Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Decklid swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
sell the GT3 and buy a GTS.......am I missing something here?
I dont think so, apparently the client does not like/want the GT3 wing ... its going to be a costly PITA to install a GTS deckid on it ... why not just sell
the GT3 and the car to match the decklid?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What about a ducktail from the Sport Classic? Of course less downforce...but probably enough for most U.S. daily driving needs?!
I believe that the Sport classic wing can't be bought, not even from a dealer.
The 911 sport classic and all its components are protected here in Europe as Porsche owns the registered community design No. 9866900001 which refers to this car.

Generally speaking I would be very careful playing with the major aero bits in a 911. Each model was designed to meet some specific standards and altering one of them could potentially affect performance negatively and even put the driver or others in danger.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Generally speaking I would be very careful playing with the major aero bits in a 911. Each model was designed to meet some specific standards and altering one of them could potentially affect performance negatively and even put the driver or others in danger.
Which begs for the slightly off-topic question: What about owners of 996 GT3s who install the RS wing? Does that alter the F/R too much?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Buy a 997.1 GT3.....in artic silver

Sell the ugly decklid silver decklid with big ugly wing.......to me

Buy whatever you want for the back of it, your wing will be in good hands with me
Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 AM
martinkm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was the client that Bandit 201 inquired for - thank you!
I've owned a 996 for 5 years - drove daily and enjoyed very much. Just sold my company and looking to reward myself - drove new S, GTS, then a GT3 - now this is an engaging car! Had always heard how GT3 was too punishing as DD - found the 997.2 to be entirely reasonable.
On this wing topic, all I can say is guys, get real:
1) the wing does not look good.
2) unless you regularly commute at 120+, the downforce is a non-issue. lift is a function of Velocity^2 - you need some serious velocity to make much happen. go read the forums of the guys who lost their wing at the track and proceeded to turn perfectly consistent laps
3) since when is the idea of a stealth car such an offense?
4) the gts lid suggestion was my idea to deal with my false impression that the GT3 lid had two intakes - now I know that its the RS that two, the GT3 has one. if I decide to go ahead with this, I think the only workable solution is an RS lid with custom machined end caps to end up with stubby ducktail. I'd still rather go with a regular carrera lid but I'm not willing to void the warranty.

I would like to own a car with the performance of the GT3 that has the classic, clean lines of the Carrera. doesn't seem so crazy to me.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.

You might be right about downforce no bing such a big deal, but I would say 80Mph not 120Mph..

So you won't take it to the track?

If you do (You should) then just buy and RS, remove the retarded decals and only mount the wing when you go to the track. Someone on rennlist already removed the big wing and added end caps. Looks very nice to me.
If you just cruise leisurely the GT3 and RS seems like a waste, you might be happier with a GTS?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by martinkm
I was the client that Bandit 201 inquired for - thank you!
I've owned a 996 for 5 years - drove daily and enjoyed very much. Just sold my company and looking to reward myself - drove new S, GTS, then a GT3 - now this is an engaging car! Had always heard how GT3 was too punishing as DD - found the 997.2 to be entirely reasonable.
On this wing topic, all I can say is guys, get real:
1) the wing does not look good.
2) unless you regularly commute at 120+, the downforce is a non-issue. lift is a function of Velocity^2 - you need some serious velocity to make much happen. go read the forums of the guys who lost their wing at the track and proceeded to turn perfectly consistent laps
3) since when is the idea of a stealth car such an offense?
4) the gts lid suggestion was my idea to deal with my false impression that the GT3 lid had two intakes - now I know that its the RS that two, the GT3 has one. if I decide to go ahead with this, I think the only workable solution is an RS lid with custom machined end caps to end up with stubby ducktail. I'd still rather go with a regular carrera lid but I'm not willing to void the warranty.

I would like to own a car with the performance of the GT3 that has the classic, clean lines of the Carrera. doesn't seem so crazy to me.

Getting real here..

1. Beauty is subjective.

2. Not so simple you must also consider surface area, dynamic pressure,angle of attack, drag coefficient, Renolds numbers etc etc here you can find a calculator to play with http://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/lifteq.html and FYI people have crashed their cars and/or injured because they lost a rear wing or some other major aero component in a motorsport event.

3. Stealthy is nice, but a black RS with no decals is stealthier than a mexico blue carrera without a wing. IMO

4. Read this thread it has pictures https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ight=wing+rear

“I would like to own a car with the performance of the GT3 that has the classic, clean lines of the Carrera. doesn't seem so crazy to me. “

Crazy it might not be but that phrase contains an oxymoron. The “performance” of the GT3 includes the aerodynamic changes made over from the last generation of GT3’s . So unless you are interested in driving around the city or doing drag racing and top speed events and you really want to exploit the GT3’s performance then I would suggest that you leave the rear wing alone and enjoy the car as a package.

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Which begs for the slightly off-topic question: What about owners of 996 GT3s who install the RS wing? Does that alter the F/R too much?
Nothing that at a 996 cup splitter would not cure
Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be probably the power and feel more than the ''performance''
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Martin Welcome to Rennlist
A GTS has your name all over it and then buy a aftermkt ducktail if you so desire ...... please do not bastardize a GT3 with a ducktail
Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Nothing that at a 996 cup splitter would not cure
I believe the point was that it's rather hypocritical the way everyone is saying "don't mess with the aero, it's carefully factory turned, you shouldn't DIY the aero" and yet the same posters seem to have no problem doing ad-hoc "upgrades" to the aero by putting bigger wings or chin spoilers on cars they are not designed for.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
I believe the point was that it's rather hypocritical the way everyone is saying "don't mess with the aero, it's carefully factory turned, you shouldn't DIY the aero" and yet the same posters seem to have no problem doing ad-hoc "upgrades" to the aero by putting bigger wings or chin spoilers on cars they are not designed for.
I don't appreciate being called a hypocrite thank you very much.

In my mind at least there is a difference between a cup splitter on the front of a GT car which is a homologated variant and removing a major aerodynamic part and replacing it with another partfrom a different model entirely

Please be so kind not to throw epithets around this thread has remain cordial to date and I take personal offense to your remarks
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Already I replied to Francois earlier today about the 996 question in order no to mix it up in here. But since you gentlemen brought it up.

The answer is there is no “need” to add anything as the 996GT3RS had the same setup in front as the normal GT3, hence the same downforce or to be more exact the same near zero lift..
The front bumper vents on the 6RS were not functional as the cup vents of the time were, so essentially adding the 6RS rear wing in the GT3 was ok by factory standards.

Many users that used the RS rear wing added in the front the cup lip spoiler which was a marginal improvement or added a common by many tuners even bigger lip spoiler, and the most track oriented users went and, by copying what the factory did in the cup cars for years, modified the radiator’s angle closed the under bumper holes and opened vents in the standard GT3 bumper. By doing this they added in the 6 some needed front downforce which together with the addition of rear motorsport wing shims that came in 4 and 8 deg variations worked very well especially in high speed tracks.
(*actually worked so well that Porsche started doing that in the 997GT3s..)

I believe that doing major aero work from scratch without a proper use of an aero tunnel or at least a decent simulator may lead to very unpleasant results.
Making simple and minor modifications using common sense and copying tested factory solutions on the other hand is ok.

And that is the difference between adding a slightly bigger lip spoiler like Larry mentioned above speaking about the 996 GT3 with its known curable aero issues and completely removing a huge rear wing from a car that has almost three times the downforce of the original GT3 like the OP suggested.

I don’t see anything hypocritical in this thread. Maybe you just missed the point..

Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Already I replied to Francois earlier today about the 996 question in order no to mix it up in here. But since you gentlemen brought it up.

The answer is there is no “need” to add anything as the 996GT3RS had the same setup in front as the normal GT3, hence the same downforce or to be more exact the same near zero lift..
The front bumper vents on the 6RS were not functional as the cup vents of the time were, so essentially adding the 6RS rear wing in the GT3 was ok by factory standards.

Many users that used the RS rear wing added in the front the cup lip spoiler which was a marginal improvement or added a common by many tuners even bigger lip spoiler, and the most track oriented users went and, by copying what the factory did in the cup cars for years, modified the radiator’s angle closed the under bumper holes and opened vents in the standard GT3 bumper. By doing this they added in the 6 some needed front downforce which together with the addition of rear motorsport wing shims that came in 4 and 8 deg variations worked very well especially in high speed tracks.
(*actually worked so well that Porsche started doing that in the 997GT3s..)

I believe that doing major aero work from scratch without a proper use of an aero tunnel or at least a decent simulator may lead to very unpleasant results.
Making simple and minor modifications using common sense and copying tested factory solutions on the other hand is ok.

And that is the difference between adding a slightly bigger lip spoiler like Larry mentioned above speaking about the 996 GT3 with its known curable aero issues and completely removing a huge rear wing from a car that has almost three times the downforce of the original GT3 like the OP suggested.

I don’t see anything hypocritical in this thread. Maybe you just missed the point..

funny, I was just thinking about posting this very same (and useful) piece of information ... I had also forgotten about the radiator tilt modification ...

Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Rocci
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I don't agree with what you propose, it's your money, it's your car. However, check with your insurance company to make absolutely sure that any mods you make will not affect your insurance coverage. The rear wing on the GT3 does serve a purpose. Whether or not the mod you propose is in part or whole the cause of an accident, and regardless how fast you were going at the time, it may be the excuse the insurance company uses to deny coverage.

The solution is really simple, buy one of each.

Quick Reply: GT3 Decklid swap