CarreraGT Stars In: Dances With Cars!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
LOL

Both spins; This one and the one unfortunate one at Barber show that once the start wagging you have to stay aggressive and quick on opposite lock untill you are really sure they are done waggin' the tail.
... and put the power down? I was really wondering about exactly this as it certainly would not be my first reflex in such a case. But yes, the platform has "unlimited" traction (if balanced and with a working LSD ) so I can "imagine" that the proper throttle application could do wonders... I think.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think this incident looks more provoked. playing with fire methinks....
when things get a little hot, it can be wise to ease off the throttle a little bit.
looks like adam was hot for a race with savvy..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Aussie I kinda agree, Carrera was show boating and doing and excellent job of impressing me until the 3rd tank slapper ;-)

... and put the power down? I was really wondering about exactly this as it certainly would not be my first reflex in such a case. But yes, the platform has "unlimited" traction (if balanced and with a working LSD ) so I can "imagine" that the proper throttle application could do wonders... I think.
A good LSD is a huge difference, It boggles my mind that Porsche does not put a more aggresive one in. Transforms the car. The only mod it needs.

I always lift. I know, bad. In an old 911 I would have wrecked several times. I found out that when the wagging starts you fight it aggressively with the steering wheel and when I "rest" my foot on the brake pedal it's like throwing out an anchor and it helps stabilize the car. Kinda my own invented SC I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/v/r1yk1fMMoiE
FF to 1:33 is the best example. This car had no LSD and no grip in the rear, the R888 where corded, but still I lift/brake everywhere and work the wheel..
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 PM
jenk12m
Banned

You don't have to show off. Lmao. But those are just some quick hands
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
It was just a little egg on my face -- I had gathered the car up after poer-on oversteer on cold R6's caught the back-end and gave that first bite, then managed to ****** defeat from the jaws of victory and turn it into a tank-slapper. I encouraged Pete to post it here for some laughs to be spread around. If he has video from the next lap, it should show the tire marks -- both rears were laying down nicely ... it certainly wasn't the diff letting down the driver this time.

The 3.8 RS is not capable of matching the GT2 RS on the track and there was no "race" involved, just a very enjoyable 50 minute session with some gratuitous show boating. There was a third (unseen) 3.9 GT3 involved in the hands of a very quick driver -- we were having some fun as we moved through traffic and I came unstuck, but I kept all four on the racing surface.

When in doubt, two feet in. Knowing the GP kitty litter at Laguna shows no mercy, I wanted to stay on the tarmac and I was lucky enough to have just enough momentum to flick the car around one more loop and stay on the shoulder and drive away.

It was worth a little tarnishing of my ego to share the gong show moment. : )
Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Both spins; This one and the one unfortunate one at Barber show that once the start wagging you have to stay aggressive and quick on opposite lock untill you are really sure they are done waggin' the tail.

These cars are tamed, but can still bite.
+1

Yeppers.

Originally Posted by FFaust
I would be really cautious on a generalization here. Two feet in when out of shape badly is often far safer than trying to catch it. Most drivers would be well served with this approach I think? Adam has a lot of track experience and I think he might have been a touch rusty from not having been on track a few months.

Several track pals have gone into walls when fighting to save it when they should have been reducing their impending impact speed. Just wanted to toss out some thoughts Mr. Francois

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i think this incident looks more provoked. playing with fire methinks....
when things get a little hot, it can be wise to ease off the throttle a little bit.
looks like adam was hot for a race with savvy..
He was desperate to keep up as my line was exquisite and I was driving flat-out! (just kidding!)

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Jen- love the new avatar.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice one Adam!

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
When in doubt, two feet in.
It was worth a little tarnishing of my ego to share the gong show moment. : )
We need to send you back for more schooling. It's more like this;

In a spin, TWO FEET IN...

When in doubt, GAS IT !!!!

You got your cheat sheet instructions jumbled together.

Glad you had an other wise good day, and the idiot behind you didn't T bone you. What a douche!!

Phil
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i was the one driving the koenigsegg. what, you didn't see me?

hahahahaha
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

I would be really cautious on a generalization here. Two feet in when out of shape badly is often far safer than trying to catch it. Most drivers would be well served with this approach I think? Adam has a lot of track experience and I think he might have been a touch rusty from not having been on track a few months.

Several track pals have gone into walls when fighting to save it when they should have been reducing their impending impact speed. Just wanted to toss out some thoughts Mr. Francois
Yes of course, two-feet-in for sure when you get to that point. My comment was more to do with leading to that, and I should have added that application of the throttle needs to be coupled to hyper-sensitivity to what the car, and your butt, is telling you.

Just trying to figure out at what point do you "decide" to go from driving (staying aggressive, as Peter said) to being driven (two-feet-in). The particular dynamics of the platform (911), probably allow what Phil has just said:
In a spin, TWO FEET IN...

When in doubt, GAS IT !!!!

Last edited by FFaust; 03-09-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

t2 at ls is slow. adam was already drifting through the middle of it and kept the boot in coming out. didn't need 2 feet in this instance, just ease off the gas a touch.
that's entertainment!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

There was a third (unseen) 3.9 GT3 involved in the hands of a very quick driver -- we were having some fun as we moved through traffic and I came unstuck, but I kept all four on the racing surface.
)
was the car gray and driver brit? jessie?
damn, i really missed out.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I tried to convince you to go and failed.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Yes, that was Jesse of 1:36.1 fame in his Sharkwerks 3.9 and he was driving very nicely. Still, a cold track and only a few laps turned in around 1:38 flat.

I was disappointed to see his 3.6 GT3 with slotted steel Brembo's running RS29's (and I think the same R6's) was matching or bettering my 3.8 RS with factory ceramics. Just pathetic. This is not the first time I've found the PCCBs lacking the braking force to use all of the front tires at T2 at Laguna. It reminds me to go shopping for better brakes that don't have the $20K axe hanging over the head of the driver if those PCCBs decide to go flaky.

The event was well run with an ideal format -- three run groups on 20 minute intervals. So we were running every :40 of the hour and ended on a 50 minute session that was just right to cap off the day.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Jesse of 1:36.1 fame in his Sharkwerks 3.9 and he was driving very nicely. Still, a cold track and only a few laps turned in around 1:38 flat.
===> i would have had a good time playing with him then.... ugh!!

The event was well run with an ideal format -- three run groups on 20 minute intervals. So we were running every :40 of the hour and ended on a 50 minute session that was just right to cap off the day.
===> i will try to make it next round.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

It was simple algebra:
slip angle + talent = line
... solve "line" for angle > 10 degrees and talent = 0

Anyway, I was just showboating out of T2 then tried to start what is normally a gentle weight transfer and carry a little extra speed through T3 but totally overcooked it. I think I had slowed down so much out of T2 I was far to slow for T3. So the job immediately switched to avoiding the car behind me -- I had enough time and space to lock ut up on the track, then the camera loses sight of my car just as you see me release the brake and loop it back around to keep rolling. I had to pit for a quick "this is not a drifting session" reminder and take a slice of humble pie, but at least I stayed out of the kitty litter.

The interesting thing was the driver of the red car behind me seeing all this unfold, chose to maintain pace, close the gap and drive past was I was still spinning ... there's no way of knowing if I even had brakes or if I'd just dumped coolant ... but he plowed through without even getting to the opposite side of the track ... would have been so much fun to get T-boned for my mistake just because that driver didn't want to take a defensive precaution and back off. So it goes.
So you admit to "showboating" in one breath and criticize the actions of the driver behind you for not paying attention to his crystal ball (maybe that's what the dash wart is for) wrt the showboater in front of him ... Excellent, I bow to your greatness (and post count too!)

Quick Reply: CarreraGT Stars In: Dances With Cars!