Gen 2 GT3RS Crash - Cautionary Tale

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Can an OP "jack" his own thread
I wondered the same thing when I typed that...haha!

Originally Posted by CRex
p.s. I thought I had a weird car whose doors don't close properly unless I slammed them. Glad to know it's a Gen 2 "feature"... still I doubt the driver in this incident would've left the pitlane with a "door ajar" warning...
I don't think mine ever triggered the door ajar warning? I remember I went on track a couple times with the darn door not latched fully and freaked out upon coming in and seeing the door ajar.

Yeppers, both GT3 and GT2RS doors need a solid whack to close fully.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hans for sure and a roll cage, full 5 point harness, fire suppression system, current DOT approved helmet, gloves, shoes, fire retardant suit and most importantly a smart head (Roger Penske isn't at local PCA DE track events looking for his next hot shoe)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
[SIZE="2"]...
Are we looking at a freak accident or a bigger problem here?

I would not conclude anything, without knowing what happened and without knowing the car's history. Doors do not unbolt themselves for no reason.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by firefisher
and most importantly a smart head (Roger Penske isn't at local PCA DE track events looking for his next hot shoe)
True dat...

1. Hit your marks.
2. Leave room for error.

If you don't know what the above means slow the F down and seek an instructor!

Early on I was very saddened to learn there was no pony prize for "winning" the DE.

Critical to know where the "danger points" are for every track you run. And then respect them!

Unless you suffer mechanical failure, most any crash is due to driver error/misjudgement. Ask me how I know...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about the Zhuhai accident, and glad everyone was okay.

Upon close eyeballing of the picture, I saw that the left-rear body chassis around the rear wheel was mashed pretty badly, and that could also included the left door rear locking area. It seemed the whole area was hit or grinded to the wall.

Since I was not there to witness the accident, I could only guess. My guess was that the highspeed hit or grind around the left-side was pretty hard. It might not show from the angle of the picture, but the hit could be hard enough that already deformed the chassis around above the left-rear-wheel area. That might result to popping or peeling the left door open, and leading the whole door detaching from the body.

I would say that the hit was harder than it looked, and the car did its job to let the driver walked away.

Regards,

Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For the yard sale white RS, it would be interesting to see close-up pics of the A pillar hinges, the striker plate and the door hinges. I can't remember seeing any 911 since the arrival of the 964 that wouldn't open/close the doors after even hideous calamity.

I really like the 2010 update to the door mechanism -- the doors now close without the hollow Toyota door sound. Not the famous "bank vault" closing of the 993 and 964, but still a giant improvement over the 997.1 doors. The 997 is bringing us an appalling number of "WTF?!" disappointments, but I really don't think the doors are a weakness.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad every one walked away...the rest will be history.....
I still think that the pads replacement contributed to the Sebring crash, too premature to call it a coincident....
Savy: Movit? me like alot.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Cwwan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the door is certainly a wonder ..... how can it just snap out ... does that mean it's necessary to have the FULL CAGE even driving on the road?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho

This is every civilian's worst nightmare on the track with a high dollar street car.
Never feel good when this happens to others.

So to lighten the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I would not conclude anything, without knowing what happened and without knowing the car's history. Doors do not unbolt themselves for no reason.
That's exactly the point of my post. The car is almost new (700km on the odo), no prior collision (I know the ex-owner who sold to the driver in the pic). A door ajar out of pitlane may be suspect (as unlikely as it sounds--driver had to be oblivious to the red warning on his dash...) but in any case what traspired (door opening & detaching) is grossly unacceptable, at least to me.

p.s. I don't know the driver. Even though circumstantial evidence point to a series of ill-judgement (new to his car, apparently his third lap of the day, excessive speed at a known trouble spot...) I'm as shocked at the structural failure as I am at the magnitude of human error, in equal measure.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I wondered the same thing when I typed that...haha!
With a blanket waiver from the OP, would you please spill the beans on these wonderful rotors?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

From Teamspeed:

Setting the record straight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all both drivers are fine and the accident looks far worse than it actually is.
All of it, is body damage and none structural. That's the positive thing on the other hand it's not cheap.
Now lets get to what really happened and stop speculating all the nonsense that is posted here and everywhere else. I have been driving for over 10 years all tough I am not a pro I'm experienced and faster than most. The accident had nothing to do with experience or inexperience. The brake pads had been changed with pads that had sufficient material to finish the day without being too low. So the pad theory is out of the window there was nothing wrong with the pads. What did go wrong is the following unless someone can explain it differently is a combination of factors the first being; in any order was Hoosiers or any slick, Green Pagid Pads aggressive initial bite, PCCB's a very hot day and lots of rubber from the 12 hours of Sebring allowed for some pretty good grip. As I arrived to turn 17 at almost 150MPH I get on the brakes hard and trail brake which I have done 1000s of times but this particular day the ABS Must have gone nuts because as I got on the brakes the pedal got extremely hard and the car did not slow down, as if the ABS said there is no way that this car can decelerate that quickly and went into this mode thinking that the tires were locking up and quickly released brake pressure and stiffened the pedal. However I did have time to release and reapply pressure a few times, but the same result took place, at that time the car had slowed a bit. but the wall was getting closer very quickly so a last effort to rotate the car resulted in understeer that scrubbed some speed before, I went under the first set of tire wall which is the reason the roof and deck lid is damaged. And NO IT DID NOT ROLL OVER. and hit the second tire wall just before the bridge.
This is more worriesome than a door missing, just like popping coolant hoses, but that can be fixed with water wetter at least. I'm affraid of ICE mode.
Teamspeed won't load on my PC's so I don not have further details about tire size, pads and rotors used.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With cups people sometimes leave the door bolts off to make it easier to remove them. I've seen cup doors fly off and up into the sky twice without contact.....
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Does anybody know details of this Sebring/Chin Event crash? Something about an instructor and having just replaced a set of front pads before it happened? Would be great to learn from another unfortunate incident
This looks like my friends car! He instructs with Chin... I hope Im wrong. He just took delivery a couple months back. He is one of the quicker drivers at the south Florida DEs. Savboy what have you heard?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

Hoosiers, good brake pads, stock rotors, ICE mode. Did not go away after pumping at least 3 times.
Hit barrier # 1, went underneath it then hit barrier#2 behind it. Softish impacts, mostly bodywork and radiators. Tub and suspension all fine. Both the owner of the car, a Chin instructor and his student are fine. Good driver taking it easy with student running about 8 seconds of his pace earlier the same day....

Quick Reply: Gen 2 GT3RS Crash - Cautionary Tale