Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is it my toe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this thing is infiltrating a lot of minds. (mine, too)
You need both!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What tires do you run on track?

-2.5 camber rear is great for R6, but for MPSC and Toyo's -1.7 to -2.0 gives better tire wear.
Front i always good at -2.5 and drives fine on street with zero toe.

I run zero toe front and 2 mm, or about 0.1" each side.
I don't understand degree's or minutes not withstanding 911Slow's previous detailed teachings.

You need a CUP LSD and CUP tie rods in rear.
Peter, what is your rear toe per side in degrees? Anyone?

On my Lowly Carrera S I'm running 2.5 zero toe / 2.2 & .12 degrees toe per side....many say that is not enough rear toe for my car too. Anyone?
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Update:

It was definitely my toe. Now have 0.23 degrees (14 minutes) toe in at the rear per side - what a huge difference! The car is perfect. I was very fast. I love this car. LSD still good...for now -- look at you Rennlisters jumping to conclusions that it was the LSD without even knowing the car - shame on you.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Peter, what is your rear toe per side in degrees? Anyone?

On my Lowly Carrera S I'm running 2.5 zero toe / 2.2 & .12 degrees toe per side....many say that is not enough rear toe for my car too. Anyone?
I have to believe that it is not enough. The only reason you could get away with lesser amount of toe is if you have seriously modified the rear suspension (ie., replaced rubber parts with metal, stiffer springs, etc...)
Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Update:

It was definitely my toe. Now have 0.23 degrees (14 minutes) toe in at the rear per side - what a huge difference! The car is perfect. I was very fast. I love this car. LSD still good...for now -- look at you Rennlisters jumping to conclusions that it was the LSD without even knowing the car - shame on you.
Thanks for the update, toe is critical on these things. Now if I can just figure out how to figure out, in my head, how to go from degrees to mm

I run approx 2mm in the back with full metal.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnr265
I have to believe that it is not enough. The only reason you could get away with lesser amount of toe is if you have seriously modified the rear suspension (ie., replaced rubber parts with metal, stiffer springs, etc...)
Thanks...rear suspension is stock. No DE's for me until fall so I'll re-do the rear to before then....less toe this summer ont he street might help with tire wear.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks for the update, toe is critical on these things. Now if I can just figure out how to figure out, in my head, how to go from degrees to mm

I run approx 2mm in the back with full metal.
Is that 2mm per side or total? Is there some sort of online calculator for this? Yepers there is....I never had Calc or Trig in school, never thought I needed it....now I know why it would have helped...LOL

http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minute...calculator.htm

http://zonalandeducation.com/mmts/tr.../degMinSec.htm

or
http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/angle.html

Last edited by mdrums; 04-30-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

from working these converters it seems that .12 degrees is right at 2mm.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Thanks...rear suspension is stock. No DE's for me until fall so I'll re-do the rear to before then....less toe this summer ont he street might help with tire wear.
You're right; less toe will help with tire wear this summer for you. I couldn't believe how planted the car was in turns with full throttle...amazing and confidence inspiring! I bet the Carrera S does not need as much toe in at the rear than the GT3 since full acceleration will not cause as much "car squat" in the back as the GT3. If your toe settings are working for you and you are not losing the back while applying throttle on the turns, I say leave it at 0.12. My 2 cents.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

You're right; less toe will help with tire wear this summer for you. I couldn't believe how planted the car was in turns with full throttle...amazing and confidence inspiring! I bet the Carrera S does not need as much toe in at the rear than the GT3 since full acceleration will not cause as much "car squat" in the back as the GT3. If your toe settings are working for you and you are not losing the back while applying throttle on the turns, I say leave it at 0.12. My 2 cents.
You'd be surprised with the power of a 09 Carrera S with PDK. GT3's do not pull me on the back straight at Sebring and I 3RS does not run away from me on the straights.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

this is why good toe links are a common first upgrade........
Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

You'd be surprised with the power of a 09 Carrera S with PDK. GT3's do not pull me on the back straight at Sebring and I 3RS does not run away from me on the straights.
I know...im not putting your car down (I have one too), but there is a difference in squatting under acceleration. Your toe may be appropriate or you may need slightly more, but im pretty sure you don't need 0.46-0.50 total toe in. Are you having rear end issues? (That sounds kind of wrong )
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

from working these converters it seems that .12 degrees is right at 2mm.
Thanks, I'll try to figure it out. I'm at ~2mm per side at rim edge.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I know...im not putting your car down (I have one too), but there is a difference in squatting under acceleration. Your toe may be appropriate or you may need slightly more, but im pretty sure you don't need 0.46-0.50 total toe in. Are you having rear end issues? (That sounds kind of wrong )
I know you're not putting my car down..I never thought that...it's just that I was saying you'd be surprised at how much grunt it actually has with the 3.8 and PDK. Hey I'm the one how calls it my Lowly Carrera S.... I'm just happy to play in the 997 GT forum.

I misunderstood you....I understand that you are talking about the softer suspension in my Carrera S...yeah I totally agree. Not only does it squat it's rear down it leans over in the corners more than a GT car. My Lowly Carrera S even has the lower and stiffer Sport PASM option...still too much lean in the corners.

My next upgrade is rear toe links from Tarrett most likely.

Quick Reply: Is it my toe?