Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question about swapping 997.2 GT3 sport bucket seats for the standard seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee
Okay thanks. Also, does anyone know how much weight the adaptive sports seats add compared to the standard sports seats?
The short answer is HEAVY. I pulled a pair of adaptive seats out of my .2. The driver side with fire extinguisher was close to 70lbs. The passenger was a little less.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
HK better.
china needs another 10 year to have car "culture".
you, from Shanghai, HK originally?
so right hand drive?
HK... But what's the difference these days when it's all PR of C...

RHD it is. Talking bout car culture it's fun when driving up to china... U know I've had ppl point at my car asking if it's a corvette
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
The short answer is HEAVY. I pulled a pair of adaptive seats out of my .2. The driver side with fire extinguisher was close to 70lbs. The passenger was a little less.
Someone else had claimed 47 lbs heavier (A.S.S. > Standard Sport) for the pair. Seems plausible.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will swap brand new standard seats for your sport buckets. West coast delivery included.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

OP: you should also know that the *** (what an acronym!) seats you considerably higher than the sports bucket. Part of the special feeling about driving a GT is the low, forward seating position. Ask anyone with LW CF buckets and they'll tell u it just feels RIGHT.

Then again I know nothing about your intended use for the car. Just my 0.02 in case you're insane like me.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sport bucket seats feel a little too tight around the shoulder area and the seat back angle is too upright for my preferred driving position.

If I get a car with those seats, how much trouble should I expect to change them to the standard sports seats?

The option cost is $2990 for the sport bucket seats. What would be a reasonable amount that I can ask for if I swap the seats with someone who has the standard seats? Or would it be better to just sell them and buy used sports seats?

Any advice would be appreciated
There are several issues here. First 99.5% of the guys who swap seats go the other way. The new sport buckets are probably the best compromise racing/street driving seat made to date. Lots of bolstering with lots of padding in a seat that is just wide enough. I could not believe how much more comfortable these seats are than the Euro 996 GT3 seats I had in my Carrera (now moved to my 79' SC). They even flip forward so you can actually put stuff in the back. The vertical driving position and extended shoulder rast are to give better posture. They only negative I have experienced with these seats is that the seat brackets are fairly tall and you sit higher as a result.

These seats are about $6500 a pair new from a dealer while only being $3K as an option. Hence anyone who is going to drive a track and get an order allocation orders them. Remember that is Porsche notes that over 75% of these cars are tracked. Since a lot of pre-specced don't have them, they are harder to sell. There are a lot of buyers who want them and you will see a lot of traffic on this forum about cars people have passed on for this reason. Bottom line is to take them out will effect your resale.

From the cost standpoint, a used pair of sport buckets go for $5K while a used set of regular sport seats or adaptive sport seats are in the $2-2.5k range. You could look at buying a pair of used regular sport seats and swap back out when you sell the car. Adaptive sport seats would be an issue to install in your car. Since it was built for sport buckets, you don't have the wiring harnesses for the power or memory functions. It would be extremely expensive to retrofit.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The sport bucket seats feel a little too tight around the shoulder area and the seat back angle is too upright for my preferred driving position.

If I get a car with those seats, how much trouble should I expect to change them to the standard sports seats?

The option cost is $2990 for the sport bucket seats. What would be a reasonable amount that I can ask for if I swap the seats with someone who has the standard seats? Or would it be better to just sell them and buy used sports seats?

Any advice would be appreciated
It will be a straight swap and the the labour for free on your end if you decide to trade out the sport seats. That is the most one can ask for these days with used swaps.

Personally, i would get the standard seats. This is due to the easier entry and exit, and recline feature for the passenger on long drives.
The only reason to have the sport seats is for the lateral hold situations and mostly the harness access. They are also a little lighter and prettier looking but who cares when using the car to get ice cream at the store etc..

i still have my standard seats in boxes for the day i decide to retire the car/sport seats from track duty.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
It will be a straight swap and the the labour for free on your end if you decide to trade out the sport seats. That is the most one can ask for these days with used swaps.

Personally, i would get the standard seats. This is due to the easier entry and exit, and recline feature for the passenger on long drives.
The only reason to have the sport seats is for the lateral hold situations and mostly the harness access. They are also a little lighter and prettier looking but who cares when using the car to get ice cream at the store etc..

i still have my standard seats in boxes for the day i decide to retire the car/sport seats from track duty.
always a smart move ... esp for resale/CPO trade in ...
Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Adaptive sport seats would be an issue to install in your car. Since it was built for sport buckets, you don't have the wiring harnesses for the power or memory functions. It would be extremely expensive to retrofit.
Are you certain about the retrofit expense? My understanding is that they are plug and play. For example, I configured my car order with standard seats yet the *** plugged right in. When I switched to the lightweight buckets, they had the same plug too. The seat belts sensors worked as intended and there was a place holder in the plugs for the missing components (airbags and occupancy senor feeds).

Additionally, GT3s don't have/come with memory functions for the *** seats so I don't think that is an issue either.

In your with the new .2 GT3, have you experienced something different to confirm the lack of wiring?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I have the adaptive sports seats. Nice, but I would prefer the sport bucket seats. I'll trade if you are interested.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
I have the adaptive sports seats. Nice, but I would prefer the sport bucket seats. I'll trade if you are interested.
you might want to keep those in boxes in case you want to sell/CPO trade your car.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
OP: you should also know that the *** (what an acronym!) seats you considerably higher than the sports bucket. Part of the special feeling about driving a GT is the low, forward seating position. Ask anyone with LW CF buckets and they'll tell u it just feels RIGHT.

Then again I know nothing about your intended use for the car. Just my 0.02 in case you're insane like me.
I disagree. I have the adaptive sports seats in my '09 C2S and the Sport buckets in my Cayman and basically I can adjust the Adaptive sports seats as low as the sports buckets.

I like the sports bucket for the track, and my wife and I prefer the adaptive sports seats for traveling. Primarily as they are easier to get in and out of. That said we drove the Cayman ( sports bucket seats) to Parade last year. 1200 miles plus each way and we are both 68 and I have a bad back. Very comfortable for long trips.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I disagree. I have the adaptive sports seats in my '09 C2S and the Sport buckets in my Cayman and basically I can adjust the Adaptive sports seats as low as the sports buckets.

I like the sports bucket for the track, and my wife and I prefer the adaptive sports seats for traveling. Primarily as they are easier to get in and out of. That said we drove the Cayman ( sports bucket seats) to Parade last year. 1200 miles plus each way and we are both 68 and I have a bad back. Very comfortable for long trips.
I cant be certain, since I had sports buckets in my .1 and *** in my .2 but I think you are basically correct that the *** can be lowered to the same level as the Sports Buckets.

The Buckets are a great mixed use seat for street/track ... I wish I had never sold my set!

but I would never swap them just in case I wanted to resell the car or CPO trade it where having the original *** could be important (you can always resell the Sports Buckets separately)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you might want to keep those in boxes in case you want to sell/CPO trade your car.
You probably are right, but I am one of those aforemenitoned "lucky" few who got the A.S.S. seats for free. I have often wondered if someone would question why the A.S.S. seats aren't listed as an option on my build sheet/window sticker.

I'm having a roll bar installed as we speak, so the next obvious step is seats and harness. Can you suggest a good (meaning reasonably priced) alternative? There are so many choices out there.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

You probably are right, but I am one of those aforemenitoned "lucky" few who got the A.S.S. seats for free. I have often wondered if someone would question why the A.S.S. seats aren't listed as an option on my build sheet/window sticker.
hopefully they should be listed as an option on the sticker under the hood, so you will be ok there...

I'm having a roll bar installed as we speak, so the next obvious step is seats and harness. Can you suggest a good (meaning reasonably priced) alternative? There are so many choices out there.
Well, it all depends, I personally would recommend either Sports Buckets or the 996GT3 Recaros; not only because they are great seats but they also "fit in" with the interior design of the car.

Recaro and Sparco amongst others make excellent seats, I had Evo II's in my RS America, but it was a dedicated track car.

It also depends on your stature, and preferences as well as usage mix ...

Quick Reply: Question about swapping 997.2 GT3 sport bucket seats for the standard seats