Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Return to GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Before you do any damage to that car or yourself, stop by a tire shop and get a new set of tires installed:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports (same ones used in the 599 GTO): 275/35R19 and 345/30R20
i would do that and in fact have been hammering tire rack about it - i was told my the other cgt owner on this board (wtdoom) that the 265/35 is the front size to use that is approved by porsche but that is not available from tirerack here in the US .. they don't know when they will get them either. what to do?

you think the 275 will be ok on fronts?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

R u crazy? Forget the tires for now, close pc, close cell phone, go drive. Come back in two days and post a sound clip.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
R u crazy? Forget the tires for now, close pc, close cell phone, go drive. Come back in two days and post a sound clip.
it doesn't work like that unfortunately - I got my 30 mile loop then the car had to go into the garage and I had to return to NY for an evening session. So must now wait until either this weekend or perhaps NEXT weekend for further investigations.

I did get a brief video recorded of the first session .. here it is, in HD

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3855322/CGT.mov
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
you think the 275 will be ok on fronts?
The 275/35R19 and 345/30R20 MPSS will fit your car no problems, no rubbing. I took measurements of the CGT. I have a small technical encyclopedia on that car, as I was buying one to run it in SCCA Solo.

If you ever want to take it to the track, BBS made 18"x10.5 and 18"x13 magnesium wheels to allow you to run Hoosiers or slicks.

The PS2 are fine tires (although yours might be 6 years old, and should be replaced immediately), but nowhere near the grip levels found in the DOT-R tires, and street tires such as RE-11, Direzza StarSpec, RS3, XS and plenty of others. If Porsche was making the Carrera GT today, the car would come with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, not PS2.

The MPSS is the most important performance improvement change made to the 599 GTO and now the F458 Italia. The tire sticks well based on reviews.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

The 275/35R19 and 345/30R20 MPSS will fit your car no problems, no rubbing. I took measurements of the CGT. I have a small technical encyclopedia on that car, as I was buying one to run it in SCCA Solo.

If you ever want to take it to the track, BBS made 18"x10.5 and 18"x13 magnesium wheels to allow you to run Hoosiers or slicks.

The PS2 are fine tires (although yours might be 6 years old, and should be replaced immediately), but nowhere near the grip levels found in the DOT-R tires, and street tires such as RE-11, Direzza StarSpec, RS3, XS and plenty of others. If Porsche was making the Carrera GT today, the car would come with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, not PS2.

The MPSS is the most important performance improvement change made to the 599 GTO and now the F458 Italia. The tire sticks well based on reviews.
great info thanks - i will be getting my hands on the MPSS asap then. Yes the car still has the original PS2 tires from 2004 .. i was waiting to get the supersports on there. stay tuned!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the video G!

..and what a thorough and professional inspection from the dealer.... they let a 600hp car out with 7y old tires..
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is the newest tyres TSB for the carrera GT, If they ever approve the new PSS they will publish a new one.

Requires tires changed every 4 years.

Carrera GT (980)
16/09 EN 4440

Aug 28, 2009
Approved summer tyres and wheels

Model year: as of 2004 up to 2006
Information
This Manufacturer Approval list replaces Technical Information No. 1/04 dated 18.03.2004.

Vehicle Type:
Carrera GT (980)

Situation:
Approval status: July 2009
WARNING
Driving with different tyres (mixed tyres)

Uncontrollable vehicle handling

→ Only use tyres of the same make and type, with the same speed index and the same specification code (N0, N1, N2, ...) on a vehicle.

Summer Tyres:
The tyre makes and types shown in bold in the table below are currently approved makes and types. We recommend that you use these tyres when fitting new tyres.

Tyre size

Tyre make and type

Mounting instructions

265/35 ZR 19 94Y and
335/30 ZR 20 104Y

Michelin Pilot Sport N2 1)

directional

Michelin Pilot Sport N0 1)

directional

Pirelli P-Zero Rosso N0

for specified side only
1) Contrary to the rule mentioned above, which specifies that only tyres with the same specification code (N0, N1, N2, ...) must be used on a vehicle, the following mixed tyres can be used on each axle. Michelin Pilot Sport N0 on front axle/Michelin Pilot Sport N2 on rear axle and Michelin Pilot Sport N2 on front axle/Michelin Pilot Sport N0 on rear axle.
Information
“N...” = Specification code of the tyre, e.g. “N0”, “N1”, “N2” ... The complete “N ...” code of the tyres in question must be shown on the tyre sidewall near the tyre type designation.
Instructions for correct mounting of the tyres are also given on the tyre sidewall. If there are no mounting instructions on the tyre sidewall, the tyre must be mounted so that the DOT marking is visible from the outside.

Arrow with inscription “Rotation”

= directional mounting

“Inside/Outside” inscription or “Left” or “Right”

= mounting on specified side only

Arrow with both inscriptions “Rotation” and “Inside/Outside”

= directional mounting on specified side only.

Arrow with both inscriptions “Rotation” and “Left” or “Right”

= directional mounting on specified side only.
If a tyre is damaged and it is not possible to determine with absolute certainty that there is no ply damage - with all of its consequences - or if the tyre was thermally and/or mechanically overloaded due to a loss of pressure or other prior damage, replace the tyre in question for safety reasons. Repairs on “ZR” tyres are not permitted, as is the use of inner tubes in tubeless tyres. Please inform your customers accordingly.

WARNING
Incorrect tyre pressure

Uncontrollable vehicle handling

→ Adjust the tyre pressure according to specifications. Never allow the pressure to fall below the minimum pressure.
→ Check age of tyres. Replace tyres that are more than 4 years old.
→ Perform visual inspections.
→ Use only tyres recommended by Porsche.

Tyre Pressure:

Information
The tyre pressure applies only to the tyre makes and types approved by Porsche and is specified for cold tyres (approx. 20 °C). The tyre pressure must never be lower than the specified values.

Front axle

2.2 bar (32 psi)

Rear axle

2.2 bar (32 psi)

Sizes:

Tyres

Wheels

Front: 265/35 ZR 19 94Y and
Rear: 335/30 ZR 20 104Y

9.5 J x 19 H2, RO 6
12.5 J x 20 H2, RO 30

Wheels:
Overview of Porsche wheels for summer tyres
Identification on the inside/outside of the wheel disc:
Wheel size, rim offset (RO) in mm, Part No. and Porsche logo

Front: 9.5J x 19 H2, RO 6
Part No. 980.362.158.07/08

Rear: 12.5 J x 20 H2, RO 30
Part No. 980.362.174.08/12

Carrera GT wheel

Information
Improper handling can damage the wheel surface.
Carry out tyre removal and mounting using a bead holding-down device only.
Use a leather pad on the rim flange to support the valve insertion tool.
Only use the Porsche centring clamping set for balancing.
Do not use brushes to clean the wheels because brushes can cause deep scratches that cannot be removed by polishing.
Never use solvents or other chemical substances on tyres.

Mounting Instructions:
The wheels of the Carrera GT are mounted using a central wheel nut. These wheel nuts have different threads: Right side — left-handed thread, blue wheel nuts. Left side — right-handed thread, red wheel nuts. In general, loosen wheel nuts “towards the front” (in direction of travel). This applies to both sides.

The spring-loaded locking bolts (two for each wheel hub pin) are a security device to prevent the wheel nuts from loosening in inappropriate circumstances. It is important to ensure that the locking bolt function has not been impaired before each wheel is mounted. To check this, press in the locking bolts simultaneously with your fingers. When released, the locking bolts must move with clearly detectable spring pressure in the direction of the wheel nuts.
With wheel attached, spray the cone area of the wheel nut and the wheel, as well as the thread of the wheel nut and the wheel hub, and the spring-loaded locking bolts uniformly with the specified lubricant “McLube Sailkote High Performance Spray”.
Information
Do not spray the contact surfaces between the wheel and wheel hub with lubricant.

When mounting the wheels, make sure to maintain the groove all around the cone of the wheel nut. This groove is an indication of the required presence of a defined contact surface on the wheel nut. If you can no longer feel the groove, replace the wheel. Replace wheel nuts that are damaged and/or difficult to turn.
During the initial mounting of a new wheel and/or a new wheel nut, mounting is done in several steps:
Step 1: Tighten wheel nut to 550 Nm (407 ftlb.) + 25 Nm (19 ftlb.). Then completely loosen the wheel nut again.
Step 2: Tighten wheel nut again to 550 Nm (407 ftlb.) + 25 Nm (19 ftlb.). Then completely loosen the wheel nut again.
Step 3: Tighten wheel nut to 550 Nm (407 ftlb.) + 25 Nm (19 ftlb.). The wheel is not tightened fully until this third step is complete.

Recommended Porsche Special Tools:
-A- Socket-wrench insert 9451
-B- Torque multiplier 9450
-C- Torque wrench

General:
Always use new aluminium valves (Part No. 955.361.053.00) after changing tyres.

Navigation Systems:
After a wheel or tyre change, the full locating accuracy is attained only after a journey of approx. 50 km (30 miles), if possible on a motorway and at a speed > 60 km/h (40 mph). Furthermore, high wheel slip factor (e.g. wheel spin) can result in temporary incorrect positioning.

Wheel Storage:
Tyres must be stored in a cool, dry and dark room with adequate ventilation. Tyres must never come into contact with fuel, oil, grease or chemicals.
Complete wheels can be stacked for storage; we recommend that you increase the tyre pressure by approx. 0.4 bar (6 psi).
Optimum conditions for storage of the complete wheels are provided by the Original Porsche storage trolley, Part No. 000.044.000.38.
If the tyres are not mounted on wheels, it is best to store them in a vertical position. We recommend that you turn tyres stored in this position every two weeks in order to prevent flat spots. Tyres that are stacked in a horizontal position will become severely deformed and cannot be seated properly in the rim flange when they are mounted.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

thanks J

so which one is it - do I replace the PS2 with the same ones or go 'off-menu' and put wider PSS on there??
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

good question, If it didn't mess with the extended warranty I would put the better latest tyre..even if it's a non N spec one..
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

good question, If it didn't mess with the extended warranty I would put the better latest tyre..even if it's a non N spec one..
what extended warranty are you referring to?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!! Whatever you do - please don't push the CGT until you get a new set of tires. 7 yr old tires are absolutely worthless on car of this caliber.

Thanks for the video - What are your initial impressions?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by superquant
what extended warranty are you referring to?
Sorry, I thought you bought the car with an extended Porsche warranty.

Anyway, here in order for warranty to be valid or to extend it you need:

Fitting of Genuine Porsche Parts, replacing all non-Porsche parts and accessories

■A comprehensive 111 point mechanical inspection to ensure every component is fully functional
■The fitment of ‘N’ rated tyres which are approved by Porsche.
■Tyres must have a minimum remaining tread depth of 3mm

■12 months MOT (where required)

For MOT or insurance N rating is not a requirement.
Tire size, condition, load index, speed rating, thread left are.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I thought you bought the car with an extended Porsche warranty.

Anyway, here in order for warranty to be valid or to extend it you need:

Fitting of Genuine Porsche Parts, replacing all non-Porsche parts and accessories

■A comprehensive 111 point mechanical inspection to ensure every component is fully functional
■The fitment of ‘N’ rated tyres which are approved by Porsche.
■Tyres must have a minimum remaining tread depth of 3mm

■12 months MOT (where required)

For MOT or insurance N rating is not a requirement.
Tire size, condition, load index, speed rating, thread left are.
I wish I could have done that .. CPO is not available on CGT here
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

+1 on Supersports.

Thanks for posting video, I only got one passenger ride in a CGT but nice to relive :-)
I was surprised how much room there was inside for 2 seater. Sounds sweet.

How's it feel compared to GT3RS more like a gokart?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

+1

Was blessed to spend a little over 1,000 miles in a CGT on a variety of roads, and in everything from warm sunshine to rain, and have driven others on track (and it was great there, too). Tires were clearly the car's biggest limiting factor (soooo much performance, only so much grip), which others have noted both in this thread and in other places. From what I have experienced, the Pilot Super Sports should be a big step up from the Pilot Sport 2s — and maybe even just short of the better R-compound tires.

Congrats on the purchase. Carrera GT remains the best Porsche I have ever driven. I never used to have an answer for that question — until I drove a CGT.

pete

Quick Reply: Return to GT