Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stupid Tire Rim lock ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Stupid Tire Rim lock ?

This is probably a stupid question, and i think I know the answer, but I have to ask.

I just ordered new Cup tires for track duty and had them mounted by the folks that works on our fleet vehicles. They did a good job, balanced well, ride good after a shakedown cruise, but................

I noticed while changing out the wheels that they did not use a rim lock. Please see pics of new tire mount without and old tire mount with. I am concerned that the tire will rotate at the track and cause damage.

Should I have them re-mounted?

Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Rim lock??? Are talking about the lug bolt lock....but your pictures show the air valve which should be metal like in you last picture. Don't use the rubber valves.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Rubber is a no no for air valves
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That valve is not allowed on any track around here (they flex and shear off.)

The small "outboard" weight is idiotic at best.

There's no "rim lock" on street tires. I think the tpms sensor is mounted with the valve stem, so I wonder what's going on with the cheapie valve.

You've got photos of two different wheels, so I'm not sure what to make of your post., but it's a valid concern in my opinion.

The tires don't have to come off, but they have to break the bead on the outboard side, fit a steel stem valve and
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I doubt that piece of metal for the valve stem would prevent tire from rotating. Underneath is rubber that would shear off. I had both and both cases both tires rotated- that air stem is still where it should be. Mike
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That valve is not allowed on any track around here (they flex and shear off.)

The small "outboard" weight is idiotic at best.

There's no "rim lock" on street tires. I think the tpms sensor is mounted with the valve stem, so I wonder what's going on with the cheapie valve.

You've got photos of two different wheels, so I'm not sure what to make of your post., but it's a valid concern in my opinion.

The tires don't have to come off, but they have to break the bead on the outboard side, fit a steel stem valve and
The outboard weight was part of the balance and I assume thats where the machine said put it.

I had wondered if the TPMS assembly had anything to do with the valve stem setup.

I agrre that it is enough of a concern to just have a more robust stem installed. I'm just going to do it.

Thanks all.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

A lot of looks but not many comments on this post, but I just replaced the rubber valve stems with the stock metal stems that come with the 10/11 GT3
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
A lot of looks but not many comments on this post, but I just replaced the rubber valve stems with the stock metal stems that come with the 10/11 GT3
Sorry, eating a pizza while typing and lost the reply.... Hate when that happens.

In any event if you are replacing tires get the metal valve stems in lieu of the rubber stems . What a difference They are only $14 bucks a piece and are strong and rigid, a night and day difference.

Izzone and Carrera GT got it right. Run, don't walk away from the rubber stems. The difference between the two is amazing, and for a few bucks well worth the security and safety benefits.

Quick Reply: Stupid Tire Rim lock ?