Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

6.7 liter new Ford diesel -- anyone using it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yeah, looking forward to it. my 2500 is a 2009, i put on 55000 miles now. i need it to blow up so i can get a new one.
It's barely broken in!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one. F250 Crew Cab. 20 Foot enclosed trailer, GT3 inside. Hardly know the trailer is back there. I like the truck very much.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

as a cummins fan, the new mid year 2011 dodge has 800lb-ft torque 6.7L, available in 3500 quad cab, short box , single rear wheel.....

out tows competition with 22700 pound capacity.

No need to fill exhaust fluid either. So if you are "green" friendly person you will like the dodge.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Quad cab dually has turning radius of a dump truck......

Ford used to make a f-350 quad cab short box dually. Now sure if they still do....

Gmc now makes a 3500 quad cab short box non dually pick up. They have one on display in Whistler village.

Im a cummins man myself...
ford -- no dually short bed offered
I do not need a dually anyway and my wife would rip the side fenders off on the rare occasion she needs to drive it
My choices are F350 Crew Cab Short bed or GMC 3500 crew cab short bed denali
I just test drove and F350 today and it was quite nice and for my fleet deal, I can pick up a loaded lariat diesel for less than $50k... I am not sure GMC can match that as the last GMC I priced out they offered me $1000 off for fleet and on an F350 i get $5900 off dealer invoice thru a national fleet program.

Originally Posted by skl
Had the first year of the "old" 6.4- ran fine but was a fuel hog. The DPF was a PITA with all the regenerations etc. Now you have urea injection don't you?? I wouldn't buy the first year- I really didn't need the diesel anymore as I'm not towing as much- traded it on a '10 Platinum F-150 and haven't looked back. That's a great truck!
I would be upgrading from a loaded 2007 F150 which has been totally trouble free and a great truck. Yes the new 6.7 requires DEF (diesel emission fluid).

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
GMC somehow convinced one of the magazines to give one of the (numerous) "truck the year" awards to the Chev, but not the GMC equivalent (too pricy) and it's a three year old truck -- it's unchanged since 2008.

I'm skeptical about anything "version 1" so I'm holding off until the 2012 models -- when Dodge is rumored to have a new truck with a V8 Cummins, Chev will finally update the chassis and engine to match the rumored 2012 Ford (an immediate update to refresh the aging cabin design of the Super Duty.)

The 2011 Super Duty has proven remarkably (incredibly!) reliable and the new engine is proving itself. The 6.0 was very good from 2005 onwards, but notoriously failure prone in 2004 prior and the 7.3 (circa 2001) was a guzzler and broke transmissions in heavy duty applications (especially tow trucks.)

I have 75K mile on a 2005 6.0 Excursion with zero failures. I'm amazed.

If the 2012 is a significant update or if it brings heavy discounting on the 2011, either way, I think Ford has the better product and it will be "version 1" time for Dodge and Chev. I've had only one Chev and it was never up to the task, but they say things have changed since the collapse of GM.
I do not think 2012 brings a significant update to the Ford super duty line and Dodge is not an option for me... not a fan for some reason. It is GMC or Ford only at this point. I had a 2005 F350 diesel for a year and a half and never had any trouble with it. I should have kept it but I found it to be a PIA in town and I had nothihng to tow...I thought to myself "I am never going to tow anything, this is pointless"... my I have come a long way in that dept.

Originally Posted by hughp3
I have one. F250 Crew Cab. 20 Foot enclosed trailer, GT3 inside. Hardly know the trailer is back there. I like the truck very much.
good to hear - how many miles on yours so far?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

PJ when are you ordering the gooseneck stacker?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
PJ when are you ordering the gooseneck stacker?
strangely enough I actually did some thinking ahead when I was spec'ing the ford with our fleet guy and told him that I wanted the gooseneck prep package thinking this time around... one never knows...

of course Ford does not allow gooseneck prep package with short bed... which I am assuming has something to do hitch placement in relation to rear axle etc....

Mooty is going to make me a really sweet deal on his trailer when he is ready to sell and it is bumper pull so I am okay with no gooseneck

truck this year... maybe trailer upgrade next year.

Truck is offered with 18s or 20s -- tow rating on 20s is lower but not by much I am told...

Anyone have any insight on 18s vs 20s?

Same options avaialble on my F150 when I ordered it and I opted for the 18s thinking the tires would be less expensive and my natural proclivity is 18s for some reason Only to find out later that the 20 inch tires were the same price if not cheaper etc...

I am leaning 20s this time around...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A goose/5-th wheel stacker would be pure luxury!

The dually (had one) is a beast to do anything except haul down the freeway. Rock hard, kidney belt requiring, suspension is no fun. The traction in the rear, heavy duty front suspension (reduced steering angles) and long wheelbase make for oil tanker maneuverability. Nightmare as a bumper pull. Probably viable goose.

I'm skeptical about rumored 2012 updates. Still, they say Ford is not happy with the cabin (which dates back to 2008 with minor updates) and they're looking at updating all their vehicle cabins (using the Explorer as the reference point for speculation.)

The one thing I'd love to have is the new adaptive cruise control (aka Distronic on Benz.) That is just awesome for slow-n-go in traffic.

I'd also like the Benz night vision (S Class) but maybe I just need to get serious and by my own FLIR.

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/transportation/

As ever, drive both GM and Fud products -- the Ford feels stronger and more powerful, the GM is more car-like, just like driving a Tahoe/Yukon. The Dodge is the oldest of the three with a slightly odd mix of cabin design -- they are tweaking the engine later in 2011, but there's rumors of a V8 next year along with a complete update. These trucks are all so much more than needed to haul a race trailer -- my '05 Excursion gets the job done, no fuss, with nowhere near the performance of the new trucks and I'm hauling a 24' triple axle at 12K pounds fully laden, plus tools and spares in the Excursion. The Excursion is 8K ... the whole rig gross must be 20K, but the engine and transmission make no mention of it and will accelerate up i80 at 65 mph through the Sierras even at 6000 or 7000 feet above sea level.

Anyway, these things tend become our daily drivers, so it can be justifiable to get a nicely equipped model, which can take the sticker to $60K. They can be bought on discount when the factories are pushing for sales numbers --- $5K discounts are normal, I've seen friends get $15K discounts on Super Duty and Silverado HD.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Gooseneck w/short box pops rear window of truck. Ask me how I know. It can be done though if you get a tapered gooseneck nose on the trailer.

18s will have higher tow rating and ride is better (more sidewall).

Depends what size you want. A 24'-28' tag will tow well and is all you need especially if you will be travelling relatively few miles a year. If you are travelling all over God's creation by all means get the goose. Gooseneck is better yes but you really should have a dually. Otherwise they tend to eat rear tires (additional tongue weight) and a dually is more stable.

I've been very impressed with our dually. My business partner uses it as his DD in the winter and other than parking issues downtown or in tight parking lots we really like it. It tows much better than my 2500 Crew Cab short box. Ride is better too.

If you think you'll be going gooseneck in a couple of years get a dually. If not, and will run a tag trailer get SRW. We have a customer who is picking up a 24' ATC in a few weeks who just ordered an F-150 V6 Ecoboost. It'll tow 11,000 lbs!

That also may be worth considering as it is much cheaper than the diesel so you have more for the trailer fund.

I'll post some pics of the 28' ATC we got in today that we ordered for ourselves to use for the next few years. It has a lot of really nice features on it along with some things found on no other trailer. The thing is a work of art.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

There's an aftermarket product to make a goose work on a SWB.

20's on the newer F250 have larger overall diameter, so the sidewall is as much or more than old 18 (and even older 16's.) I'd go with 20's for handling. Ride is going to be abysmal no matter unless you go to kelderman bags or the like, then it's all round much more betterer (handling, ride and towing.)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's an aftermarket product to make a goose work on a SWB.

20's on the newer F250 have larger overall diameter, so the sidewall is as much or more than old 18 (and even older 16's.) I'd go with 20's for handling. Ride is going to be abysmal no matter unless you go to kelderman bags or the like, then it's all round much more betterer (handling, ride and towing.)
This? http://www.mrtruck.net/popup.htm

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
That's the sort of thing. The one I saw was more like a triangle plate and not as tidy. So long as the weight is center-forward of the rear diff, I imagine the physics all pan out.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Who is towing with the new 6.7 Ford diesel?
Any issues at all with the truck?

I have read through some of the ford truck forums and noted a transmission issue but that seems to have been solved with a software flash etc.

I am considering an F350 (non dually) diesel and know that this new engine is Ford's first attempt at an in house design and build of a diesel and I generally and not a fan of first gen all new products.

The stock numbers (400hp, 800 tq) are impressive so I have no doubt that it can tow etc. Just wondering about your experience -- positive or negative.

I also very much like the GMC sierra HD 3500 denali truck but through my business I get a better deal on Ford trucks... so that is my focus for the time being.
I have a 2011 F350 Diesel with the 6.7. It's a great truck Tows my 24 foot enclosed at 75 mph with no problems. I have about 13,000 miles on the vehicle. Only issues so far was a crack in the flex pipe attached to one of the Turbos and a small leak on one of the water pumps. Only complaint is mileage. 15 mpg combined only about 9-10 mpg when towing.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
svp928
Rennlist Member

The chev/GMC is has new frame/upgraded engine/trans since 2010- much different than 08-09. Spent all their money on making it safely tow more...body/interior upgrades are next.

I have an 08, its my 3rd Duramax, and I'll get another one soon. Great tow vehicle, and also my DD. I haven't heard much about the new Ford, other than you can spend 60k plus for it..
Look here for what problems it may have:

www.thedieselstop.com

Keep in mind its a Ford forum, and they badmouth everything including their own...but there is some good info if you weed through it a bit.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 PM
teamb2
Advanced

I am using new 2011 6.7 F250. I like it a lot. Average over 20mpg on highway w/o trailer. Daily driver in SF Bay area.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 763 Posts

as a cummins fan, the new mid year 2011 dodge has 800lb-ft torque 6.7L, available in 3500 quad cab, short box , single rear wheel.....
out tows competition with 22700 pound capacity.
No need to fill exhaust fluid either. So if you are "green" friendly person you will like the dodge.
I own a '11 Dodge Mega cab 4x4 dually with all options. $49K paid in Nov '10.
Mega cab is the only one that fits garage, tapered nose gooseneck.
I was surpriced how nice the interior has gotten, like the engine brake, A/C seats, etc. etc.

I knew 8speed 800lb torque was coming, but I don't care. Well proven 6 speed with 650lb is enough to go plenty fast with 2 cars in the back.
Sold my '08 with 40k miles just to get all the goodies.

You might get a loaded single wheel Mega cab for less.

Quick Reply: 6.7 liter new Ford diesel -- anyone using it?