Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 PCCB Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
tford
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 PCCB Question

I have an '11 GT3 RS that will be heavily tracked. I have PCCB's on the car and am considering switching to steel (then switch back at sale). I understand there were issues with the Gen 1 PCCB's. Are there known defects with the Gen 2 brakes or are people recommending the switch to steel as a preventative measure due to the cost of replacing PCCB's? Second question, does anyone have experience with Porsche honoring the warranty on PCCB's should a failure occur?

Cheers,
TFord
Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I doubt warranty.

Some guys do great with PCCB second gen. but they might just replace them and not worry about the cost.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

No issues with gen 2 PCCB's. I use them on the track. Awesome performance. But very pricey. New Pads installed by the dealer run about $1300. If you crack or chip a rotor, forget about it. We're talking about $5k each. I get about 12-15 track days out of a set of pads. The fronts go first. They actually bevel as they wear. Haven't worn out or damaged a rotor yet.

Last edited by BBTurbo; 01-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

^ +1

The lightweight rotors are hard to beat. Real downside being cost. Replacement rotors come in PAIRS so if you chip one corner you'll have to replace the whole axle--they're about $10k each. Also, pad choice is limited to Porsche Motorsport P50s (aka the green pads). They're fine pads compared to Pagid 29s and Ferodos I've used on other cars/setups.

The "Gen 1" PCCBs you referred to are the ones on the 996 generation. Those had real problems with premature wear, among other things. Beginning with the 996GT2 and 997 they're all "Gen 2" rotors. Search around and few people have had durability issues with them (cost is a different issue tho!).

FWIW, the PCCB rotors are the same between 997.1 and 997.2 cars. The aluminum hats got lightened, but the ceramic rotors are identical.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I boxed mine up....calipers and all
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I boxed mine up....calipers and all
I did the same with my .1RS. Replaced ceramics with Brembo Type IIIs and never worried about $$s again each time I braked hard at the 80y marker... At the end of the day, though, steelers felt heavy compared to ceramics (at a 4-5 pounds unsprung per corner I'm sure it's got more to do with my fickle mind than actual physics, but aren't we all sticklers for detail...)

I'm ordering the .2RS with ceramics and will track them as they're intended for. Who knows what kind of mileage I'll get of those things
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm running pccb's and have been closely monitoring rotor wear after each track event. so far 60 laps on the ring with this car and 8 track days. I would say thats the equivalent of about 14-15 track days. rotor thickness is exactly the same as new when delivered in Stuttgart. i ran through what i thought was my first set of oem pads back in september but had it checked by Manthey and there was still plenty of material left. i am swapping them to motorsport pads this winter for next season. Manthey motors also said the P50's would last longer and extend the life of the rotors.

The complete set of replacement rotors is $16K from suncoast so its actually $8K per axle set. when you compare to a set of brembo's at nearly $3K per axle set I would have to get 90 track days out of the PCCB's to break even. I don't think this is a problem. of course the oem steels are cheaper but the crack fast and double the weight. the pccb greens P50's are $800 for a complete set. I install them myself so pad wear and cost is not an issue either.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
I'm running pccb's and have been closely monitoring rotor wear after each track event. so far 60 laps on the ring with this car and 8 track days. I would say thats the equivalent of about 14-15 track days. rotor thickness is exactly the same as new when delivered in Stuttgart. i ran through what i thought was my first set of oem pads back in september but had it checked by Manthey and there was still plenty of material left. i am swapping them to motorsport pads this winter for next season. Manthey motors also said the P50's would last longer and extend the life of the rotors.

The complete set of replacement rotors is $16K from suncoast so its actually $8K per axle set. when you compare to a set of brembo's at nearly $3K per axle set I would have to get 90 track days out of the PCCB's to break even. I don't think this is a problem. of course the oem steels are cheaper but the crack fast and double the weight. the pccb greens P50's are $800 for a complete set. I install them myself so pad wear and cost is not an issue either.

Real world experience. And no heresay. Bravo.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

The real thing I fear is stone chips from going into the gravel pit which will put a premature end to any ceramics. Other than that, I'll be a happy customer if my PCCBs last me 20 track days (which is about 1.5 years for me).
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had 35,000 miles on Gen II with my 996GT3, another 25,000 on my 997GT3 zero issues with either other than the worry from the negative comments. The biggest issue is getting off surface into gravel. The rotors are brittle. The answer is "what ever you want". Irons are a known on the cost. As far as warranty, it is your dealer that has to find a way to convince the Porsche regional rep to cover the cost. Porsche WILL ALWAYS SAY NO. If you do not have a positive relationship with the shop people and service manager you have no chance of getting it covered.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I like the feel of my steel set-up over the ceramics.....The ceramics were too on-off for me
Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I like the feel of my steel set-up over the ceramics.....The ceramics were too on-off for me
a common complaint ...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
a common complaint ...
If you try the Stop Tech STR / Endless Pad combo I got from GMG.....you not order your car with ceramics (for track duty). The feel is much.....much better
Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
kush07
Racer

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
New Pads installed by the dealer run about $1300.
In the time it takes to drive round trip to the dealer you can do them yourself and keep almost half of that.

I'm by no means a mechanic and started doing this as soon as I got into tracking my car. It couldn't be easier. IMO, every track enthusiast should know how to do this if not to save money, to at least be able to save your weekend if your pads get low.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
kush07
Racer

Originally Posted by carrering
From what I've read the wear of the PCCBs are not measured by thickness like in an iron rotor, but more on the condition of the rotor. I think you'll start to see the carbon fibers start to separate from the rotor. Others may have a better explanation.

I ran the P50's last season. Love 'em. Make sure you get some heat in them before you push it. I generally drag the brakes a few time during my first lap.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PCCB Question