Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any recommendations for radiator grills?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
As soon as a buyer sees that something was drilled or not factory installed in the bumper it is a red flag.

With Porsche Motorsport screens, at least one can announce that they are the factory part made by Porsche for the sister CUP car....

Wont help resale value, but can help resale.
So why would you not pull them out then if buyer would question a part and potentially impact a sale? The best question a buyer can ask is no question. Or open up can of worms trying to explain how parts on your car are off a race car. Sorry just cant see the whole resale argument. But if it works for yeah, get em.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

ViperBob, I need screens for the Lowly Carrera S. Could be a good morning job then boating project?!?!?!

No DE scheduled till much later this year so no rush.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Just did Kevin's with his new Cupcar front bumper. Got black mesh screen from FVD (comes powder coated). Took about an hour to fit. Pretty easy. Cost was about $37 IIRC. You still need someone to take off the bumper. Do it at the dealer with the CG screens and you will have a nice $7xx+ investment by the time your done.
I went to FVD's site. The screens I found on there were actually about $240. Did you use something else? Sounds like I need to hire you to do this for me. I have no business doing anything mechanical to my car
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I went to FVD's site. The screens I found on there were actually about $240. Did you use something else? Sounds like I need to hire you to do this for me. I have no business doing anything mechanical to my car
If you want to buy pre-fab screens check out Cargraphic too.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
So why would you not pull them out then if buyer would question a part and potentially impact a sale? The best question a buyer can ask is no question. Or open up can of worms trying to explain how parts on your car are off a race car. Sorry just cant see the whole resale argument. But if it works for yeah, get em.
The reason why one wouldnt pull them for resale is due to the labour cost to remove bumper to get them out.

Best to leave them in money wise, therefore the potential buyers can also see the benefit of having them in. (leaves, birds, dirt etc..)

It is not hard to sell a GT3 buyer on the functionality of CUP screens which are only "sandwiched" in place and not drilled.

Porsche Motorsports may not be OEM on street cars, but it is the '***** Wonka' of Porsche Race parts that fit on the street cars and GT3 buyers appreciate it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Really guys? A couple hundred bucks for screens???
Customcargrills.com sells powdercoated screens...very tough. You take those and use a pair of metal shears (if you don't own go to Sears and buy some) to cut them to size. If you don't want to do the work, then go to your local indie P-car shop and have them do it...but please, for the sake of teaching those who rape Porsche owners...those that perpetuate the Porsche tax on silly items like screens, don't pay money for pre-made screens - which will still require you (or your mechanic) to remove bumper to install.

This is a REALLY easy thing to do...you can do it.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

deputydog, we need to have a little screen install party at my house, with ViperBob and some beer and food then go boating.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for radiator grills?