Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RECARO seat side protector for CGT/EURO CLUBSPORT seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 AM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RECARO seat side protector for CGT/EURO CLUBSPORT seats

Since my GT3 is going to be a daily driver soon, I wanted to protect the exterior lower bolster sides of my CLUBSPORT seats so the leather doesn't get scratched up too much and worn/creased when getting in and out of the seat.

Found this RECARO seat side protector from RECARO JAPAN to extend the longevity of the seat a little.

Great product and didn't have to be BETSY ROSS and fabricate/sew my own side protection piece.

No affiliation to them, but got it from Aaron from gotuning.com.

They also carry RECARO JAPAN brackets/sliders for Porsche so if you ever get a Recaro seat from USA (SP-A, SP-G, Hans), and cant find brackets/sliders for your 911, then they have it for ya.

link to the side protectors:

http://www.gotuning.com/advanced_sea...ds=recaro+side

Here are pix of the RECARO JAPAN side protector on my seats:

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Your stock leather will last thru DD use--mine looked just like new after 2 years and 15k miles.

Nice find nevertheless
Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
jbigelow
Pro

I sure hope the seats last long.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Reinstall the factory 3 pt belt and take it out of the lap belt tunnel ...
Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Reinstall the factory 3 pt belt and take it out of the lap belt tunnel ...
That's how mine came from the factory too--thru the tunnel. In general my practice has been to minimize the number of pivot points between the belt attachments and the body, and that would include the side of the bucket seats (if the buckles have to go outside of the tunnel, that is).

If you have a strong view otherwise do please tell. It may save lives one day...
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
That's how mine came from the factory too--thru the tunnel. In general my practice has been to minimize the number of pivot points between the belt attachments and the body, and that would include the side of the bucket seats (if the buckles have to go outside of the tunnel, that is).

If you have a strong view otherwise do please tell. It may save lives one day...
I cannot say why Porsche routed the 3pt through the lap tunnels on these seats ... They did not do this on the 996 recaros (and for the record f**k. iPad spell check)

My peronal view is that routing them through the lap tunnels makes no sense as far as I can see in an accident when the belt tensioner fires the "S" formed by your thigh and the lap tunnel will not help ... But I am not an automotive engineer.

If you route the 3 pt outside if the Lap tunnel it will behave exactly like it would if your were sitting in any other seat properly

The advantage of doing this is that when you sit in the seat you wont rub the buckle on the side of the seat.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Btw I would still run the 6 pt laps thru the lap tunnel ... Just not the 3 pt .... The 6 pt thru the tunnel will give you better retention into the seat in case if an accident ... And there is no pyrotechnic tensioner active in that case
Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 AM
jbigelow
Pro

Hey Larry,

Howdy neighbor.

I ran the 3 pt seatbealt routed through the tunnels because that is how they ran them from factory as pictured with the CGT/Clubsport seats and also because of the points described by CRex.

In 2007 GT3

And In GT2RS

But with 6 point installed, people usually don't run it through the lap tunnel but leave it to the side, since as u know its usually for track duty.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I have the same seats (Perlon) in my GT3 and have tried the belt both in and out of the tunnel...def more comfortable "out"

wsh
Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I cannot say why Porsche routed the 3pt through the lap tunnels on these seats ... They did not do this on the 996 recaros (and for the record f**k. iPad spell check)

My peronal view is that routing them through the lap tunnels makes no sense as far as I can see in an accident when the belt tensioner fires the "S" formed by your thigh and the lap tunnel will not help ... But I am not an automotive engineer.

If you route the 3 pt outside if the Lap tunnel it will behave exactly like it would if your were sitting in any other seat properly

The advantage of doing this is that when you sit in the seat you wont rub the buckle on the side of the seat.

The belt buckle on the 6GT3 was outside of the seat’s lap opening but at the same height as the buckle is in the 7GT3 bucket seat where the buckle is on the inside of the seat’s lap opening. My guess is that the tunnel of the 7 was a bit more close to the seat to allow them to put it outside, hence the change.

However in both 996gt3 and 997.1 / 997.2 gt3 models the 3-p or 6-p belt should be passed through the lap belt side opening according to the workshop manual. Probably for a good reason.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

well I guess if the workshop manual says so ... it says so!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbigelow
AiM dash in a street GT3 ... nothing exceeds like excess ...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^ well spotted!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:30 AM
fatoyster
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the recaro protector can be used on the new GT3 sports bucket seats?
Old 11-26-2022, 05:31 PM
Y3JMS
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had the need for these type of bolster protectors with my CGT seats. When getting in or out, I avoid wear by pivoting over the seat, by having one hand on the steering wheel, and the other on the door cill, which allows me to support my body and clear the side bolster.

That said, these look like some of the neatest bolster protectors I’ve seen,

Quick Reply: RECARO seat side protector for CGT/EURO CLUBSPORT seats