Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Getting the 'ole GT3 ready for summer / Rollbar Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting the 'ole GT3 ready for summer / Rollbar Installation Tips

Been about a month since I got the car, it's a 2007 Speed Yellow GT3. It's been really awesome thus far. This thing runs like a scalded dog! It was my dream car for a long, long while of hard work and saving (and getting married, which put the brakes on the project) and then giving my wife the Carrera 4 after teaching her to drive a stick shift, which is well documented in the 996 forum, and now finally is the in my garage car.

I've so far I've autocrossed it once, and have first track day scheduled for June with Kentucky PCA.

My first new goodies are here and ready to be installed. I got a set of 19" Sport Design Wheels with Pilot Sports (the idea being I can drive around on less expensive tires for errands and secret missions around town and use the stock wheels and cup tires on the track) and an RSS 930 Roll Bar:
http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss_4_poi.../i-402509.aspx

I was waiting to post in this forum until I had some decent pics taken, but now I come seeking more light as I plan on installing the bar myself, with the assistance of one of my fraternity brothers. How hard is this going to be? I got a list of steps and some tech support from the friendly folks at RSS:

930 Rollbar Basic Instructions

Tools Needed: Ratchet, 17mm, 15mm, 13mm, 10mm, 5/8”, E12, 5mm allen, and 6mm allen sockets, T20 and T30 torx drivers, Phillips screw driver, plastic wedge

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove seats.
3. Remove center console.
4. Remove parking brake handle
5. Remove door sill trim panels.
6. Remove the carpet lining covering the DME.
7. Remove B pillar trim.
8. Remove rear side panel linings.
9. Pull back carpet covering wiring loom covers.
10. Trim wiring loom covers and replace carpet.
11. Install rear side panel linings.

1. Install B pillar trim.
2. Loosely install rear components to the upper shock mounts.
3. Install front section of the 930 and torque all hardware. Torque 8mm bolts to 23N*m/17lbs*ft. Torque other fastening hardware to 50N*m/37lbs*ft.

Note:
For ease of installation it is permissible to pull the front half of the 930 together with a suitable strap, e.g., a ratcheting tie down. Before using the strap, be sure to adequately protect the painted/coated surface where the strap will come in contact with the rollbar.

15. Remove hard foam pieces adhered to the carpet lining that covers the DME. Carefully trim the carpet according to the templates provided and install. Some additional trimming may be required.

1. Install door sill trim panels.
2. Install parking brake handle.
3. Install center console.
4. Install seats.
5. Connect battery.

Please discuss.... Any protips or words of wisdom or caution will be much appreciated! Or, if you're in the Louisville area, I will buy you some beer if you want to come and supervise (provided you are of legal drinking age in the Commonwealth of Kentucky).

Thanks,
Bobby
Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have installation pics?

Quick Reply: Getting the 'ole GT3 ready for summer / Rollbar Installation Tips