Safety Equipment Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:45 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Safety Equipment Question

Hi:

I am just wondering how many here would hit the big tracks like Autoclub Speedway Roval in Fontana or Willow Springs with a stock GT3 with stock sport seats, stock 3 point belts and no harness / roll bar? Top speeds maybe 150 mph.

I am not sure of a East Coast track equivalent but you get the idea.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

I hit 150 mph at my local track (Mid-America Motorplex near Omaha) and I have a stock car. The bottom line is if you are going to go flat out and track the car tons safety equipment is a good idea. It would be wrong of anybody to tell you not to put in safety equipment. That being said, I am responsible enough to know my limits and enjoy driving the car stock both on and off the track. Bottom line - I don't think it would be wrong to hit those tracks with a stock GT3 - unless you are "racing". My 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Know your limit and drive accordingly. Like ^ said nobody can give you an affirmative answer on whether something is safe enough for you. Not responsibly, at least.

At the minimum I'd invest in a collar support and good helmet. As your risk profile increases over time you can re-eval accordingly
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might want to check out a cg lock (seat belt tensioner) as well
Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind that most of the accidents at DE's occur when people are not driving very "hard" - they simply make a mistake or something out of the ordinary occurs such as someone dumping oil on the track. Typically people who are driving harder tend to be more experienced and less likely to make an egregious error. For that reason I would still recommend a dose of safety gear - better safe than sorry. Particularly a track that has walls to hit - though it's still possible to roll on a track that has nothing but smooth grass runoffs.

Quick Reply: Safety Equipment Question