Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ride Quality - 993 turbo vs. current GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts
Default Ride Quality - 993 turbo vs. current GT3?

Has anyone had the opportunity to drive both the 993 turbo and the current GT3? I will probably be in the market for a new p-car within 2-3 years. I know the new (and probably future) turbo is a good all-arounder, has plenty of comfort features and accelerates like a locomotive but I'm just looking to have a hell of a lot of fun in my next car.

FWIW, my 993 turbo had fabspeed bypass pipes on it and I drove iot daily, so noise will not be an issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Has anyone had the opportunity to drive both the 993 turbo and the current GT3? I will probably be in the market for a new p-car within 2-3 years. I know the new (and probably future) turbo is a good all-arounder, has plenty of comfort features and accelerates like a locomotive but I'm just looking to have a hell of a lot of fun in my next car.

FWIW, my 993 turbo had fabspeed bypass pipes on it and I drove iot daily, so noise will not be an issue.
I imagine this question has been threaded through and through here, but once more, with feeling.

I've had the garage sharing 996 GT3, 997 GT3 and 993 Turbo at the same time. I found myself driving the 997 GT3 and the other two stayed indoors. When i debated keeping the 7 GT3 or the 6 GT3, the newer car won out because of its newness and because it is the better road car, though on the track, I'm still split between the two. The 7 GT3 has the better engine design and slightly greater performance envelope. Both GT3s require much the same suspension and brake upgrades to match the chassis and engine.

The 993, parked beside any GT3, looks tiny (and pleasing to the eye compared to the slab-sided wet pants 911s.) I drive a 2010 RS today, and it feels close-fit and sharply defined, but every time I get back in the 993 Turbo (in 2WD with various upgrades) it reminds me of what a fitted suit feels like compared to "off the rack." And of course, the 993 itself is still a relatively large 911 and a hulking muscle builder compared to the ("real") early long-nose 911's like the legendary '72-'73 cars.

In driving on the track, you feel the weight of the 997, especially as it moves around in the rear, so get PDEM or WEVO semi-solid engine mounts or something to keep the lump in one spot. In the 993 with solid engine mounts, the car feels rear-biased, but don't move around on the line. The 997.2 GT3 RS is the first (only) 911 to finally bring the balance back to the rear end handling -- still very much a rearward biased steering style (all throttle for weight transfer, steering for minor line correction) and again, both 7 and 6 GT3 benefit from conventional suspension "uprated" components (mostly to remove compliance and keep the car settled through the turns.)

So what's all that say? Well, if you already have the 993, sure, go play with the new ones and it's a buyers market. If you want one 911 to keep "forever" then the 993 is the easy decision for me. The challenge is to become an expert shopper and find a great one. I like the 993 C4S as the ideal daily driver all round -- just slip it into 2WD mode and make sure it has the sport exhaust. Prices seem "firm" but not high for the 993's in general, so you might not pay too much, but you'll be tasked with a search effort to find a really good one.

In the newer cars, subjectively, I'd rather the 3.6 997.1 GT3 over the 3.8 997.2 GT3. I think the 3.6 is great value, the 3.8 is yet to fully succumb to its depreciation curve and overall, well, I'd not take a 3.6 996 GT3 as a road car -- it's a great track car, but too coarse on the road (and the cabin is hard on the eyes, though the body of the GT3 tends to grow on you over time.)

The 2009/2010 GT3 is significantly advanced in the cabin (navigation system works, doors close with a nice thunk instead of the Toyota hollow, plastic noise.) But you'll pay handsomely at the back end of the deal for the incremental improvements. I haven't had enough experience to say, but others have commented that the 997.2 GT3 felt heavy and soft -- too luxurious and not too sharp.

Bottom line for me in this decision would be to let fate decide -- shop energetically for a 993 of your liking. If you find it, take it and be glad you were lucky to find a good one. If in the search, you encounter the car I'd recommend, the 997.1 GT3 RS at a bargain price with just the right options to your liking, then take it and be glad you were lucky to find the right car at a fair price.

If you've got the budget for the 997.2 GT3, then get the 997.1 GT3 RS. It's the law.
The following users liked this post:
doc_porsche (02-15-2020)
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
PNUT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive a 96 c4s as a daily driver now. good car but no comparison to my .2 gt3. having been through both a 996 turbo and a 997 turbo, both quite fast but with no real excitement other than straight line speed (once the turbos kick in), i would choose the .2 gt3 or .2 gt3rs.

i had the 997 turbo when i picked up my gt3. the gt3 is visceral in its drive dynamics and a pleasure as no turbo car produce. once the gt3 arrived in my garage, the turbo sat (i acutally gave it to my wife). the gt3 is a very good daily driver if you are so inclined. not too harsh in terms of suspension. but if you are a "driver", the gt3 is the car to have fun in. prior to ordering the gt3, i drove a .1 gt3 to get a "feel". to me, the .2 is a significant evolution of the breed over the .1.

no matter what your decision, have fun.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Just to clarify, I'm trying to speculate if I'd like a 991 Turbo or 991 GT3 when they become available. My comparison of the current GT3 to the 993 turbo is just a measure to guage if I could "live with" the potential ride of the upcoming GT3. Granted, we really have no idea what the car is going to be like, but it seems that Porsche has made significant advances in the ride quality of the GT3 over it's past incarnations.

Fun is the ultimate goal - this will be my car regardless. I don't see my wife riding with me often - she doesn't like sitting so low in a car.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

DR.G

The 993 turbo is almost a collector car now. To the point that daily driving it rain or shine becomes an issue.

You may want to have the more current 997 platform as you fun in the sun car.

As to new 991 turbo or GT3, they are both awesome.

Some people are CUP car fanatics and want the street version for their pleasure...
Some people just want lots of low end torq and all wheel drive assistance for foul weather play....

which are you?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

I like the locomotive pull of the turbo, but LOVE running an engine into higher rpms and carving turns on back roads. Seems like the decision should be easy.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Just to clarify, I'm trying to speculate if I'd like a 991 Turbo or 991 GT3 when they become available. My comparison of the current GT3 to the 993 turbo is just a measure to guage if I could "live with" the potential ride of the upcoming GT3. Granted, we really have no idea what the car is going to be like, but it seems that Porsche has made significant advances in the ride quality of the GT3 over it's past incarnations.

Fun is the ultimate goal - this will be my car regardless. I don't see my wife riding with me often - she doesn't like sitting so low in a car.
What? I can understand planning ahead, but for Pete's sake!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
DR.G

The 993 turbo is almost a collector car now. To the point that daily driving it rain or shine becomes an issue.

You may want to have the more current 997 platform as you fun in the sun car.

As to new 991 turbo or GT3, they are both awesome.
They are? I must be getting these posts somehow two years early through a time wormhole or something ... it reads as if you're referring to a car that hasn't been built ... as if in the present tense.

: )
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Planning head will mean being able to get a deposit down for an allocation slot My dealer is large and busy - slots can go fast. In the current economy maybe not as much, but I have no problem having peace of mind knowing something will be there when I want it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Since no one has answered your question re: ride quality, I'll take a shot at it...

Having owned everything from a '72S to '11 Cayenne, and including two 993's (C2S and C4S) and currently a '07 GT3, I can say the 997 GT3 rides MUCH better than any P-car I've owned. Intuitively, with the stiff/lower suspension and 19" wheels, you would think it would be much harder but instead very subtle and much better than either 993 or my 996 Turbo. Other than ride, the biggest difference is the MUCH stiffer chassis of the newer cars...when I owned both the 996 Turbo and 993 C4S at the same time and drove them back to back, it was amazing how "flexible" the 993 felt.

As others have noted, a 993 Turbo is a beautiful and special car (and very collectible). But fact is the new GT3 is so good in so many ways. It is by far the best of 10 Porsche's I've owned. Hope this helps

wsh
Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
In the newer cars, subjectively, I'd rather the 3.6 997.1 GT3 over the 3.8 997.2 GT3. I think the 3.6 is great value, the 3.8 is yet to fully succumb to its depreciation curve and overall, well, I'd not take a 3.6 996 GT3 as a road car -- it's a great track car, but too coarse on the road (and the cabin is hard on the eyes, though the body of the GT3 tends to grow on you over time.)

If you've got the budget for the 997.2 GT3, then get the 997.1 GT3 RS. It's the law.
A bit of a contrarian? Of course, you should know, having owned each iteration (kinda). But that does go against what seems to be the general consensus. Must agree on value however.

Interesting comment re the .1 RS v. .2, I'll have to think about it cause it's a tough one. .1 RS is undoubtedly the pretty boy and can be tweaked to suit, but everyone is fanning over the .2.

And yes, the 996 is a bit of a butter face, but it is quite endearing and more unique by the day

Last edited by FFaust; 02-08-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

You can drive any Porsche every day if you want. Just pick thev one you like the best. I have daily driven a 97C2S, an 01 turbo, an 08 turbo and now an 11 GT3RS.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera GT,

That was a great write-up to a question I think about all the time.
I do not have the $ to buy the latest and greatest and I love the 993
that I have. If $ came available a 997.1 RS would be a nice younger
brother to a 993.

Tks for the post.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What? I can understand planning ahead, but for Pete's sake!

They are? I must be getting these posts somehow two years early through a time wormhole or something ... it reads as if you're referring to a car that hasn't been built ... as if in the present tense.

: )
I can "feel" the awesome-ness coming
seriously though, Im sure it will be a crowd pleaser.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
A bit of a contrarian? Of course, you should know, having owned each iteration (kinda). But that does go against what seems to be the general consensus. Must agree on value however.

Interesting comment re the .1 RS v. .2, I'll have to think about it cause it's a tough one. .1 RS is undoubtedly the pretty boy and can be tweaked to suit, but everyone is fanning over the .2.

And yes, the 996 is a bit of a butter face, but it is quite endearing and more unique by the day
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but you're not the first to make the observation. In my stock trading and life in general, I seem to find myself naturally greedy when others are fearful and fleeing when others are moths to the flame. : )

I really don't think I've taken a contrarian position in this case. Anyone arguing in favor of the 997.2 GT3 or 993 (Turbo or naturally aspirated) over the 997.1 GT3 RS is, in my humble estimation, has a prejudice, not a practical opinion.

Originally Posted by ofd
Carrera GT,

That was a great write-up to a question I think about all the time.
I do not have the $ to buy the latest and greatest and I love the 993
that I have. If $ came available a 997.1 RS would be a nice younger
brother to a 993.

Tks for the post.

Cheers,
Geoff
I am guilty of occasionally waxing at length when I'm in the garage and looking at two great, great cars. Who could really insist that one a 997.1 GT3 RS is superior to a 993 Turbo in 2WD? Who could seriously insist that a 993 GT2 is superior to a 997.2 GT3 RS? Four astonishing cars to drive.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I can "feel" the awesome-ness coming
seriously though, Im sure it will be a crowd pleaser.
I wish I could share your confidence. Then again, if you mean "crowd pleaser" literally, then yes, I have little doubt the 991 will raise the bar for the mainstream sports car driver. And here's hoping the current people at Porsche and their successors will have the nouse to build a great Carrera, but hell, to build a great GT3 and GT2 to follow after the 997? Gulp.

All said and done, when I first drove the 997.2 GT3 RS literally directly from the dealer showroom floor to the track, it was if I had seen God and gave him a point by as he passed me in another 997.2 GT3 RS and as the two 911's came side by side, God looked over at me knowingly, then crisply took the apex, rotated the car, carried peak traction to the track out and was onto the next lap.

I walked the earth for weeks and months, wandering around, speaking in tongues, handling snakes -- snaking, serpentine roads through mountains and canyons -- trying to communicate that the 997.2 GT3 RS had elevated the consciousness of mankind to a new plane of existence.

Upon reflection, perhaps I took it all a little too close to heaven, but I like to drive the nine eleven.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received my .2 GT3RS and have not driven it yet due to winter conditions, so I can't offer a practical comparison btwn the 993TT and GT3RS.

I am anticipating enjoying both of them for there many different characteristics, which so far is just pleasing to the eye.

If my wife decided one day to put a gun to my head while suggesting I should sell one, well the 993TT would be the keeper hands down.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality - 993 turbo vs. current GT3?