Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Front end knocking on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front end knocking on bumps

Sounds exactly like a loose strut tower, but they're tight. I took the 997.1 in for CPO service. They replaced sway bar drop links, only after I took the mechanic for a ride, demonstraing the problem, and said other GT3 owners have identified the links as the issue (my searches here). The knock is still there over medium bumps/manhole covers. It's a little softer on the left side. This isn't subtle. Any passenger would go "what was that", if heard.

I haven't put it up on the lift yet to check sway bar mount points (Dealer should've, already). If somebody could share a torque spec on them, that would be appreciated. I'm torn over getting a manual, while under CPO. This can't be normal. Thx.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this a new problem that just started? Is it related to outside temperature and is worse when it's cold? My GT3 has a known issue with suspension noise over road depressions, like sunken manhole covers, when it gets cold (below 50F). It completely disappears when it gets warm. My Porsche mechanic says he sees this on the 997's and believes it's the shocks. My Cayman did the same thing when it was cold, although not to the same degree. Most Porsche owners never drive their cars in the the cold, so they never observe this condition.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wogamax
Sounds exactly like a loose strut tower, but they're tight. I took the 997.1 in for CPO service. They replaced sway bar drop links, only after I took the mechanic for a ride, demonstraing the problem, and said other GT3 owners have identified the links as the issue (my searches here). The knock is still there over medium bumps/manhole covers. It's a little softer on the left side. This isn't subtle. Any passenger would go "what was that", if heard.

I haven't put it up on the lift yet to check sway bar mount points (Dealer should've, already). If somebody could share a torque spec on them, that would be appreciated. I'm torn over getting a manual, while under CPO. This can't be normal. Thx.
loctite 640 threadlock

55Nm - 41ftlb

and make sure to counter hold the connecting link when tightening the fastening nuts.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Danke schoen, for those specs. I think there might be something to the temperatures. I didnd't keep track of that, but having bought in October in the Northeast, the temps have pretty much been consistently down. Time to put the RA1's on and check when its in the air.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

How many miles on the car?
Are shocks dead?

Are the bushings worn?

nothing worse then not knowing what it is..... i feel for you...

Quick Reply: Front end knocking on bumps