Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PSM question for GT3 RS.2 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM question for GT3 RS.2 owners

I have searched forum on PSM and it's interesting to read the thoughts/opinions.

I would like to know from the RS owners (no snobbery intended either) of those who track -

1) at what level do you use PSM - fully on, Stage 1 (SC off) or Stage 2 (SC + TC off)?

2) Those who turn it off, is it a more engaging driving experience?

3) If you turn it off, does it make the ABS intervention differ? (greater scope for later and heavier braking).

4) If you switched tyre manufactures (say Michelin Cups to Pirelli Trofeos, have you noticed any difference in levels of intervention if on?

5) Do the cup cars run PSM?

I am trying to understand the dynamics of offering this system as I feel the RS is all about a car you can have total control over and this is certainly something Porsche play on in the advertising of the car. I understand the Please Save Me reasons, but as a purely track focused car and for someone wanting complete responsibility and the subsequent "at peace pure driving" sensation of knowing you are in control, is not turning it off the way to go?

I had a GTR before and the knowledge of the electronics controlling and making me look like a driving God left me feeling empty and wanting. I raced bikes and that knowledge of knowing my feelings (senses not emotions) controlling the throttle and braking and therefore my skill putting together a smooth fast lap is an amazing feeling - yes its also an awful feeling if you highside etc, but that is the risk we take right? Same for driving the RS?

One last thing, when I turn out of my drive, every time I can do a lovely smooth drift on opposite lock with PSM on with no intervention - I am assuming because it is smooth and controlled it allows me, so if it allows me and I translate this to the track (not the drifting!!) it is the same as driving with it off?

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

1) at what level do you use PSM - fully on, Stage 1 (SC off) or Stage 2 (SC + TC off)?
=> Off, GTR must stay on, it relies on electronics to go fast. Not so in GT3.
2) Those who turn it off, is it a more engaging driving experience?
=> it interferes albeit on very high level and you have a risk of burning through rear pads faster. In the rain I leave it on. If you don't feel it you might asw ell leave it on. I think it controls the car more at higher speed, at slower speed it lets the car go sideways more.
3) If you turn it off, does it make the ABS intervention differ? (greater scope for later and heavier braking).
=>ABS is the same.
4) If you switched tyre manufactures (say Michelin Cups to Pirelli Trofeos, have you noticed any difference in levels of intervention if on?
=> less grip is earlier interferance.
5) Do the cup cars run PSM?
=> Not even ABS on the newer ones.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
gigio_s
8th Gear

For ABS: only 997 2006 cup cars, gt3 cup s and gt3 R
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

When the car was new to me, I left it on but as I got more comfortable with the dynamics of the car, I shut it all off. What you begin to notice is

1) The car is very controllable and predictable as long as YOU don't do anything unpredictable. I agree with you, I like that feel of control and knowing that the car will do what you are asking it to do, not what the computer thinks you are asking it to do.

2) The systems clearly slows you down in tight transitions. I found that areas where I was losing time ceased to be a problem when I turned it off.

3) The system intervenes subtly most times so that I really didn't notice if I was focused on the track but in the end, it was having a negative impact (see #2 above).

Now for the first couple of laps of the day, when everything is cold and I am uncertain of the track surface, I leave it on but after the first few warm up laps, I shut it all off and leave it off for the day.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by johnr265
When the car was new to me, I left it on but as I got more comfortable with the dynamics of the car, I shut it all off. What you begin to notice is

1) The car is very controllable and predictable as long as YOU don't do anything unpredictable. I agree with you, I like that feel of control and knowing that the car will do what you are asking it to do, not what the computer thinks you are asking it to do.

2) The systems clearly slows you down in tight transitions. I found that areas where I was losing time ceased to be a problem when I turned it off.

3) The system intervenes subtly most times so that I really didn't notice if I was focused on the track but in the end, it was having a negative impact (see #2 above).

Now for the first couple of laps of the day, when everything is cold and I am uncertain of the track surface, I leave it on but after the first few warm up laps, I shut it all off and leave it off for the day.
Thanks John
Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Not that I have an RS, but I doubt the electronics' calibration is different.

First time I was on the track last month, I was hesitant to turn off the nannies initially. However, I noticed the interference quite a bit. Later on I turn off SC and left only TC, I could see the light flashing TC engagement was quite imperceptible, I even got quite a bit side ways on one of the turns almost spinning. Overall, on a 3.25 mi course, I was 3-6 secs faster on average with SC off than it on. But I have to admit, first time in this car or any 911, I wasn't smooth at all with my driving, so I am sure that has a lot to do with the lights flashing crazy.

Quick Reply: PSM question for GT3 RS.2 owners