Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG World Challenge Harness/Roll Bar vs RSS 4 Point Bolt-In Standard Harness/Roll Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911

Damn.... Busted..... hate when that happens. Now all I have to do is learn to drive like you!
Trakcar puts super glue on his RA1's.......you can do it too
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
OK guys, I am prolly going with white since I have red belts. But my primary question was about the relative merits of the GMG bar vs the RSS....anyone have opinions as to strength/stability/ease of install?
I went with the GMG RSR bar that bolts to the rear strut tower rather than the GMG harness bar. The RSR bar is pretty much a copy of the factory bar, which I couldn't locate, except that it bolts to the seat belt mount instead of bolted to a welded plate on the floor like the factory bar.

It fit like a glove and only took my dealer 4 hours to install. It does require a bit of a "mod" if you will at the front seat belt mounting point. There is a plastic cover that must be cut out in order that the bar will slip into place (see picture) but it a quick fix and the final install looks like it came from the factory.

The finish of the GMG bar is top notch and it fits like a glove. I am very happy with it and must say that my dealings with GMG were flawless.

I chose it after much research because of the cro-mo construction and ability for the seats to slide all the way back. The RSS bar is by all accounts a great product and i don't think you would go wrong with either choice. I would recommend a bar that mounts to the rear strut tower though.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also went with the GMG RSR bar in my 997.2 GT3. The finish is top notch, and the install - which I did myself - was fairly easy. GMG was also very easy to deal with as a supplier.

The rear strut mounts for the RSR bar cover one of the nuts on the pasenger and driver side that secure aluminum covers that contain electrical relays and the engine ecu on the underside. I notched the RSR mounting plates slightly to provide clearance so that the aluminum covers can be removed if needed in the future without unbolting the roll bar. The aluminum covers also had to be trimmed slightly for clearance so they could be removed with the bar in place.

The attachment points for the shoulder harness points on the RSR bar are fairly far from the seat back in my car. If I am not careful, this allows my shoulder harnesses to "fall through" the seat back when I am buckling up prior to a track session. I think other styles of roll bars with the harness attachment points closer to the seat back do not exhibit this minor problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Trakcar puts super glue on his RA1's.......you can do it too
So thats his secret. Thanks for sharing....... how about a group buy on Superglue!

Quick Reply: GMG World Challenge Harness/Roll Bar vs RSS 4 Point Bolt-In Standard Harness/Roll Bar