Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PAINT CODE help: GUARDS RED and WHITE GOLD

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 PM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PAINT CODE help: GUARDS RED and WHITE GOLD

Tried the search function but came out with nothing.

Was wondering if anyone had the the paint codes for GUARDS RED and the 2010 RS WHITE GOLD color.

TIA,
John
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jbigelow
Tried the search function but came out with nothing.

Was wondering if anyone had the the paint codes for GUARDS RED and the 2010 RS WHITE GOLD color.

TIA,
John

84A for guards and 539 for white gold.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Those are the Porsche color codes.

I should have the Panone numbers next week.

Fellow rennlister and super nice guy "Friz" came to the rescue, he is UPS-ing me Pantone books so I can match up the closest colors. I should have the books next week and I will post results ASAP.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:01 AM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanx 911Slow and TRAKCAR!!!!

looking at painting the wheels either guards red or white gold.

Is it Panone or Pantone Trakcar? Did a search and nothing came up but Pantone. Sorry if I asked a stupid question....I Don't know much about paint.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:01 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Jbigelow--Pantone is a color matching system with the sole purpose of telling design/media professionals which color is which when they work across media. It is an APPROXIMATION in any event and entails different formulation to get to the same shade of the same color when using different media (coated stock vs. newsprint, for example)

Now I don't know what your intended purpose for the PMS codes are. I speculate u're looking for vinyl wraps, in which case the choices are limited to whatever the vinyl maker makes. The best case scenario is for somebody to offer u vinyl that's closest to whatever PMS code u give them.

However if u're looking for a PMS code to paint match a body part u'll be ill-served. U can match a color to PMS whatever number under one specific lighting condition but the code doesn't tell the painter anything about it's characteristics under different lighting. A good analogy is wine--even if Robert Parker hypothetically has a completely accurate and scientific description of a wine (and we all know that's bs anyways) his description will only be for a very specific set of conditions in time. Change any of the variables and the wine will come out different. Your paint color is the same--which is why paintshops match by specific ingredient colors and never by approximation.

I trust the many helpful folks on here will be able to help u solve ur problem if u're more specific with ur end goals. I'd just hate to see good people wasting their time for naught.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

^Just saw ur post re: wheels. Painters have a lookup book that gives the specific breakdown of each OEM color code by component paints--almost like a recipe for each color code. That's the way to go if u insist on doing it the right way.

Quick Reply: PAINT CODE help: GUARDS RED and WHITE GOLD