Pilot Super Sport GT3 RS Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Pilot Super Sport GT3 RS Fit

While at the Sebring race this weekend I spent some time at the Michelin tent

After I pleaded my case that the need real sport cups in proper 18" fit at ra1 price point I asked about the supersport

The Michelin engineer said the gt3 rs rear fit will be out in the fall.....Michelin plans to introduce "n" sizing of the tire with the "special" gt3 version coming out.

If true, great......but really a gt3 on a "better than ps2" tire.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Great news, I will need a set for daily drive and wet track.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

This may come just in time as I'll need a set of DD replacements after my OEM MPSCs wear out.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

After I pleaded my case that the need real sport cups in proper 18" fit at ra1 price point I asked about the supersport

The Michelin engineer said the gt3 rs rear fit will be out in the fall.....Michelin plans to introduce "n" sizing of the tire with the "special" gt3 version coming out.

I've been told by some folks at Porsche that the lap times of a GT3 running PS2 versus Sport Cup is a negligible difference. Appearances can be deceiving. The PS2 might not be as enjoyable to drive at the limit, but it doesn't lose much in performance. I know that's hard to believe, but there it is.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:22 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've been told by some folks at Porsche that the lap times of a GT3 running PS2 versus Sport Cup is a negligible difference. Appearances can be deceiving. The PS2 might not be as enjoyable to drive at the limit, but it doesn't lose much in performance. I know that's hard to believe, but there it is.
Hardly a shocker... the MPSC+ (N-specs) are really just glorified PS2s. On a short track they're typically within a second of each other. Even the tread patterns are eerily similar. The original MPSC is another story but obviously they're no longer made.

This PSS should be interesting. Can't wait for actual user feedback.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:08 AM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry quick question regarding above post; the newer mpsc+ tires are not just a newer/stickier version of the original mpsc tires? Are the new ones more road oriented (less track)?
If that is the case then were would the Corsas stand in the comparison?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT
Sorry quick question regarding above post; the newer mpsc+ tires are not just a newer/stickier version of the original mpsc tires? Are the new ones more road oriented (less track)?
I think the N2 Sport Cup is designed to handle the weight/power of the GT2 RS -- that would make it a tad less sticky, so to speak. In any case, about the most expensive tire on the planet and Sport Cups are mediocre tires at best.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Hardly a shocker... the MPSC+ (N-specs) are really just glorified PS2s. On a short track they're typically within a second of each other. Even the tread patterns are eerily similar. The original MPSC is another story but obviously they're no longer made.

This PSS should be interesting. Can't wait for actual user feedback.
I think we can hope for the oddly labeled "SS" tire to work well on wet roads (or tracks) and do a lot (lot) better job of dealing with the heat of track sessions. The advantage would be an all-weather track tire with lower operating costs making it a good compromise between Pirellis and Hoosiers.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT
The MPSC+ is newer but definitely not better. Cup+ has wider (and one extra) longitudinal rain grooves to improve wet handling.

A picture's worth a thousand words:
https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...he-n-spec.html

The original Corsas (non-system) are comparable to the original Cups. On the other hand, Corsa Systems are comparable to MPSC+'s--both are "detuned" and hence OEM-qualified. I've run one set each on my .1 and found them to be very similar--maybe slight advantage to the MPSC+ for consistency but that's more butt feel than science.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Really, they don't make MPSC (generic, not N Spec or Plus) anymore at all? Thanks for the link, I had no idea that the + version was actually inferior...
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know that's hard to believe, but there it is.
Yes, that is really hard to believe for me. I can understand it is a lot about driver confidence to get the most out of the tires, but I just hated the PS2s. Also, as you know so very well, it is not a matter of just pulling a great time for one or two laps, but I found the PS2s rolling over and playing dead after 15-20 mins having a heat stroke. At least Cups last a long while.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

I checked with my contact at Michelin US; there will be no additional sizes released beyond those at launch until early 2012; additionally N-spec fitments (Porsche homologations) will be "select" i.e it will not necessarily be a simple replacement of Super Sport N-spec fitments for existing PS2 or MPSC+ N-spec fitments.

Further there is no comment on the 4.0 GT3RS LE equiped with N-spec 325/19 Super Sport fitment.

If we as a community want a 325/30-19 fitment (which is only a Porsche dimension, and therefore only a homologation candidate) then we will have to lobby Michelin and Porsche for this.

Same applies for 305/18 rear fitment for 996.2 etc ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 03-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I checked with my contact at Michelin US; there will be no additional sizes released beyond those at launch until early 2012; additionally N-spec fitments (Porsche homologations) will be "select" i.e it will not necessarily be a simple replacement of Super Sport N-spec fitments for existing PS2 N-specs.

Further there is no comment on the 4.0 GT3RS LE equiped with N-spec 325/19 fitment.

If we as a community want a 325/30-19 fitment (which is only a Porsche dimension, and therefore a homologation candidate) then we will have to lobby Michelin and Porsche for this.

Same applies for 305/18 rear fitment for 996.2 etc ...
I don't think 325 will cut it. 345 would be nice.

Perhaps the product guys at Michelin can explain why they're producing a 22 inch PSS and the front tire sizes for a 911, but not the rear ...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Perhaps the product guys at Michelin can explain why they're producing a 22 inch PSS and the front tire sizes for a 911, but not the rear ...
It's a conspiracy.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I am assuming those are Cayenne fitments or similar ... I think the front 911 fitment is an "accident" since it is a common dimension.

I have to assume there is some logic behind this, a combination of manufacturer and existing market anticapated demand.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport GT3 RS Fit