Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

clearbra

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM
smboyer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearbra

2008 White GT3 just arrived. Perfect condition. Minimal if any stone chips etc. I am considering a clear bra. Found installer who recommends 3m product. Does anyone have experience in white? (yellow tint and / or yellowing). 3m product will not cover entire hood. Ventureshield will. Any experience in differences between the two. ? maintenance. I hate stone chips but am I creating more problems than I'm avoiding. Please help
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I had ventireshield on my audi s5.....was not happy with it....scratched

I have 3m only gt3, it is thicker and looks like orange peel.....but works well
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smboyer
2008 White GT3 just arrived. Perfect condition. Minimal if any stone chips etc. I am considering a clear bra. Found installer who recommends 3m product. Does anyone have experience in white? (yellow tint and / or yellowing). 3m product will not cover entire hood. Ventureshield will. Any experience in differences between the two. ? maintenance. I hate stone chips but am I creating more problems than I'm avoiding. Please help
I believe 3M is the only way to go. It may not cover the entire hood and have minimal orange peel but it works the best. I have it all over the front of my .2 3 and really dig it. Had it on my turbo as well.

Do the research and spend the money for a good installer.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Ventureshield on my black C4S Cab - shiny, no orange peel, thinner, but scratches more easily

3M on my GT3 - orange peel look up close, thicker, better protection, scratches also, but more effort required

Both are pretty resistant to yellowing from what I've read. My white BMW X5 doesn't have a clear bra because I am reluctant to put one on my white car/SAV. If I tracked the X5, I'd put something on!!

There's a few threads on this if you do a search. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Venture shield has improved (a lot) but I still prefer 3M -- properly installed by a pro, I've had the 3M stuff on several different paints and it doesn't have to look like stretch marks or something between elephant hide and orange peel. It's just about ideal, plus it actually works, which I think is a plus. Budget on $1500 or $2000 for most of the car covered by a 3M pro and replace parts of it every say two or three years depending upon wear and tear -- call it $2 to $3 a day "coverage" with peace of mind and convenience. I'd call it good value for daily drivers and track drivers.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

+1000 on the 3M. Get a good installer. Makes all the difference. If you are in the Ohio area, I have an outstanding installer for you...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

3M now provides Venture Tape with a thickness of 8 mills, exactly the same as the older 3M product. My installer is a believer in this product because it is very translucent, minimal if any orange peel, and it is tough to detect it's on the car even when prompted to look for it. Just installed on my 11GT3RS and could not be happier. You can get a kit for the full hood and full fenders, and the roof / A pillars extend a lot more than they used to.
Since it's the same thickness, not sure what would make it more susceptible to scratches. My installer did not think it was, but said that on race car installations he's still requested to install the old 3M material.
I like it a lot because it looks great.Time will tell how it does on the track.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
tifosi360
8th Gear

Stick with 3M, I had Ventureshield on my white 2007 BMW M Coupe and it turned yellow quite fast. The car was garaged and detailed regularly.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

The 3M actually has a separate layer of film that is the "clear coat". Ventureshield does not have this layer making it easier to install than 3M and also no orange peel. That being said, Ventureshield will capture contaminants easier than 3M. It definitely needs a sealant after its installed. I used both but I prefer to use ventureshield as it covers the entire hood. All films are not perfectly clear and all films will discolor with age, heat, and pollution. White is the most noticeable hence not having seams is crucial. on my GT3's I cover the full hood, full front fenders, lower rocker panels leading to rear quarter panels (replacing oem crappy rock guards), full wing, behind the rear wheels, A pillar, bumper, mirrors, and leading edge of roof.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M and no looking back! Only issue I have is bug juice, when it dries the spot will yellow until you get the car in the sunshine. Clean with Plexis/Plexus
Also get the front side of the side view mirrors done.
I have seen a few cars that get the rear painted edge of each wheel well done also.
congrats on your purchase!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For those with clear bra/something else on their 997.2 RS, how did you deal with the decals on the front fender (or the checkerboards for that matter)? I saw one car where the installer had meticulously cut around the "GT3 RS" decals on the front fender - very nice workmanship, but is it required? Can you just put the film over the decal?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
+1000 on the 3M. Get a good installer. Makes all the difference. If you are in the Ohio area, I have an outstanding installer for you...
Scott - does your installer cover Western PS/Pittsburgh area?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM
smboyer
AutoX

Would be very interested in installer recommendations in Ohio area
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ If you can't find one in Ohio, contact Detailing Dynamics in Mineola NY. Excellent work. Did two of my cars.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by nash
For those with clear bra/something else on their 997.2 RS, how did you deal with the decals on the front fender (or the checkerboards for that matter)? I saw one car where the installer had meticulously cut around the "GT3 RS" decals on the front fender - very nice workmanship, but is it required? Can you just put the film over the decal?
Covered the decals. Created a nice silver-looking thin outline on the decals that made them pop. Very happy with result.

If you don't cover decals sharp corners on lettering will start releasing from surface pretty quickly once you start washing and waxing.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: clearbra