Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cracking noise when starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:52 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking noise when starting the engine

I hear cracking noise when starting the engine not all the time but may be 1 out of 4 starts, the noise is very close to the starter when it is continue when the engine already started but this is I think not true with 2010 GT3 since the starter stopped when the engine started.

Any ideas from you guys before going to the dealer
Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Can you elaborate? Cracking as in the sound of things breaking? Or a clack as in things impacting another? One crack or multiple cracks in succession? When does it start and end?

There are very knowlegeable guys on this forum but nobody's telepathic, at least from what I know
Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by CRex
Can you elaborate? Cracking as in the sound of things breaking? Or a clack as in things impacting another? One crack or multiple cracks in succession? When does it start and end?

There are very knowlegeable guys on this forum but nobody's telepathic, at least from what I know
it is almost clack as in things impacting another and it is one crack.

what is the difference between both you mentioned?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Not being precise at all here, but if it's not a repeating sound I won't be exceedingly concerned. A whole chain of things happen at startup and all of them are noisy--esp. so in our engines. I worried about this and that in my first month of living with the GT1 block in my Mk I only to eventually realize they're all a noisy bunch, after having spent lots of time with other GTx cars and their owners.

FWIW I'll not be concerned unless the noise falls into one of the following categories:
1. A screeching sound--potentially a loose/worn belt, or problems with components on pulleys
2. A repeating sound--loose stuff getting in the way of the belt

In most cases problems will be accompanied by errors on the dash--alternator undervoltage for example.

Of course you can take it to the dealer for peace of mind. Hope it'll check out OK and this'll turn out to be another "oddity" in your ownership experience!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

From time to time, you get a machine gun like rattle on turning over the engine with these gt1 motors... its quite normal... a weird quirk and characteristic just like the random puffs of smoke... don't worry about it...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by 911rox
From time to time, you get a machine gun like rattle on turning over the engine with these gt1 motors... its quite normal... a weird quirk and characteristic just like the random puffs of smoke... don't worry about it...
You exactly explaind the noise i am hearing from time to time, it is like a machine gun.

when i started the car in puplic they will notice this sound very well, baaad noise and i afraid from damaging the engine but no alarms no sign of any leakage or performance.

i will try to record that noise and share with you all
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the hydraulic lifters filling at start up until oil pressure is up.. Sounds like the end of the world the first few times you hear it. lol Part of the mistique of owning these cars.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 03-10-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
It's the lifters filling at start up. Sounds like the end of the world the first few times you hear it. lol
can you explain more, what are these lifters?

i really dont want to visit the dealer because it will take long time for checking and reporting.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rox

You exactly explaind the noise i am hearing from time to time, it is like a machine gun.

when i started the car in puplic they will notice this sound very well, baaad noise and i afraid from damaging the engine but no alarms no sign of any leakage or performance.

i will try to record that noise and share with you all
It's normal.
Every few starts it makes that cracking sound and every few starts it blows a cloud of blue smoke as well. The pads will squeel and the sway bars will rattle loose. The car won't shift very well when not drive for a while untill it it fully warmed up.

All normal, this way you know you have bought a real GT3 :-)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Add some floating rotors as a final touch. I love the sound of rotors slapping in the morning!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

U forgot the front suspension rattle and the chuntering flywheel... plus the flickering cabin lights when idle
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
rlips
Instructor

Plus the sound of laughter when you wind it up to red line (Of course you let the oil temp warm up first)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,618 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
U forgot the front suspension rattle and the chuntering flywheel... plus the flickering cabin lights when idle
and the occasional "boing" from a spring shifting in its perch at low speeds!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It's normal.
Every few starts it makes that cracking sound and every few starts it blows a cloud of blue smoke as well. The pads will squeel and the sway bars will rattle loose. The car won't shift very well when not drive for a while untill it it fully warmed up.

All normal, this way you know you have bought a real GT3 :-)
+1 absolutely correct. You just have to choose to consider these things endearing and not annoying.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I would add the LSD noise at tight maneuvers, but then I remembered that very few can hear that, as most LSDs are shot.. : )

Quick Reply: Cracking noise when starting the engine