Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 Camera Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 Camera Mount?

I have driven on some cars lately with a full camera set-up on the track. I would be interested in a set-up from just behind the front seats of the car. Do I need a roll cage to mount a camera?

Can you guys give me some simple ideas on how easy/tough this is to do? I would love to have and share footage of track days. Pictures and links appreciated!

You guys have been a great help for my Porsche due diligence - thanks again!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Well if you will track, you should get a harness, and if you get a harness, you should get a bar, and if you get a bar then there you have a nice place to mount a camera among other things Traqmate and Racekeeper are popular data-logging/video combos. Or if you just want video, many HD camcorders or digicams will do (just stay away from those with CMOS sensors that are plagued with a rolling shutter effect) and will attach easily to a roll bar crossmember using special roll-bar mounting hardware available from many vendors.

If harness and bar are not in the cards for now, and you just want to get out to the track and get some footage, $299 GoPro HD Motorsports Hero is an excellent little solution that captures very good HD video for not much $. You can easily mount it behind the seat surface (assuming it's painted or clearcoated like the sport buckets) to get the perspective you mention. You can also mount it on glass surfaces and even outside the car like on the roof, hood, or door panel to get some interesting camera angles. The suction mount it comes with is very effective and in my experience held up to a 150mph straight with a hard braking zone lap after lap while mounted on the roof!

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 Camera Mount?