Just got my first new GT3..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile Just got my first new GT3..

Hello Everyone!
I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say high!
I just started to track a year ago with my (wife's) 997S. Decided to go get a 2011 GT3. I have 200 miles on it now and plan to take it to Laguna next week. I've read the Porsche Manual about the 2000 miles break-in but would like to accelerate this a little.. I've read some of the posts about it but would like to hear any advice you guys might have. To share any tricks of the trade or gotchas would be appreciated.
Thanks and looking forward to be an active member of this forum. Horstair.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:41 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your car for many years by getting an experienced (GT3) instructor with you for a few sessions. Then drive the car a 6/10's for a few days. Wind her up slowly and grow with the car as you become acquainted. Chuck
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats on your new car! I also just made the move but to a used .1 GT1

Here's two things you need before you hit the track:

-Bleed the brakes
-Get a decent alignment
-Sway bar settings

I'm sure you know these, but never hurts to remind you anyways...

I agree with Chuck, start slow. As your confidence grows your speed will grow as well, and your times will start falling. The .2 GT3 is supposed to be more stable than .1, .1s are snappy So it should be easier to get accustomed to.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

With the GT3 for light track duty, you will want SRF brake fluid and a set of Pagid pads.

An alignment will also help if you know a decent shop that know CUP cars.

Tire pressure cold should be around 22.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Horstair
Racer

Default Question on tire pressure for Cup Tires...

Hi TcsRacing1! Your mentioning of "22" as tire pressure caught my eye. What kind of tires did you refer to? The 2011 GT3 comes with Michelin Cup on 19" wheels. The factory/street setting is 29/30. So track probably a couple of psi lower like 26 or so?
What's the highest one should let the tires go? Anybody have cup tires on 19"?
I drove a couple of mountain roads yesterday pretty fast and ended up at 36 (starting with 29/30) at both ends after about half an hour (62F outside). Somebody on tirerack said that's about as high as you want to go otherwise the cups turn "squishy". Another guy said he liked the PS2's better than the Cups...I actually liked the "rim protection" on my PS2's on my 997S. Saved me a wheel at Laguna when I "screwed up" in the corkscrew and got too far out..

The other (probably dumb) question I have is why would I have to check the alignment? Two of you mentioned it. But it's a brand new car! What am I missing? Like "IMGT3" said, I'll take it easy until at least a thousand miles or so.
PS: My GT3 will only be driven on the track (and to/from, ca 150m) and thus it'll take me a while to put some miles on.
Tx, Guys.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the car, it certainly has the proper color

I cannot comment on the tires, mine came with Cups too, but I sold them as soon as I could to get normal street tires.

Do have an alignment done, don't assume the alignment is right from the factory, they never are.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Horstair

The other (probably dumb) question I have is why would I have to check the alignment? Two of you mentioned it. But it's a brand new car! What am I missing? .
You assume, like I did, that the car comes with an alignment.

It does not and my GT3 was hella out of alignment and it was brand new.

You may not notice when your just getting used to the car, but it can cause uneven tire wear and other bad things.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

Run in should be around 500miles as they run these engines in at the factory.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Horstair
Racer

Originally Posted by crispenigl
You assume, like I did, that the car comes with an alignment.

It does not and my GT3 was hella out of alignment and it was brand new.

You may not notice when your just getting used to the car, but it can cause uneven tire wear and other bad things.
How did you notice it was out of alignment? Or did you just do it? I don't know any tuners other than sharkwerks which is across the bay. Where did you have it done? Porsche Dealer? The other thing somesone said is change the (factory) brake fluid right away. What do you think? Tx, Horstair.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally, Porsche dealers are not good doing alingment.

All brand new Porsches come with incorrect alignment compared to specs in the workshop manual. Anyway, you need a track alignment (different than workshop specs) for track days, or you will kill your $2000 tires in few days.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Totally agree with alignment recommendation.

However, I can't say I agree with the brake fluid. I've done 3 track days with the stock fluid and it has been great. No brake fade and firm pedal - in fact, the brakes are my favorite part of the car. Outdoor temps have been between 50-80F. Don't get me wrong, I've got the SRF 600 waiting in the garage, but don't assume you need the brake fluid changed right away.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Totally agree with alignment recommendation.

However, I can't say I agree with the brake fluid. I've done 3 track days with the stock fluid and it has been great. No brake fade and firm pedal - in fact, the brakes are my favorite part of the car. Outdoor temps have been between 50-80F. Don't get me wrong, I've got the SRF 600 waiting in the garage, but don't assume you need the brake fluid changed right away.
Did you use stock pads too?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Hi TcsRacing1! Your mentioning of "22" as tire pressure caught my eye. What kind of tires did you refer to? The 2011 GT3 comes with Michelin Cup on 19" wheels. The factory/street setting is 29/30. So track probably a couple of psi lower like 26 or so?
What's the highest one should let the tires go? Anybody have cup tires on 19"?
I drove a couple of mountain roads yesterday pretty fast and ended up at 36 (starting with 29/30) at both ends after about half an hour (62F outside). Somebody on tirerack said that's about as high as you want to go otherwise the cups turn "squishy". Another guy said he liked the PS2's better than the Cups...I actually liked the "rim protection" on my PS2's on my 997S. Saved me a wheel at Laguna when I "screwed up" in the corkscrew and got too far out..

The other (probably dumb) question I have is why would I have to check the alignment? Two of you mentioned it. But it's a brand new car! What am I missing? Like "IMGT3" said, I'll take it easy until at least a thousand miles or so.
PS: My GT3 will only be driven on the track (and to/from, ca 150m) and thus it'll take me a while to put some miles on.
Tx, Guys.
Im using 19" Michelin Sport Cup tire that came on the car from new.

drop em' to 22 cold at the track and warm them up. Once hot they should be 32 front 36 rear.
If your weather is hot, try not to let em' go higher then the 36.... drop a little air if necessary. Makes the difference between "slick" or "stick".

I also run PS2, and i can honest say i hate them for competition use. They belong on the street only.

I watched a guy actually have a sidewall blowout last monday on my local track with PS2. I personally have lost two rear PS2 tires but most likely due to hard driving.... But for a decent performance tire in the wet, what choice do we have right?

As to alignment, the GT3's that land in north America are only basic alignment for street. (european models are slightly lower from factory with different alignment however)

A new GT3 out of the box and onto a race track is generally poor compared to what it can be.

A good track alignment with the addition of rear toe links to hold that alignment longer under stress really helps utilize the most grip from the tires. But for a little bit of track just the alignment will do wonders without the luxury of rear toes.

Adjustable rear sway bar can also make the difference in getting a superior feel on the track but again, you have all season to decide if you really want a more in tune track experience.

on the street, a new GT3 with stock alignment feels like a great handler, but on the track when squat hard in the corners, it is a different storey.

the key is to wrangle as much grip as you can from your tires when under the stresses of the twists and turns on the track.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:57 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
Did you use stock pads too?
Yup, stock pads.

In fact, just received spare set of pads from Suncoast - ordered the OEM fronts and rears (race pads). Got the part numbers from 911SLOW's previous brake technical information post. OEM pads are Pagid pads.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the new ride. you will be grinning from ear to ear after your 1st session on the track

Quick Reply: Just got my first new GT3..