Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Painting factory black gloss wheels TI

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Painting factory black gloss wheels TI

My dealer is offering to paint the black gloss factory wheels to titatinum color like stock Gt3 on a new 2011 car. I really like the Ti finish over the black gloss. This is the best they can do to sell me the car , they cannot swap with Ti finish as their parts dept dont have the wheels.

Is there any reason not to do this? Just wondering any impact on quality as long as they repaint and do a good job.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Painting wheels is a mixed bag. I'd say have them order the "titanium" wheels and drive on the black wheels (you'll find a buyer here in pretty short order.) When the wheels arrive, they swap your tires and sensors to the wheels and you have a factory car (with no diminished resale value and no "story" for a subsequent buyer to decide to just buy a different car with no question marks.)

The dealer is offering to paint the wheels because they want to sell the car now and do it conveniently for their business (having "take off" wheels is a no-win for them ... the wheels end up at places like www.wheelenhancement.com ... which is where you'll probably find the desired "titanium" wheels or at least sound advice on fair market prices, after-market options, etc.)

I've had wheels painted -- tried repeatedly over the last 15+ years) and never arrived at exactly the same factory appearance in color or finish. And if the paint shop creates something that's not quite "right" -- it's now your time sink to have the car off the road while they try again and again.

You're buying a GT3, so whomever you see in the mirror, it's not somebody that settles for "good enough, oh well." Somewhat ironically, I'd say if you had the yellow/titanium stock wheels and wanted them painted black, I think black aftermarket tends to work out "right." Somewhere on the planet is a GT3 buyer wanting to paint their stock wheels black ... : )

Anyway, it's a buyer's market, so the dealer is surely already giving you a helluva discount and they should be willing to also order you the desired wheels and take the black wheels as "take off" swaps (or keep them for track wheels.)
Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ what he said
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

yea, and it's always easier to paint a dark color on top of a light one
Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,613 Likes on 2,349 Posts

+1 on CGTs suggestion ...
Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

im sure someone here would trade you their stock grey wheels for your factory black ones. they may even add some $$ to the deal. i would do that before painting yours. it just wont be the same. good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great advice. I was feeling the same , did not feel right about dealer body shop touching my brand new car. I guess black gloss wheels on a white car is not that bad...This car is good in terms of the price and options ...

I see 2 options:

Option 1:
i should buy this now and trade on Ti later with someone?

Option 2: (Best case)
If i can get the dealer order Ti wheels like cgt says , should i put that in writing so that they dont give me a go around after i buy the car?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,613 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
Thanks for the great advice. I was feeling the same , did not feel right about dealer body shop touching my brand new car. I guess black gloss wheels on a white car is not that bad...This car is good in terms of the price and options ...

I see 2 options:

Option 1:
i should buy this now and trade on Ti later with someone?

Option 2: (Best case)
If i can get the dealer order Ti wheels like cgt says , should i put that in writing so that they dont give me a go around after i buy the car?
try (1) and see if the dealer will bite, if not (2) and get the pictures on here asap for a trade ...

Quick Reply: Painting factory black gloss wheels TI