Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Targa Newfoundland - thoughts? experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Targa Newfoundland - thoughts? experiences?

I spoke with a driving club friend who has done Targa Newfoundland x3 and recently spoke with a good friend of mine who had done it sometime ago.

Anyone here partake in this event? I would be doing the Gran Touring competition as a first timer.

I would be interested in going for September this year, if it is not too late to enter. What do you guys think for a 7.2 GT3 in this type of event?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I spoke with a driving club friend who has done Targa Newfoundland x3 and recently spoke with a good friend of mine who had done it sometime ago.

Anyone here partake in this event? I would be doing the Gran Touring competition as a first timer.

I would be interested in going for September this year, if it is not too late to enter. What do you guys think for a 7.2 GT3 in this type of event?
Yeah ... nobody here has done a Targa ... especially nobody in an orange one driven across country to get there. Nope. Pity. Seems like a ***** out Steve McQueen or Paul Newman sort of a way to enjoy a 911.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I would suggest to try the Canada Targa West this May 14th in Naskup B.C.
It is a grand touring style rally for one day and gives you an idea what to expect in a time-speed-distance rally which only requires a helmet for safety equipment.

The targa newfoundland grand touring is the same thing however for 5 days.
You wake up and eat, sleep, breathe driving. Very enduring. Competition and carnage in the 'targa' devision each day is entertaining.

Some people come to win, others come to drive closed roads at their own pace for fun.
In grand touring, i recommend driving it for the fun and not get caught up in rally calculations or winning.

The GT3.2 is a great car for the event, and only requires the factory suspension raised slightly higher for compressions and clearance.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the notice Tom. Is that one of your GT3 RS's in the picture?

Would love to try this out. No logistics issues and my wife can handle a day or so.

Are all of the roads paved? Don't want to unnecessarily damage paint, suspension, etc. And is stock OEM set-up too low?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Tempting, isn't it?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of doing several targa events in my RS once its finished. On the list I have Targa New Zealand, Targa Tasmania and now Targa Newfoundland. Are there others I should be considering?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the notice Tom. Is that one of your GT3 RS's in the picture?

Would love to try this out. No logistics issues and my wife can handle a day or so.

Are all of the roads paved? Don't want to unnecessarily damage paint, suspension, etc. And is stock OEM set-up too low?
That picture is my RS#2569 which now sits bone stock and is for sale.

To date i have completed all 8 targa newfoundland events.

All the roads are paved.(Im not into gravel rallying as it has too many variables )

The stock suspension is actually ok, but i recommend to have the coil overs cranked up +20mm over stock for newfoundland.
For B.C it is fine. Friend of mine did it in a new Caymen S with the stock coil overs cranked up and they were safe.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark GT3
I'm thinking of doing several targa events in my RS once its finished. On the list I have Targa New Zealand, Targa Tasmania and now Targa Newfoundland. Are there others I should be considering?

Targa Tassie is a large event as is targa new zealand.
Targa Newfoundland is the only North American iron man of its kind.

Targa Canada West is trying to pull together an annual event but still in early phases..... If they get off the ground it will be good because B.C is a beautiful place to visit and drive.

There is also the La Carrera Pan America in Mexico, and i believe they offer a modern class now...

I know europe has targa rally style events, however i do not speak the language so it is hard to find where the paved rallys are held....

If Monaco would allow modern cars i would be on a boat tomorrow
Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Targa Tassie is a large event as is targa new zealand.
Targa Newfoundland is the only North American iron man of its kind.

Targa Canada West is trying to pull together an annual event but still in early phases..... If they get off the ground it will be good because B.C is a beautiful place to visit and drive.

There is also the La Carrera Pan America in Mexico, and i believe they offer a modern class now...

I know europe has targa rally style events, however i do not speak the language so it is hard to find where the paved rallys are held....

If Monaco would allow modern cars i would be on a boat tomorrow
You can contact Porsche and ask them about forthcoming events.

Logistics and costs might be an issue, but the origin is Florio:
http://www.targa-florio.it/rally/

From interviews of the great drivers, Targa Tasmania has the format they think is the most compelling challenge and most rewarding accomplishment. I'm keen to get there long before I worry about the last few check boxes on my bucket list.

Local hillclimbs are (or used to be) a great way to drive exciting public roads at breakneck speed.

Otherwise, of course the Mecca is Nurburgring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring
Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

tasmania is unforgiving on cars. and the weather doesn't help either.
i have no want to do one. i stick to trackwork.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

TCS: good for you on being able to participate in all those events! I just sent an e-mail to them and will look forward to hearing back. Really ideal for me to stay in BC and take longer road trips. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
tasmania is unforgiving on cars. and the weather doesn't help either.
i have no want to do one. i stick to trackwork.
Crybaby.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

TCS: good for you on being able to participate in all those events! I just sent an e-mail to them and will look forward to hearing back. Really ideal for me to stay in BC and take longer road trips. Thanks for the info!
If you would be so kind, please relay your findings to rest of us. I've been "this close" to getting a car in Newfoundland, but never followed through. To my bitter disappointment. It's something I want to make happen.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Crybaby.
lol
pick a tree, any tree. or any pole. then imagine hitting it just once....

**** is for real...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
lol
pick a tree, any tree. or any pole. then imagine hitting it just once....

**** is for real...
Pick a tree? No! That's called "negative outcome fixation" and I refuse to even admit there are trees. Just look at some of the Gruppe B video of the flying finn and those unbreakable guys driving through forests where the front tires were touching the tree stumps at 100 mph on loose dirt ... AWD ... turbo ... real driving ... and in Europe, there were no trees -- the road was lined by people!

This video is little more than an excessively quick run back from the pizza joint trying to keep the food hot. : )

Quick Reply: Targa Newfoundland - thoughts? experiences?