, otherwise a real disaster for the RS.

Too many vehicles with mixed driving abilities and $ values on the track at once for my liking.[/QUOTE]

Different values aren't half as scary as the different skill levels...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

he pinched the exit trying to line up early for the entry to the left after brunnchen. still pushing car to the right when extra energy bound up wanting to go left and when all the grip of the hill started dropping as it crests the car would have to rotate.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
RAPID
Racer

I believe his line was too tight, it is an easy mistake to do on exit from Brunchen, you should let you car run wide until you feel the grip is back, because the track is like concave shaped on exit (neg camber on both side)....
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
...Also, it's not necessarily a GT2 RS. The wheels have black centers, but silvers outers (the factory painted wheels on a GT2 do not have the silver outer.
According to a post on another forum, these pics are supposed to be the same car in the video.

Greg A
Attached Images    

Last edited by Greg A; 04-27-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
he pinched the exit trying to line up early for the entry to the left after brunnchen. still pushing car to the right when extra energy bound up wanting to go left and when all the grip of the hill started dropping as it crests the car would have to rotate.
Originally Posted by RAPID
I believe his line was too tight, it is an easy mistake to do on exit from Brunchen, you should let you car run wide until you feel the grip is back, because the track is like concave shaped on exit (neg camber on both side)....
Yep, I'd agree he was tight and he lost grip as he crested ... amazing that he managed to get it to do that ... the understeer on that exit is epic!

a very lucky man indeed that he didnt meet with some expensive armco...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrara
there are a TON of locations that are incident magnets arguably the brunnchen exit is one of the less likely ones ... unless its wet when the understeer is completely unbelivable, the entry is the more common place to make a mistake (early apex)!

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Lucky SOB