Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gear change advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

You will see many more sub 2:20's soon from MkII RS-es.

Some on good tires, slicks, even Hoosiers posting 2:18's..
I can send you video's from when i had same car as you, so you can see from when I just got the car 2:28's to when I sold it 2:23's.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never used 2nd on any track, except when exiting pitlane.
plenty torque to run in 3rd. not many corners would ever require 2nd.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

This is the weakest link with the 997

Porsche is gearing up to develop a shifter to battle Ferrari F1 etc.... But until then, present day porsche drivers need to be extra smooth on the up shifts and heal-toe the down shifts like a *****.

My only other suggestion is get the 996 CUP cables.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
This is the weakest link with the 997

Porsche is gearing up to develop a shifter to battle Ferrari F1 etc.... But until then, present day porsche drivers need to be extra smooth on the up shifts and heal-toe the down shifts like a *****.

My only other suggestion is get the 996 CUP cables.
The way I feel at the moment right now, I am going to get a CUP CAR. Enquiries already out..... I am hooked and rather spend loads of money trying to change my road car, makes sense I use that energy and money for a cup!?

Thank you for the advice everyone, 3rd gear sounds like a great option for the corners I currently use second for.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Why are you trying to change your car? Not to be lecturing, not my intention, but most of the time, there is so much room for improvement in the driver than getting a new/better tool will actually create worse results.

As soon as I think I extracted all that I can from my car, someone comes in and takes 4, 5... even 8 seconds of my time on street tires that until I really can use a new 'tool' there is not need to improve the tool I have. However, one of the best ways to see if you have room to improve as a driver is a data logger. But if you are there already, then I'd say go for it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

1198r, when one plays strip poker, the fun is in the way one garment at a time is discarded over a long period of time, with each unveiling being the reward for hard work, patience and relentless strategic thinking. if luck is in the air, nirvana may occur if all components align at the endgame.
if all garments were taken off in one go, at the same time, then this is no fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Andrew gearing is different as other said, plus you have a dual mass flywheel.. This kills mid-range power application...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
1198r, when one plays strip poker, the fun is in the way one garment at a time is discarded over a long period of time, with each unveiling being the reward for hard work, patience and relentless strategic thinking. if luck is in the air, nirvana may occur if all components align at the endgame.
if all garments were taken off in one go, at the same time, then this is no fun.
Wise words indeed and I hear what your saying but when you realise you should have been playing roulette in the first place and not strip poker, it's a bit of a Pi!!er
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really looking forward to what Porches has in store to battle Ferrari. Wonder how much faster a PDK race tranny can be. Hoping they still offer manual, would have mutiny on their hands if they did such.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really looking forward to what Porches has in store to battle Ferrari. Wonder how much faster a PDK race tranny can be. Hoping they still offer manual, would have mutiny on their hands if they did such.

as an aside I was looking at those center seated VW spec race cars. Anybody have input on them just message me since its off topic for this thread.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Is it a MkII RS.

If yes, don't bother using 2nd. 3rd and up.

If no then relax when shifting 2-3. Gently push the lever up and it will go in the right place.

Also, make sure the car is going completely straight when shifting. Even a small bend will prevent smooth shifting.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
Also, make sure the car is going completely straight when shifting. Even a small bend will prevent smooth shifting.
Thankfully I haven't had this issue yet.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
The way I feel at the moment right now, I am going to get a CUP CAR. Enquiries already out..... I am hooked and rather spend loads of money trying to change my road car, makes sense I use that energy and money for a cup!?

Thank you for the advice everyone, 3rd gear sounds like a great option for the corners I currently use second for.
The CUP car shifter is a whole other ball of wax..... it is like running with an egg in a spoon.... if you are not careful you can blow it up on downshifting........ $$$
This is partly why i would prefer a 996 CUP for my skills if looking into CUP game...

Quick Reply: Gear change advice