Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chicago-area recommendations on where to get / have tires intalled on the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Chicago-area recommendations on where to get / have tires intalled on the RS?

Like the title says, I'm getting ready to track season and I need a new set of shoes. We won't discuss where I got my last set, but let's just say they were overpriced, but I was pressed for time, so I'm trying to plan ahead this year.

I used tirerack when I bought tires for the Audi, but I was not impressed with the installer (eg, they had a big sign that basically said they would damage my TPMS sensors - my audi didn't have them and the wheels were beat to hell already, so I didn't worry about it). I would be happy to use TireRack again again if someone would recommend a quality area installer that handle the wide tires for the RS with no damage to the wheels. I've also heard that local shops have prices almost as good as tire-rack, and I may be getting old, but I'm starting to want to support local businesses, especially businesses that support track-rats.

I'm still driving to the track, so I'm probably going to stick with MPSCs, but other tires recommendations are welcome. I'm driving an 07 RS with stock wheels. I did about 10 track days last years, and will add a couple this year, hoping to hit 12 plus. I normally drive the RS to work occasionally in the summer, but I park on Lower Wacker, which is currently a major construction zone, so I may not drive the RS much this summer except to the track.

Any and all thoughts are welcome and much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good luck with Discount Tire in Lombard on Roosevelt as well as Discount Tire in Homer Glen on Bell Rd. Very careful with the wheels, and they'll match tire rack on price.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks Collin.

Are your wheels still for sale? I hate the orange wheels, I bet those wheels would look great on my car. When you first posted, I was leaning towards a set 18" wheels to put Hoosiers on, but I think my tow vehicle purchase has been pushed back a couple of years.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fischer Motors in Barrington can do it too. Rick & Peter Fischer 847-304-8822.

Tire Rack in South Bend does a great job too, but not convenient.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Fischer Motors. They do all my tire and prep work.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
I've had good luck with Discount Tire in Lombard on Roosevelt as well as Discount Tire in Homer Glen on Bell Rd. Very careful with the wheels, and they'll match tire rack on price.
+1 for Disc tires in Lombard. I have used them many times , they take good care.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean the HRE's, yes I still have them and they are for sale, though I've been meaning to post something on them and just haven't gotten around to it. I really need to get them out of my basement . If you're interested, let me know!

Originally Posted by Asquared
Thanks Collin.

Are your wheels still for sale? I hate the orange wheels, I bet those wheels would look great on my car. When you first posted, I was leaning towards a set 18" wheels to put Hoosiers on, but I think my tow vehicle purchase has been pushed back a couple of years.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest having the tires drop shipped to Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville. Brian and his guys do a great job with this sort of stuff, and they have pleny of experience with high-end wheels.

Give Brian a call @ 630-595-5577.

No affiliation, just a long time customer.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Napelton Porsche can be a one stop shop for ya as well
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Napelton Porsche can be a one stop shop for ya as well
True, but at a much higer cost factor.

I do use them for mounting & balancing, though. I just bring in my own new tires. I still like going to the dealership for tire work. Willing to pay the higher cost.

To the OP, take quality, date stamped pictures of your wheels prior to the work being done, so, if necessary, you can prove damage by the wheel shop.

Quick Reply: Chicago-area recommendations on where to get / have tires intalled on the RS?