Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Does it really take 2 people to change a wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it really take 2 people to change a wheel

im one who is not a big DIY, like mooty or savy but i do like changing my wheels and the occasional brake pad. Does it really take 2 people to change these center lock wheels? I have my torque wrench but dont have the breaker bar. is that needed? i know its been discussed somewhat but trying to get some clarification on everything
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 767 Posts

No, I sent you the pic of that brake pedal holder thing.
Just shove it in between the brake pedal and seat if you really want to torque them in the air as adviced.

I do it just to make sure, but I can't imagine that if the car is on the ground after "clicking" the nut on and than apply 600Nm it is coming loose, plus if the locking thingy is flush with outside is should be fine anyway.

Don't forget to check on the 2 little screws in the brake rotor, in case they back out the torque reading might be off.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

It is strictly a one person job, with the right tools. Yes you need a breaker bar and it helps to have a brake depressing tool to keep the front wheels from rotating, although you can wedge a 2x4 on the brake pedal with a towel against the seat as I have seen some do. Its a piece of cake really and I actually prefer the C/L's now that I have the tools.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+1

Don't ask wife for help
Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No, I sent you the pic of that brake pedal holder thing.
Just shove it in between the brake pedal and seat if you really want to torque them in the air as adviced.

I do it just to make sure, but I can't imagine that if the car is on the ground after "clicking" the nut on and than apply 600Nm it is coming loose, plus if the locking thingy is flush with outside is should be fine anyway.

Don't forget to check on the 2 little screws in the brake rotor, in case they back out the torque reading might be off.
yea you sent a pic but no info on where to get it
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Due to the high torque specs required for CLs, and even higher for track use, applying the proper torque will easily overcome even the rear's parking brakes. A helper is needed to step on the brakes when torquing or breaking the CL. There's several ways to do this yourself:

1) Buy or make a brake pedal depressor. They have ones that can be wedged against the seat frame or steering wheel (I would advise against the latter). This is the solution I use.

2) Get some wheel chocks. With the wheel/tire just barely clearing the ground, you can wedge a wheel chock on the right or left side of wheel depending on whether you're torquing or breaking the CL. This effectively wedges the chock against the ground and the tire which keeps the wheel from rotating when you torque or break.

3) Lower the car so that the tire comes in contact against the ground just enough to prevent rotation while you torque or break. This method works but not adviseable because the force of the ground against the wheel may give very inaccurate torquing. It may be fine for breaking the CL, but probably not a good idea for setting torque.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...ookup=LIS21520
Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

This is the exact tool I use.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

just ordered the brake pedal thingy
Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Yep, that's it. Just what I have. You are right about the wife thing too. The less she has to "help" the less problem my "car thing" is. Trust me, at least in my case, less is more.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Precision Instruments (they make Snap On) 3/4" torque wrench... Well worth it...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by masmole
Due to the high torque specs required for CLs, and even higher for track use, applying the proper torque will easily overcome even the rear's parking brakes. A helper is needed to step on the brakes when torquing or breaking the CL. There's several ways to do this yourself:

1) Buy or make a brake pedal depressor. They have ones that can be wedged against the seat frame or steering wheel (I would advise against the latter). This is the solution I use.

2) Get some wheel chocks. With the wheel/tire just barely clearing the ground, you can wedge a wheel chock on the right or left side of wheel depending on whether you're torquing or breaking the CL. This effectively wedges the chock against the ground and the tire which keeps the wheel from rotating when you torque or break.

3) Lower the car so that the tire comes in contact against the ground just enough to prevent rotation while you torque or break. This method works but not adviseable because the force of the ground against the wheel may give very inaccurate torquing. It may be fine for breaking the CL, but probably not a good idea for setting torque.
excellent post!

finally, clarity.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Clarity not my strong suit..
Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it is either a 2 people job, or one person job that takes twice the time, time consuming, unnecessary and annoying.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had mixed results with my brake pedal depressor. Last time I had the front wheels off, I wasn't able to get the 2nd wheel torqued properly, as it kept spinning despite several adjustments to the brake pedal depressor. I had to punt and lower the jack enough to get the wheel to touch the ground a bit.

One other caveat with the tools required for the CLs is the fact that they are unwieldy. So much so that I smacked my passenger mirror pretty good with my torque wrench (the massive 42" long one from Snap-On, but my breaker bar is even longer). I tore the clear wrap and chipped the paint. You can lock your mirrors into place tight against the car, but even so, it's a crap shoot. You need to be very careful with such long handles!

Quick Reply: Does it really take 2 people to change a wheel