Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Giesha gets Endless Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALMS GTC brake pads and disks are still open. The whole spec brake package idea fell apart a few months ago.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD0524
ALMS GTC brake pads and disks are still open. The whole spec brake package idea fell apart a few months ago.
Thanks...I didn't know that. While at the Sebring 12hr race in the TRG pits they had boxes of Performance Friction pads but they sticker the car and advertise Pagid.

Personally I'm getting sick of Pagid Yellows. I've been street driving thr lowly Carrera S a lot lately with the stock pads and Motul RBF660. Everything feels great on the street even spirited drives and hard braking.

Today I swapped over to my Pagid Yellows and put my track tires on to get ready for this coming weekend at Sebring. I took the car out for a drive to re-bed in the Yellows and the pedal felt mushy and soft. Back to my garage and I did a really good bleed and no bubbles came out. Back out on the road and the pedal feels mushy...longer pedal than the street stock pads. I know the stock pads will not last me for a 2 day DE but I wish I would know what race pads for a DE would feel and little harder.

After this coming weekend the Yellows are going into the trash, I'm done with them and sick of them right now. I'll either go back to Performance Friction or try the ME20 Endless pads. What I pick really will depend on what is in stock and what kind of deal I can get.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 AM
TRD0524
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks...I didn't know that. While at the Sebring 12hr race in the TRG pits they had boxes of Performance Friction pads but they sticker the car and advertise Pagid.

Personally I'm getting sick of Pagid Yellows. I've been street driving thr lowly Carrera S a lot lately with the stock pads and Motul RBF660. Everything feels great on the street even spirited drives and hard braking.

Today I swapped over to my Pagid Yellows and put my track tires on to get ready for this coming weekend at Sebring. I took the car out for a drive to re-bed in the Yellows and the pedal felt mushy and soft. Back to my garage and I did a really good bleed and no bubbles came out. Back out on the road and the pedal feels mushy...longer pedal than the street stock pads. I know the stock pads will not last me for a 2 day DE but I wish I would know what race pads for a DE would feel and little harder.

After this coming weekend the Yellows are going into the trash, I'm done with them and sick of them right now. I'll either go back to Performance Friction or try the ME20 Endless pads. What I pick really will depend on what is in stock and what kind of deal I can get.
Teams test a lot of different options, and Sebring is usually a great place to do that. Start of the season, and plenty of test time. When the sprint races come up, they come in quick succession. Some suppliers need time to make or develop parts. This helps teams test ALL of their options beforehand so they can order parts and stock up if needed.

Sometimes testing is done just to confirm or reaffirm the existing package already on the car. Sometimes, it is to seek an advantage. Seeing a few boxes of pads (from various manufacturers) in the text schedule does not mean the team will use them for the race.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

If both the stock pads and the pagid yellows are the same thickness, how would that affect pedal travel? I could see if the pagids were significantly more worn than the OE's, but you would think that all things being equal they should feel the same with regards to street stops and pedal pressure. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about I'm just visualizing the pedal going down, pushing the fluid, which pushes the pistons against the pads, squeezing them against the rotors. The pad material is pretty hard on both accounts. You would think that once they make contact it should feel pretty similar with the variables being heat and actual stopping distances.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRD0524
Teams test a lot of different options, and Sebring is usually a great place to do that. Start of the season, and plenty of test time. When the sprint races come up, they come in quick succession. Some suppliers need time to make or develop parts. This helps teams test ALL of their options beforehand so they can order parts and stock up if needed.

Sometimes testing is done just to confirm or reaffirm the existing package already on the car. Sometimes, it is to seek an advantage. Seeing a few boxes of pads (from various manufacturers) in the text schedule does not mean the team will use them for the race.
No this was during the race...not a test session. TRG was using Performance Friction....they advertise Pagid. Pagid is probably a paid sponsor. This happenes a lot in my industry...a musician will endorse a certain brand of instrument but in the recording studio were it really matter will play and record with a different brand.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
If both the stock pads and the pagid yellows are the same thickness, how would that affect pedal travel? I could see if the pagids were significantly more worn than the OE's, but you would think that all things being equal they should feel the same with regards to street stops and pedal pressure. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about I'm just visualizing the pedal going down, pushing the fluid, which pushes the pistons against the pads, squeezing them against the rotors. The pad material is pretty hard on both accounts. You would think that once they make contact it should feel pretty similar with the variables being heat and actual stopping distances.
The Yellows feel softer than the stock pads...always have to me. It's not just a little longer pedal but the mushy feel of intial braking on the street and on the track. Also like Trakcar has noted that after 50% or so of pad life they lose there bite on intial braking. Performance Friction PFC97's I used felt more like the stock pads but could stand up to track abuse too. The PFC97's did seem to transfer heat to the caliper more easy though but I now have titanium back plates and better cooling with GT2 brake ducts so that might help. Plus I brake a little less these days that I use to. Matter of fact Performance Friction states in there spec literature "no mushy pedal" as one of the features of Performance Friction pads.

You might not be at the performance level on the track to notice this yet.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Not something Pagid wants to hear I would bet.....
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by autokurl
Not something Pagid wants to hear I would bet.....
Probably...I even took a quick pic with my iPhone!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:55 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes true...sorry for the misunderstanding...I was comparing the stock pads and the Yellows on the street driving. The Yellows feel mushy and longer pedal travel and the stock pads have short pedal and feel firmer.
That's because the stock pads are made to work better in low temperature conditions (street). Pagid RS29 pads are not road-legal. Then again once temperatures go up the RS29 lasts a lot longer.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Pagid states that if you have used other brakepads you need to remove all the brakepad deposit from the rotors before using the Pagids so the brake material can get on the disc and do its work. This might explain your lack of bite.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Pagid states that if you have used other brakepads you need to remove all the brakepad deposit from the rotors before using the Pagids so the brake material can get on the disc and do its work. This might explain your lack of bite.
They bite fine once I get them bedded in but they feel mushy/softer pedal feel.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I really don't like Pagids at all. Too much tapering, too spongy after 4/5 days. Might be due to flipping the pads, but you must.

PFC08 cost the same, brake better, no bedding, concistent till the last 2mm of material, not enough tapering to even bother with flipping the fronts. Rears last much better then Pagid, about 2F : 1R.
Pagids wore out almost even.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Rears last much better then Pagid, about 2F : 1R.
Pagids wore out almost even.

Glad to see I am not the only one. I also need to replace front and rears at the same time when using RS29.

Quick Reply: Giesha gets Endless Brakes