Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My NEW RS 1st time on TRACK at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Hey Fritz! I haven't seen you and the RX-7s in some time. Nice to see ya in P-Car. Heck, THE P-Car for track guys. Will you be doing the Audi event at VIR in April?

-KJ
Hi KJ,
I haven't signed up for anything in April yet and I do love the Audi group so that's a possibility for sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkozink
Great vid- now I know why you needed an extra set of wheels and tires! Good to see the RS on track.

Did the car come with adjustable rear toe links?

Matt
No all the susp pieces are stock. As time goes buy I plan to do all the goodies but I need to learn what I'm dealing with 1st. I'm also a firm believer that it's the Indian and not the arrows lol.

Yep it's good thing it didn't rain or my wife would look like me on track while she was driving home

Your wheels and tires will certainly come in handy but I'm not sure if they are up to track use. I may still give them a try this weekend just to get some more car control practice under my belt.

Thanks again for the great deal
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Great write-up Fritz! Thanks for sharing. Great video and solid skills for sure!

A couple little tid bits to help dial her in. With stock dampers and setup, 997 RS tends to suffer from snap-oversteer (beyond the standard 911 handling characteristics). It takes some work to make it more balanced like it's racing counter part. Did you do a fresh allignment and corner balance? I would take her to a shop that knows GT3's and has a dialed setup for VIR. Sways are key here as well. I would upgrade to a beefier rear sway bar. Also, did you try driving it with PASM off? Depending on setup, this can make it a bit more predictable. But in the end, stock dampers are not the best for geniune track driving. You need more adjustability to get the most out of the car. Also, has the LSD been rebuilt recently? This makes a huge difference in keeping it planted in and out of turns. Typically, with a less aggressive setup, worn tires will be felt first in the front with loss of turn-in grip. If the rears are wearing first, you may need to soften the rear and stiffen the front. Generally, it's better to set the car to be prone to understeer at the limits and gradually adjust setup to give more front grip (keep in mind, this takes away grip from the rear) until the car is setup to your balance preference. Again, thanks for sharing and keep us posted!
Hi George,
Thanks for the compliment and all the helpful tips.

As mentioned in the write up the 1st thing I did (umm my wife did, sorry honey) before getting on track is turn TC off, set the shocks stiff and select sport mode.

Thankfully mike upgraded the rear diff so the braking/trail braking was very good and the handling was predictably LOOSE.

The front tires were good and after checking those I mistakenly thought the rears would be about as good. It turns out the rears were completely bald (15 heat cycles), so with the fronts good and the rears TOASTY the turn in was fabulous but there was zip for rear grip so I'm thinking some good rubber will completely change the experience of driving the car.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
No all the susp pieces are stock. As time goes buy I plan to do all the goodies but I need to learn what I'm dealing with 1st. I'm also a firm believer that it's the Indian and not the arrows lol.

Yep it's good thing it didn't rain or my wife would look like me on track while she was driving home

Your wheels and tires will certainly come in handy but I'm not sure if they are up to track use. I may still give them a try this weekend just to get some more car control practice under my belt.

Thanks again for the great deal
I am glad they arrived in good shape and will be put to good use.

I almost consider adjustable rear toe links as a necessity for a track driven RS. They will help settle the rear end in precisely the areas you describe. But as you say, seat time is really the key.

Last July I was at the PBOC/NARRA event held at VIR. Recognize anything other than the track?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkozink
I am glad they arrived in good shape and will be put to good use.

I almost consider adjustable rear toe links as a necessity for a track driven RS. They will help settle the rear end in precisely the areas you describe. But as you say, seat time is really the key.

Last July I was at the PBOC/NARRA event held at VIR. Recognize anything other than the track?

Those wheels are looking SWEET

I'm friends with the owners at Werkstatt in Ch'ville and they'll hook me up in due time with all the cough cough necessities/niceties hehe.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up and video! Thanks - VIR looks to be so much fun.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Finally got a chance to watch the video. Very nice and thanks for sharing.

What do you mean by FD? Like this? http://vimeo.com/2000732
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Finally got a chance to watch the video. Very nice and thanks for sharing.

What do you mean by FD? Like this? http://vimeo.com/2000732
Thanks for checking it out and commenting. FD is the 3rd Gen Rx7 or the latest gen rx7. I say FD because it's the vin code that all the rx7 guys use to distinguish each model. 1st gen FB, second FC and third FD.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Thanks for checking it out and commenting. FD is the 3rd Gen Rx7 or the latest gen rx7. I say FD because it's the vin code that all the rx7 guys use to distinguish each model. 1st gen FB, second FC and third FD.
Ah. Got it. Completely ignorant when it comes to Mazdas. RX7 always a fun ride though.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Hope to see you in the "Shenandoah" area, Kenny will take good care of you in C'ville. Drive over to see us at G&W sometime, and call Ken at Synergy if you need anything at VIR. that should give you some good references in the area!
Thanks for answering the FD question, because I had no idea what you were talking about.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Fritz Flynn... a longstanding and credible member of the Rx7 community, brought the much needed maturity and know-how to the Rx7 forum for years.

Welcome to Porsche!
Great to see you here, and congratulations on such a beautiful acquisition.
I'm sure everyone will enjoy and benefit from your contributions to this forum.

Cheers!
David
(ex FD owner... Rx7@rocketship.com)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm so happy to see Mikymu's green monster in the hands of a track junkie - like all of us here in his NorCal crew. I'll miss chasing her down at my local track, so keep posting vids so I can do it virtually. LOL

Wow, you even got the Traqmate system too! Good for you, hope you put it to good use.

VIR looks like a blast!

Enjoy! And please, keep the shiny side UP!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHI
Fritz Flynn... a longstanding and credible member of the Rx7 community, brought the much needed maturity and know-how to the Rx7 forum for years.

Welcome to Porsche!
Great to see you here, and congratulations on such a beautiful acquisition.
I'm sure everyone will enjoy and benefit from your contributions to this forum.

Cheers!
David
(ex FD owner... Rx7@rocketship.com)
Hi David,
WOW makes me want to give you a hug

Seriously man thanks for such a wonderful compliment and I'm really looking forward to experiencing all the things this forum and car have to offer.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I'm so happy to see Mikymu's green monster in the hands of a track junkie - like all of us here in his NorCal crew. I'll miss chasing her down at my local track, so keep posting vids so I can do it virtually. LOL

Wow, you even got the Traqmate system too! Good for you, hope you put it to good use.

VIR looks like a blast!

Enjoy! And please, keep the shiny side UP!!!
Like Paul Newman said it truly is "Heaven On Earth"

Yep Mike is a super cool dude to do business with and definitely took good care of me.

And speaking of vids here's the tail end of that session where I found a clean lap from under the bridge to under the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRYUE0-HlvA
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always nice to have that open track or a car that is just as faster or faster right in front you.

Quick Reply: My NEW RS 1st time on TRACK at VIR