07 GT3 Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 07 GT3 Ceramic Brakes

Hello,

I recently took delivery of a 2007 GT3, you can all stop applauding, thank you. I plan to auto-cross and do a few track events. I have been told by some to remove the PCCB and install steel floating rotors. I feel that I would like to keep the ceramic brakes, heard about a better pad to install with the PCCB.

What is your experience, have you used and know the name of these other pads, thank you.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

with TC on, the car will tend to eat up rear pads quickly. switch to pagid motorsport pads (greens) and swap out when they are half worn down. rears go at a rate twice as fast as fronts and you should flip pads every other track event. with that, the rotors should last you a long time. TC definitely off for auto-x. up to comfort level on big track. also recommend adding rear brake ducts to improve cooling.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 AM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Default PCCB

Thank you, solid advice, will follow your lead... enjoy..
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

My opinion.....

I had PCCB, traked them with stock pads and P50 pads. Stock pads are not that great on the track, P50 are better, but harder on the rotor. Depending on how much you track (me four days a month) they will be more expensive to track once replecement rotors are needed. The stock front caliper bevels the front pads and must be flipped.

I switched to steel, Stop Tech STR and put on Endless ME20 pads. The feel is better and I believe I can brake later than when my car had steel brakes.

Endless makes a ceramic brake specific pad.....I do not know much about it

In a 30 minute session at Sebring I have never noticed any fade

With either system, change your fluid before any events

Last edited by Izzone; 03-02-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 AM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Default PCCB

IZZONE, Thank you for your experience and suggestions....
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autocross and a "few" track events driving at 8/10th's and with proper cool down laps you should be fine with your OE PCCB. More track days and faster times will result in some worn rotors. P50 Greens will cause accelerated rotor wear. My OE PCCB rotors are shot after approx 25 track days and P50's.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Default PCCB

SAVYBOY,

Interesting information, and I'm sure you would no if their was a better pad that works with the ceramic brakes. Would it make sense to switch to steel rotors, to reduce the expense, thank you
Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
with TC on, the car will tend to eat up rear pads quickly. switch to pagid motorsport pads (greens) and swap out when they are half worn down. rears go at a rate twice as fast as fronts and you should flip pads every other track event. with that, the rotors should last you a long time. TC definitely off for auto-x. up to comfort level on big track. also recommend adding rear brake ducts to improve cooling.
+1 on the ducts, would also recommend turning TC off on track unless its wet/moist.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Default PCCB

Larry Cable,

Good advice, TC is a new tool for me, some say the Pagid Greens still can cause early rotor failure, as we all know everyones mileage will vary, if we visit many big braking tracks wear will be greater. I wonder how many who have the PCCB swamped them out for steel rotors?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the PCCBs on the 996 GT3 and the 997.1 GT3. I did a few track events on the 996 and a couple on the 997. The PCCBs are fabulous brakes but you need to keep an eye on them. If you are going to do 20+ track events then they become a consumable. You can replace them then with steel.
OR you can pay your money. I have always liked them. I have steel on the 997.2 C2S and I havent tested them that much. But there is a tiny lack of feel with the steels, and that could be my ego.
But the suggestions above are good ones.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheanova
Larry Cable,

Good advice, TC is a new tool for me, some say the Pagid Greens still can cause early rotor failure, as we all know everyones mileage will vary, if we visit many big braking tracks wear will be greater. I wonder how many who have the PCCB swamped them out for steel rotors?
If you do leave it on, fit the .2 rear brake ducts, and monitor the front/rear rotor temp using handheld nocontact temp sensor after each session...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Default PCCB

Old Guy,

Solid information, I will follow your lead, I will use the P-Greens, flip the pads and carry more speed to the apex, easier said than done. I'm like you, don't believe in putting the PCCB's on the shelf for some future use. I will be judicious and when their done go to steel, thank you.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DE use for PCCB: PMNA Greens, otherwise stay with OEM. I stock the Porsche Motorsports pads -
Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Default Ceramic Brakes

Thank you for the information.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
My opinion.....

I had PCCB, traked them with stock pads and P50 pads. Stock pads are not that great on the track, P50 are better, but harder on the rotor. Depending on how much you track (me four days a month) they will be more expensive to track once replecement rotors are needed. The stock front caliper bevels the front pads and must be flipped.

I switched to steel, Stop Tech STR and put on Endless ME20 pads. The feel is better and I believe I can brake later than when my car had steel brakes.

Endless makes a ceramic brake specific pad.....I do not know much about it

In a 30 minute session at Sebring I have never noticed any fade

With either system, change your fluid before any events

My experience is very similiar to Izzone's. I also switched to the StopTech STR and the Endless ME20 pads from PCCB's. I've done one track day at CMP with the StopTechs so far, and they were great. Great pedal feel, goot intial bit yet easy to modulate, and also on a 25 minute track session, I experienced no fade at all.

If you plan on destroying your rotors, then the P50's will give you great performance until the end. I started out using the P50's, flipping them, and replacing at 50% like many others. I decided to swap out to steels and shelf the PCCB's to try to retain some value in them. Either I'll sell them to someone else who wants PCCBs on their car, or I'll put back on the car at at time of resale since a lot of people seemed impressed with ceramics. (don't get me wrong, I loved tracking my PCCBs).

Best of luck.

Dan

Last edited by docdan; 03-05-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply: 07 GT3 Ceramic Brakes